Who here borrows/loans lenses from/to serious photographer friends?

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
And by friends I mean close friends that you trust, that take photography and treat their equipement with as much respect as you treat their own?

Did you lean towards choosing one system (lets say Canon or Nikon for simplicity's sake) because the majority of your local, real-life photog friends used that system, enabling everyone to share their equipment to try out.

If you're totally averse to borrowing/lending camera gear, that is fine, nothing wrong with that, but then no need to reply to this thread, this question is posed towards those who are cool with it.

My own personal experience is my friends into photography are pretty much split down the middle of the Nikon Canon camps so that really didn't influence my choice of system, but I do know my Canon friends who happen to know each other do lend each other their speciality L prime or zoom lenses to each other from time to time. it's nice to be able to use an 85mm f 1.2 L for a day without having to pay rental fees or buy one.

Likewise I was able to borrow my friends Nikon mount Tokina 12-24 f4 just to compare with my 11-16 f 2.8 because I'm thinking of changing my UWA.

i have couple of canon-shooting friends im more than willing to loan my equipment to. Ive loaned also from them and we havent had any problems with this "deal" as long as we do treat the equipment like they should be treated, loaned or own.

Oh, totally, all the time. Most of my buds shoot Canon, but we share everything that isn't mount specific. Some of my studio gear is out on loan, I'm borrowing a 6X17 120 LF back so I can fab up an adapter to make a shiftable 65mm ultrawide pano setup, etc.

Unfortunately I cannot share any of my equipment or borrow any (apart from the odd tripod) since I'm using a Sony A200 and everyone else I know has Canon's. However, I do have a friend who also uses Sony but lives quite a bit away and we do share settings for photos if we like something the other one has taken and we have bought things for our SLR's off each other when we haven't found a use for the thing any more.

Being the first in my 'group' to get an SLR meant I wasn't swayed when I first got it, so I got it purely on how it felt in my hands (something which I think people forget to think about before going straight to Canon or Nikon, not that I have anything against them), it just so happened afterwards that everyone else went for Canon. I don't mind though, with the group of friends/camera people, I wouldn't really trust them with my things anyway if I'm perfectly honest.

I occasionally lend lenses to friends; most of whom I convinced to buy Canon gear in the first place. I sold both of my 400D's kit lenses this way; but more recently it's been the 10-22 EF-S and 35mm/2 that I've been lending. Usually only when I'm there on the day though as I tend to go weeks without using things, and as soon as I lend them to someone I find a sudden absolute need to use it (bah!)