The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

they all arrive, none leaves? they're stacking planes there or sth?

there is one that leaves (around 20s) but it just makes a loop and returns...

Here's an animation that shows the whole cycle:

A few years ago I took a tour of DHL's hub in Wilminton, Ohio during the night rush. It's a huge operation with dozens of planes all landing within a few hours then they all get sent out again a few hours later.

I have my first ever flying lesson in a Cessna 152 tomorrow... I really can't wait :D

Welcome to the club! I can still remember my first lesson like it was yesterday. Enjoy it and best of luck.

Ditto, good luck Jon and enjoy yourself. :thumbup:
(Don't worry about all the noise & vibration on the ground, it gets better once you are aloft.)

Speaking of lessons I'm 12 hours away from my first cross country in a foreign land. It should be an interesting experience with open water and ATC that speaks less than perfect English.

Have a good flight and don't forget to wear your lifejacket. :p

The Ryan FR-1 Fireball. Because its an obscure naval fighter from the end of WW2. And because It has a piston engine and a jet engine. And because somebody thought it was a good idea to name a plane Fireball :|

773px-Ryan_FR-1_Fireball_VF-66_North_Island_1945.jpg

FR-1s_NAN4-61.jpg

FR-1_2HVAR_NAN12-45.jpg

FR-1_Fireball.jpg

FR-1_Fireball_engines_off.jpg

Problem, gravity?

The Ryan FR-1 Fireball. Because its an obscure naval fighter from the end of WW2. And because It has a piston engine and a jet engine. And because somebody thought it was a good idea to name a plane Fireball :|

FR-1_Fireball_engines_off.jpg

Problem, gravity?

Formation feathered props? :?
(Guess the camera plane is possibly a US Navy version of the B-25.)

I love any WW2 plane with radial engines, especially one I've never seem before. Rare plane with only 66 ever built, due to the end of WW2. Wilki linki

:)

Welcome to the club! I can still remember my first lesson like it was yesterday. Enjoy it and best of luck.

Speaking of lessons I'm 12 hours away from my first cross country in a foreign land. It should be an interesting experience with open water and ATC that speaks less than perfect English.

The area in which I fly is often packed with overseas students, and half the time you cannot understand what they're trying to say to the tower :lol:

The area in which I fly is often packed with overseas students, and half the time you cannot understand what they're trying to say to the tower :lol:

That's the TRUTH!! The professional school I'm currently attending is 97% international. My Multi-Commerical systems course today was definitely representative of that!

Formation feathered props? :?

Flying on jet engines alone, with the radials shut down :) gotta love the WTF factor of that picture, especially since you can rule out a fast camera shutter speed causing the stopped props right away because of the spinning prop in the foreground.

Haha, wow, that little plane got thrown around like it was nothing.

That looked expensive...

But geeze that CRJ had NO chance in the world!

I'm amazed the CRJ got tossed like that. I would have expected the stabilizer to shear off, but I guess planes are built stronger than my expectations.

My first flying lesson today was absolutely incredible..

It was in a Cirrus sr20 and my god it was fun. (The thing has a parachute!? :blink: )

If i ever come into a lot of money, i will for sure be going for my PPL.. Hell, not even a lot of money.. a little bit more than now maybe..

We negotiated airspace with an Apache.. :cool:

Sounds awesome! I remember my first time in anything with wings was the trial lesson I got for my 18th. (Yes, they did have planes back then - it was a two man Wright Flyer :p )

Since then though I went on a corporate day with a supplier who took us gliding and I was hooked. Nothing quite like the peace and quiet up there. OK so as actual transportation it doesn't work, but as recreation it's pretty amazing. I recommend anyone try it at least once, especially winch launches which are a bit of a mind fuck the first time you do one!!!

It was in a Cirrus sr20 and my god it was fun. (The thing has a parachute!? :blink: )

If i ever come into a lot of money, i will for sure be going for my PPL.. Hell, not even a lot of money.. a little bit more than now maybe..

Glad to hear that!

Mine went well too considering it was my first cross country in the better part of 3 years. It was a bit hectic at first but I soon settled down and it was easy from there. Talking to the not-so-perfect English speaking controllers was a little tough but not bad. I found myself having to listen to the whole message to figure out what they were saying instead of taking it word-by-word like usual. Navigation was far easier than what I was used to in the US. Before I had countless roads, towns, rivers, etc. to confuse with each other but here it's just a coastline that runs in the direction of my destinations.

It was also the first time since I got to this island two years ago that I haven't been able to see this island.

The SR20 is a sweet plane. I did a 40 page analysis project on it in one of my aero courses a couple of years ago. Got to know it fairly well. Maybe one day I'll get a chance to fly it.