The GNU/Linux thread

What's Chrome and why doesn't it appear in my Software Center? D'you mean Chromium?
Anyway, can anyone spot at which point I closed Opera?

w1rard.png
Chrome as in Google's web browser. Chromium is their OS isn't it?

Chrome as in Google's web browser. Chromium is their OS isn't it?

Well you were just dropping a smartass reply to my post so I thought might as well be smartass square :p
Chromium is an open source browser, Google packages it with some of their features and branding along with Flash and calls it Chrome. Their OS is Google Chrome OS
Chrome doesn't show in the software center (at least mine) but you can get it manually from Google... but if you do search for Chrome in the SC, you get Chromium (am I confusing everyone yet?)

Well you were just dropping a smartass reply to my post so I thought might as well be smartass square :p
Chromium is an open source browser, Google packages it with some of their features and branding along with Flash and calls it Chrome. Their OS is Google Chrome OS
Chrome doesn't show in the software center (at least mine) but you can get it manually from Google... but if you do search for Chrome in the SC, you get Chromium (am I confusing everyone yet?)
Beyond confusing :p I'm mostly confuse why anyone would ever use Opera outside of a mobile device :tease:
@chaos386 :thumbsup:

Beyond confusing :p I'm mostly confuse why anyone would ever use Opera outside of a mobile device :tease:
@chaos386 :thumbsup:

Because it has all the tools that other browsers try to implement through annoying "add-ons" or "extensions" that have to be updated 10 times a month. (example. reload every, mouse gestures, as far as I remember it was the first browser with tabs...)

Last edited:
Because it has all the tools that other browsers try to implement through annoying "add-ons" or "extensions" that have to be updated 10 times a month. (example. reload every, mouse gestures, as far as I remember it was the first browser with tabs...)
AFAIK you are correct about it being the first tabbed browser. I used it a long long time ago back on dial up because it was appreciably faster than anything else but when they went ad supported dumped it because of the ads taking up half the screen.

This should be in random thoughts not Linux thread :p It's interesting how different people prefer different things. You call extensions/add-ons annoying but a lot of people (myself included) prefer that approach. It lets me only have the features I want instead of paying the cost (performance/space wise) for something I don't want at all. Like mouse gestures for instance.

I switched to Chrome when FF started being stupid slow and eating 50% of my CPU for no reason. Since they use the webkit engine which is also used in Safari (mobile and desktop) and Android phones/tablets so the market share is large enough for a decent number of sites to make sure it works with them. Google services integration and a nifty sync feature that syncs extensions, bookmarks, passwords (if you crazy enough to keep em in the browser), cookies, etc... That made my move to a new PC quite a bit easier :)

Well to bring it back to topic has anyone tried the Ubuntu 11.04 beta 2 released yesterday?
I think I'll stay on 10.10 till 12.04 comes along, for some reason.

I tried beta 1, and was quite happy with it. I'm currently just using my OS X desktop and my Chrome laptop though, so it's a moot point (although I think it is possible to install Unbuntu on the Cr-48, I haven't tried). I'll probably at least fire it up in a VM when the final version is released. I've switched all my servers over to Debian stable though, so other than a couple FG server hold-overs, I'm not dealing with Ubuntu much. Since servers are console anyway, it's not really noticeable which version it is running, but we're running the latest LTS release, and will not move off that until a new one is out or we switch to Debian on the remaining servers.

Yah, next LTS is 12.04, that's why I was saying I might hold out for that... And also because upgrading from 10.10 to the next gen has all the signs of not being a smooth process (specially when gnome is going and in comes Unity)

Yah, next LTS is 12.04, that's why I was saying I might hold out for that... And also because upgrading from 10.10 to the next gen has all the signs of not being a smooth process (specially when gnome is going and in comes Unity)

I've been curious to see what Unity looks like actually. Keep hearing good things about it.

They're getting rid of Gnome? That is interesting, I wasn't a huge fan but I have been out of the loop for a few years. Kubuntu was my flavor of choice but only because it was vaguely Windows-like.

Ubuntu 11.04 is out in all of its Unity glory. Playing with the LiveCD right now. So far looks like they OS X'ed the balls out of the UI.

I haven't tried it since beta 2, but I liked what they had done at that point. Of course, I do run OS X, so that may explain my enjoyment of the new UI. I've been sticking to my ChromeOS laptop and my hackintosh desktop though (selling my Ubuntu/Win7 laptop to get a new macbook). I'll probably load it into a VM at the very least and give it a whirl, but for now OS X is all I want to use for my daily-use machines.

I didn't like it. Everything is harder to find now. It's not a matter of 'not being used to it', I just don't like dockbars, and I haven't seen an option to turn it off and have a more traditional menu system, so I'm sticking to 10.10 as said.
I wrote some more here.

I didn't like it. Everything is harder to find now. It's not a matter of 'not being used to it', I just don't like dockbars, and I haven't seen an option to turn it off and have a more traditional menu system, so I'm sticking to 10.10 as said.
I wrote some more here.

Was gonna say that.

It does seem somewhat awkward to use, I think the left hand side dockbar is kinda crappy and the "start menu" really shouldn't have been redesigned like that. One thing that Windows does really well is that menu OS X's Applications Folder approach is kinda crappy IMO, the only way they get away with it is having great search that can point you to what you need. I have yet to play around with Ubuntu's search function (installed it last night after building a Bowflex so didn't spend much time playing with it) but so far the UI is a bit cluttered for my taste.

Also it confuses the balls out of me because it looks so OS X like I try to use same kbd shortcuts I do on my MBP and they don't work :p

Last edited:
Installed it yesterday night (clean install, not upgrade).

I kinda like it, but right now I have a lot of stuff missing that I'll need to re-install.

One thing though, it doesn't seem to auto-mount my USB external drive and my network drive anymore. Going to try to mount them manually tonight, and look for a setting for auto-mount.

Installed it yesterday night (clean install, not upgrade).

I kinda like it, but right now I have a lot of stuff missing that I'll need to re-install.

One thing though, it doesn't seem to auto-mount my USB external drive and my network drive anymore. Going to try to mount them manually tonight, and look for a setting for auto-mount.

Is your drive NTFS by chance? I remember Ubuntu having some issues with auto mounting NTFS drives.

Is your drive NTFS by chance? I remember Ubuntu having some issues with auto mounting NTFS drives.

That wouldn't explain the problems of the network drive, and the USB one contains multiple partitions, one EXT3, and one probably NTFS.

That wouldn't explain the problems of the network drive, and the USB one contains multiple partitions, one EXT3, and one probably NTFS.

NFC.... Ext partitions don't auto mount IIRC or rather they do but they don't show up as removable drives.