F1 coming to USA

So the past couple of months I've been thinking and pondering on how perfect it is for this race to land in 2012, the year I graduate high school. I've been thinking about heading down there as a graduation present, I haven't put it past my parent but I'm sure they would think it was a good idea. I just need to know when the race will be to make my decision.

Austin is the JAM! Probably one of the best cities in the US, if not the best. Seriously, Austin would make a good graduation trip whether there was an F1 race there or not. Great food, tons of stuff to do, super laid-back vibe, awesome people...awww, now I'm homesick.

For weather reasons, I hope they make the race either really early-season or really late-season (April or October). If it gets slotted in next to the current Canadian GP in mid-June, it's already going to be getting hotter'n'hell. Considering all the costs and time involved in moving the teams, though, they'll probably put it the week after Canada. But any time they make it will be pretty awesome. After all, it will be in Austin.

I think at least for the first year it will be at the end of the season to make sure there is enough time to complete the track. It will probably be near the Brazilian Grand Prix so the teams can just stay there instead of going back to Europe.

Construction begins at new US GP venue

By Jonathan Noble Friday, December 31st 2010, 10:21 GMT
1293782750.jpg

United States Grand Prix officials have proved they are firmly on course to get the new Austin track ready on time for its inaugural 2012 race after finally beginning construction work on the circuit.

Following behind-the-scenes progress in recent months to get the necessary paperwork in place so it could begin building works, the race's promoter Tavo Hellmund was on hand on Thursday to oversee the official groundbreaking at the area known as Wandering Creek.

Although there is still plenty of work to do before the $250 million (USD) facility is ready for F1 cars, the fact that contractors are now on site and are beginning their initial work is a big boost for those who have worked hard in recent months to overcome the administrative hurdles.

The track has been designed by F1 architect Hermann Tilke, and construction will be overseen by Dallas-based construction company Austin Commercial.

Hellmund, who pulled off a major coup in securing a United States GP deal with Bernie Ecclestone earlier this year, has also managed to secure investment and backers since the deal was announced.

As well as having biking legend Kevin Schwantz on hand to raise the event's profile in the United States, Hellmund has secured the support of well-known American businessman Red McCombs to help his effort.

At a press conference in July, McCombs said he had no doubts the track would be ready in time for 2012 - and he had made that clear to Ecclestone in conversations he had had with him.

"Bernie said: 'How do you think you are going to get a facility built in Austin in time for the 2012 race'," explained McCombs. "I told him remember you are talking about doing this in Texas, we are not talking about doing it anywhere else. We have that reputation."

Autosport

Couple of days old now but noone else has posted it. Glad to see this project under way :)

In that video they allude to having cycling and marathons at that same park (the entire complex)
Am I the only one lol'ing at the idea of hundreds of marathon runners taking the racing line around a circuit for 20 laps?

In that video they allude to having cycling and marathons at that same park (the entire complex)
Am I the only one lol'ing at the idea of hundreds of marathon runners taking the racing line around a circuit for 20 laps?

One of the problems the track has had locally...and politically...is that there is a relatively large group of locals that do not see the reason for a single-purpose track. To that end, the developers are going all-out to show that while F1 is the primary reason the track is here, that there will be events..or at least something going on there...almost every day.

Running is huge in this part of the country. But I can't see driving out to Elroy just to do it...or even to hold a marathon there. I'm betting that pic is there just for the locals.

Any comments on the official name?
Circuit of the Americas

I think its a tad bit pretentious, specially considering the other circuits in America (the whole of it) that have held F1 races for years. Brazil and Argentina specially.

I think the general idea is that it sort of bridges the two continents being quasi-central in location. I like the name, I think it is supposed to intimate that it will be the premier circuit of this hemisphere, which it very well could be.

I think the general idea is that it sort of bridges the two continents being quasi-central in location. I like the name, I think it is supposed to intimate that it will be the premier circuit of this hemisphere, which it very well could be.

Of the hemisphere? The northern hemisphere you mean? Whoa.

Last edited:
They aren't in F1 calendar. I was saying only about F1 tracks. Of course there are much more great and famous tracks in US.

Silverstone is in the Western Hemisphere.