The "New Toys" Thread

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2011/04/11/sandyvagbuild.jpg

Intel Core i7 2600K
Asus P8H67-I ITX motherboard
LianLi PC-Q07 aluminum ITX case
Intel 510 Elm Crest SSD 120GB
G.Skill 2x4GB 1333MHz DDR3 (204-pin SODIMMs to fit the Asus board)
XFX Radeon 5750 single slot
Sony 27x DVD burner (chosen solely due to lack of branding)

Do you guys think this has enough oomph to play Farmville and chat on Skype? :wicked:

No Overclocking for you. Go do seppuku now D:

EDIT: post 666 \m/>_<\m/

Last edited:
Oh yes, the Radeon HD 5850 is a real steamhammer... :shock: :love:

Now using DisplayPort ... any advantage over HDMI or DVI?
There is no difference in normal usage, only if you really need one special feature which the other connections don't have. If you don't know which special feature each connection has, you almost certainly don't need it. ;)

There is no difference in normal usage, only if you really need one special feature which the other connections don't have. If you don't know which special feature each connection has, you almost certainly don't need it. ;)

Meh, at least I'll have a sexier smaller connector than the bulky DVI with its screws, and have the two safety latches compared to HDMI.

I hate you so much right now. I want a new computer :(

Trust me, my situation right now is not at all enviable... not regarding this new computer any way.

No Overclocking for you. Go do seppuku now D:

No shit, I did my research. I grew disinterested in overclocking when I left high school, so no loss there... if the damned thing worked I wouldn't care if it underclocked itself.

Meh, at least I'll have a sexier smaller connector than the bulky DVI with its screws, and have the two safety latches compared to HDMI.

Don't turn your monitor off. It sends a "monitor disconnected" signal through DP to your PC.

That is the ONLY reason I don't use DP on my 25".

It fucks everything up because I have multiple monitors so my computer herp derps around changing resolutions and flip flopping my taskbar around.

Damn annoying.

Ouch that would be annoying. My VGA adapter works the other way around, when the PC goes to sleep the monitor thinks it's not plugged into anything.

No shit, I did my research. I grew disinterested in overclocking when I left high school, so no loss there... if the damned thing worked I wouldn't care if it underclocked itself.

Then why did you get the 2600K instead of just the regular 2600?

Just curious.....

Don't turn your monitor off. It sends a "monitor disconnected" signal through DP to your PC.

That is the ONLY reason I don't use DP on my 25".

It fucks everything up because I have multiple monitors so my computer herp derps around changing resolutions and flip flopping my taskbar around.

Damn annoying.

I have noticed turning off my monitor will mildly change my desktop symbols... that explains it. *digs out the DVI cable again*

I have noticed turning off my monitor will mildly change my desktop symbols... that explains it. *digs out the DVI cable again*

My roomate installed a Eyefinity-6 setup for one of the traders at his firm with 6 30-inch Dell monitors and a 6870 Eyefinity.

I've seen a video. Every time one of those monitors gets turned off the entire rig derps the fuck out. DP is great in every way except for that one, and that one limitation forces me to not use it at all.

Last edited:
Ultramon has a feature that attempts to save and restore your desktop layout, not sure if it works though as I've never had to use it.

Mini-Displayport, bitch!
Well, that one has the same limitations as the normal sized Displayport, and if you have the choice between having a slightly bigger connector and a connector that fucks everything up when you turn your monitor off and on I would go for the slightly bigger connector, too.

You guys actually turn your monitors off? I just leave mine on standby. I've had issues with one of them randomly deciding not to turn on after i turn it off.

Standby still needs power even when it's idle. Also, my monitor still has a flashing light on the power button that's kind ofnnoying.