Stupid Driver Stories

Wow, I've got a real gem.

There is a hill that I travel nearly every day, it's got 3 blind corners First a sharp, then a loose then another sharp. Around every corner there are hidden driveways and in some cases streets.

I was traveling down the hill, and a man turn left off a side street just below the loose curve. He didn't quite turn the wheel enough to make the turn and suddenly over corrected and ended up with the nose of ihs car on the wrong side of the road, he stops, rolls backwards slightly and navigates back onto his side of the road. He starts to approach the loose turn and once again he turns way too far and puts his entire car into my lane and then jerks back into his own lane. I decide to pull my car off onto a side street until he passes me, which was clearly a good idea since he drove up the center of the road right until he approached the final sharp turn at the top of the hill. I suddenly hear the engine start to scream, I glance in my rear view mirror to see that he did not turn, he went straight off the road, hit a ditch and ended up with his car resting at a 35-40 degree angle on a tree.

Of course 2 of the other vehicles who witnessed the event nearly crashed themselves because they were distracted by the insanity of this mans driving. I can only assume that he was high or extremely drunk. But I can't help but wonder what would possess a man that's driving so poorly as to make a normal drunk person look like the worlds safest driver to get into a car in the first place. I've never ever seen anything like this before.

Yesterday i drove to Munich.
I expected being overtaken, just because my numberplate tells i'm from the countryside, but this one guy overdid it...

I was driving in the left lane at a normal pace (80 in a 50 kmh zone!) and this guy in his pimped out beemer cabrio overtakes me on the right side and then sticks to the back of a truck. Kinda stupid, right? if you overtake, why would you not overtake the truck going half my speed???
So I'm catching up to him and the truck, overtaking both, as that idiot suddently pulls out without looking! My front bumber already reached his B-Pillar, how can you not see that?
I braked hard and honked at him and he just pulls out like nothing happened.

I'm just speechless at so much idiocyo_O

5 kms along the road another guy in a surprisingly fast renault family van cut 3 lanes without looking...

edit: there also was another guy who did what the beemer guy should've done: overtook me and another truck in one take. it still is stupid but atleast there's not as much risk involved

Last edited:
Um... one thought about that: Mobile phone? Because people chatting with other people on the phone while driving, are the usual explanation for irrational and unpredictable driving habits.

Then again... you said it was Munich, right? That alone explains a lot :D

Last edited:
Am I the only one getting depressed by the stupid drivers I'm seeing in Germany?

This probably comes from years of reading Car & Driver and Road & Track magazines, but I've long had this image in my head of Germany being a driver's paradise; where drivers pay attention to their driving, and strict lane discipline is the norm. What I'm seeing and reading doesn't seem that much different from what I witness here in California. Now I do realize that perhaps not all of the offending drivers are German; but I still feel like I did when I learned that there was no Santa Claus.

Dear asshat in a new Audi A6, my car will not go up in thin air no matter hom much you flash your lights. Also, if you would have looked 10 meters ahead you would have noticed the roadworks. That's why EVERYBODY were driving slower then usual.

Dear asshat in a new Audi A6, my car will not go up in thin air no matter hom much you flash your lights. Also, if you would have looked 10 meters ahead you would have noticed the roadworks. That's why EVERYBODY were driving slower then usual.

I think I spotted the problem.

Priz, you're the exception to the rule.

Not a stupid driver in motion story, but a bit of fun nonetheless. The highlight so far of my business trip to Arizona was my first experience of In-n-Out. The highlight of that, other than the truly great burger they make, was the car parked outside with a "Meat Is Murder" bumper sticker. Parked at an In-n-Out. Oy vey. Three guesses what kind of car was attached to the bumper sticker. And if it did take you three guesses to say "PT Cruiser", you should feel a bit ashamed.

Priz, you're the exception to the rule.

Not a stupid driver in motion story, but a bit of fun nonetheless. The highlight so far of my business trip to Arizona was my first experience of In-n-Out. The highlight of that, other than the truly great burger they make, was the car parked outside with a "Meat Is Murder" bumper sticker. Parked at an In-n-Out. Oy vey. Three guesses what kind of car was attached to the bumper sticker. And if it did take you three guesses to say "PT Cruiser", you should feel a bit ashamed.

I must be ashamed, because my three guesses were Prius, Prius and Prius.

I must be ashamed, because my three guesses were Prius, Prius and Prius.

In the States, "Meat Is Murder" was fashionable at the same time the PT Soul-Crusher was. Prii are a newer out-of-fashion item, or it will be out of fashion when the Volt and Leaf get here in quantity.

That may be a while. Both have been available for more than three months. They've sold less than 100 Leafs and less than 400 Volts.

Apparently nobody wants them - at least not enough to give up their Prius.

Are you sure it wasn't this sticker?
https://pic.armedcats.net/p/ph/phoenixsac/2011/04/08/unnamed.jpg
In-N-Out does do a grilled cheese, though. It's on their "secret" menu.

That may be a while. Both have been available for more than three months. They've sold less than 100 Leafs and less than 400 Volts.

Apparently nobody wants them - at least not enough to give up their Prius.

It could also be, for the Volt at least, that it's not available nationwide yet. Only a select few states have it on sale. It won't be available in Pennsylvania until summer (late-June, I think).

Last edited:
Am I the only one getting depressed by the stupid drivers I'm seeing in Germany?

This probably comes from years of reading Car & Driver and Road & Track magazines, but I've long had this image in my head of Germany being a driver's paradise; where drivers pay attention to their driving, and strict lane discipline is the norm. What I'm seeing and reading doesn't seem that much different from what I witness here in California. Now I do realize that perhaps not all of the offending drivers are German; but I still feel like I did when I learned that there was no Santa Claus.
The majority of drivers (at least 95%) do stick to the rules and don't attract attention. This thread is just the essence of the other 5% who don't and not only from one person but from various persons all over the country. If I would write a post about every driver who wasn't stupid I could fill a whole thread in just a week or so.

Are you getting this impression from my videos? I hope not, because those are just snapshots.

You can rely on people following the rules here in almost all cases and at almost all times. For example you can count on people looking in the mirror, before they change lanes. Otherwise we would have crashes with fatalities on the Autobahn every minute or so.

However, when almost everybody strictly follows the rules, you rely on that. When a single person doesn't follow the rules, it comes as a surprise for most other drivers. That's how dangerous situations here usually develop. To master such a situation, you need experience. Driving fast on the Autobahn, for instance, requires experience and a sixth sense for what is going to happen in front of you. You have ro learn to "read" other drivers' behaviour and foresee their likely reaction. I kinda developed an instinct for how people react on the Autobahn -- when I have to slow down and when not -- and I'm sure that most other experienced Autobahn drivers will tell you the same. I dare saying, that hardly anything can surprise me there.

However, when you live in a country, where you know that most of the drivers haven't even got a proper drivers training, before they're let loose on the road and thus are widely ignorant towards the dangers of driving a car, you develop a completely different driving style. You don't rely on the other drivers' instinct for self preservation as much.

That's (thankfully) not, how we have to drive here. It's more like "You can rely on drivers following the rules but keep your sixth sense active, just in case." Most stupid road behaviour happens inside towns and cities anyway. That's also where most fatal accidents happen.

Since I happen to have the current numbers, here they are for comparison.

Where do accidents happen in Germany?

In towns/villages/cities: 73 %
On country roads/highways: 20 %
On Autobahns: 7 %

Where do fatal accidents happen in Germany?

In towns/villages/cities: 30 %
On country roads/highways: 59 %
On Autobahns: 11 %

That shows, that the Autobahn -- despite the lack of a general speed limit -- is the safest road in Germany by far and it's the inner city traffic and the country roads you have to worry about.

Last edited:
It won't be available in Pennsylvania until summer (late-June, I think).

August was quoted in the Pitt News.

Here's a fun one for you: walking down to lunch from seeing our senior design advisor, we come up to an intersection where the light's green, but a girl in a Honda can't move because there's a line and she'd be blocking the intersection.

So she whips out her phone and texts.

Line moves, light's still green (but pedestrian crossing signs are blinking that it'll change soon), she's texting away. Light changes to red, she finally looks up, and then turns right, threading her Civic between pedestrians crossing against the light and in defiance of the "No Turn On Red".

Stopped at the lights in the middle of town yesterday, this woman pulls up behind in a new CR-V. She then proceeds to pull out a magazine and start reading it. Light goes green, and she just sits there. I lost her in my mirror before she even set off.

In-N-Out -- Curing vegetarianism.