Geneva 2011: Toyota FT-86 II Concept is one step closer to production

$20k is a little too good to be true, so is 1000 kg. Those specs would put it very high on the list for my next car.

The Genesis Coupe starts at only a little more, ~22k. I think 20k is possible, but at that price it'll probably come with nearly nothing and look like a plastic factory inside.

I don't care about cheap plastic personally. I was perfectly happy with my '97 Mustang. Execution is the critical important part.

Agreed. Celica, Supra, MR2, none of them were known for sumptuous interiors. Give it a passable interior and a driving experience to put cars twice its price to shame, and that's all you need. It worked for the Corvette, and if they do it right, it'll work for this.

That's how much it weighs in GT5. I'm pretty sure I saw it in print somewhere too, but I can't seem to find it now. Either way that was the first iteration of the concept.

The current MX-5 only weighs 1095kg as well, so I think it's possible. It's likely that the actual car will be heavier than they want it to be, but I (want to) see something sub 1100kg.

i know that MR-2 stood for Mid-engine Rear-drive 2 Seater

i believe FR-S stands for Front-engine Rear-drive Sport coupe, or something along those lines?

They should badge it the Toyota JBTFT.

Just Build The Fucking Thing!

I think I said in here at some point that it made sense for it to be a Scion, but I have to admit now that I've seen it I'd somehow feel better about it if it had a Toyota badge.

The current MX-5 only weighs 1095kg as well, so I think it's possible. It's likely that the actual car will be heavier than they want it to be, but I (want to) see something sub 1100kg.

The FT-86 is going to be 7 inches longer and a 2+2 instead of a 2 seater, so I'd expect it to weigh more, not less, than the Miata. :(

Putting away the wishful thinking, realistically, I expect between 1200 and 1250 kg. And even that is aimed low.

I'm expecting 1250-1300 myself, but if they can pull off 1000, that would rock. If they can even pull off 1200kg or less, frankly I'd be suprised.

The lightest four-seat RWD sports coupe of the modern era is the 3,000-odd pound/1360 kg Mazda RX-8. That's the absolute heaviest it should be.

WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT

Actually, after having read that the 2012 Impreza weighs 1320 kg even though it's quite a bit larger than the FT-86 will be and has AWD as well, I'm a little more optimistic. 1000 kg is a pipe dream, but 1200-ish kg sounds achievable. It'll be down on power-to-weight compared to the Miata, but it'll be a bit more practical and a bit cheaper, assuming they stick to the $20k base price.

I don't care. I would honestly buy one. I've had an AE86, and now I want more.