Anyone here Greek? (not nationality)

As far as I'm able to gather from living across the street from frat row, that's about it.

I'm not greek right now, but I'm considering trying to joing Delta Kappa Epsilon or Delta Upsilon.

Well I can only speak from my own experience but here goes:

1. My fraternity was the first to be established on the teaching of Jesus Christ hence the name Alpha Tau Omega (Alpha and Omega a self explanatory and the Tau is a cross)

2. My dad's parents actually moved to the US from Greece when they were both Children, and they both think it is funny to have "Greek" houses.

3. While we do drink together (but that pretty much happens whenever large groups of guys congregate). But fraternities do a lot of positive things as well.

a. Help freshman adapt to life in college (our fraternity had a mentor program with someone from you own major)
b. Community involvement our house did work and fund raising for both St. Jude Children's hospital (one of the members before my time lost a brother to cancer at a young age) and we also had a local charity which was Stillwater Mission of Hope which is a local homeless shelter.
c. Pretty much it is just a way to enjoy your time in college and some of the bigger national fraternities have excellent job placement offices.

Also if you wanted to know one of the cool things we did at Oklahoma State was a very large homecoming where the houses would "pomp" crepe paper onto chicken wire to make what we called house decks. I couldn't find any good pictures to show scale but here is a detail shot. The house decks are built on the front lawn of the fraternity houses who are teamed up with one sorority. They are about 20 feet by 60 feet (6 meters by 18 meters) in size and can get pretty elaborate.

1646894263_b00af35c0c.jpg

sorry for the long post.

I'm not in a frat, but if i lived in the U.S., i'd join Delta Tau Chi :p

Any Chi Psi's on the board? It's weird to see the different levels of prominence depending on the campus, and various levels of reputation good or bad.

Sigma Nu at U of I is a dead frat, terrible location, no good parties, poor sorority affiliation. Seems like its fun at CMU. My brother is a Sigma Alpha Epsilon and it was sweet at Purdue, but bad at U of I with a terrible record of being shit down for drug offenses.

I do seem to come across some that are almost universally bad, Pikes and Teaks come to mind.

crest_delta_chi.gif

Delta Chi, Syracuse chapter. We were the off-campus "misfits" of SU Greek life, which was a big part of campus. A lot of people weren't "frat" but a handful were, which seemed to be at odds with the rest of us. I had a good time pledging but didn't get as much out of it as I should have, and don't talk to my brothers that much, if at all. Some say that fraternity life molds people into becoming gentlemen; I say it happened when I left.

Hey, to each his own. I'm a sucker for a group mentality?being an Eagle Scout was one of my most proud accomplishments, for example.

I think it is what you put into it, my lodge tried very hard to keep the "frattier" element out, and admitted only pledges who weren't complete fuck ups. Chi Psi tends to stress academics more though on the national level. I met some of my best friends in house, but also met a lot of guys I don't keep up with now that I'm gone.

I think as a whole U of I enjoyed a healthy Greek Life, as we have the largest greek system in the country. We've even extended past the traditional black fraternities, and the campus has many South Asian and Hispanic fraternities and sororities. In total I would guess more than 50 chapters probably are on campus.

Oh boy, why does it smell like Busch Light and repressed homosexuality in here?

Not any more, the reek of haterade has blown it away.

Well, I'm listening to FratMusic.com right now. Does that count? I'm also actually wearing a letter hoodie at the moment, but we're [Phi Beta Lambda] technically a "professional business organization" and if you say anything otherwise, you get struck by the wrath of the leadership team. I know this from experience.

I heard all of these fraternity-things have cult-like qualities and horde demons in various basements to which they sacrifice dumb students on Easter and Tuesdays.

On the bright side though, they also have Sarah Michelle Gellar kicking the demons' asses. So that's good.