New small car with very low fuel consumption

nicjasno

BMW Perfectionist
DONOR
Car(s)
'89 BMW E30 325iT, '95 BMW E36 318ti compact
Sometime this year the opel will get replaced by a new car. It'll be a smallish car, the range of the polo/corsa/mito....

Now i'm totally undecided on what to buy, so i will ask gear for suggestions.

The car will be driven 90% of the time in the city, short distances and a requirement is that it consumes very little fuel.

I have been looking at diesels, but have been told that city driving will kill them very quickly. So far the best option seems to be the polo 1.2 tsi, but 6.6l/100km of fuel consumption is a bit much, since the 15 year opel consumes about 7.8l/100km from a 1.6 engine.

So, gear, what do you think?

Last edited:
Diesels do survive city driving, you just need to blast them free every now and then with a short "pedal to the metal" phase, my Dad drives a 1.9tdi since 90.000km inner town (with occasional Autobahn "Freiblasen" by me ;)).

Do you want a new car or a used one? Pricerange?

From experience, if you want good consumption, avoid BMW 1 Series and Mercedes A-Class.
My recommendation is look at the new VAG 1.6 TDIs, they are bloody nippy on fuel and still have a sufficient punch when needed. What about a Fabia 1.6Tdi (55/66/77kw)? 4.2l/100km combined! And I like the looks of the new Fabia.

The max budget is about 20k (though the cheaper, the better), new car, since i plan to keep it for 10-ish years or so. The Polo is my favourite so far. Bluemotion, start/stop....

Last edited:
Honda Jazz/Fit (You [Slovenia] call it a Jazz I think) FTW given your criteria. Not sure what you could get one for but probably about the same as a decent specced Polo I would think.

1.2 TSI is better.

That all depends on your local tax climate. Over here the Bluemotion is 700 eur cheaper due to tax benefits, uses 2l/100km less fuel, the fuel it takes is 25ct per liter cheaper and you pay no roadtaxes (1.2 TSI: 30 eur/month). In short, there'd be no reason to get the 1.2 TSI over here.

The Bluemotion looks good.

I don't get the engines.

Motoren
BlueMotion:

1,2 l 55 kW (75 PS) TDI (87 g) BlueMotion
1,2 l 55 kW (75 PS) TDI (89 g) BlueMotion

Both are 5 speed manuals????

//edit

aaaaaaaah in the 87g one you can't order all stuff. 89g is the one where they allow you to order stuff you want ;).

since I know nicjasno knows German:

Zwei Gramm Unterschied

Die neueste Version des Polo BlueMotion besitzt einen 1,2-Liter-Diesel mit drei Zylindern und einer Leistung von 75 PS. Die Standardversion Polo 1.2 TDI verbraucht laut VW 3,8 Liter auf 100 Kilometer. Der Polo BlueMotion ben?tigt nat?rlich weniger, aber hier wird es schon kompliziert: Vom BlueMotion-Modell gibt zwei Versionen, eine mit der Bezeichnung "87 g" und eine mit dem Beinamen "89 g". Die Werte beziehen sich auf die CO2-Emissionen in Gramm pro Kilometer. Der gefahrene "87 g" verbraucht 3,3 Liter, w?hrend es bei der Schwesterversion ein Zehntelliter mehr ist. Die beiden Varianten unterscheiden sich lediglich durch die verf?gbare Ausstattung. Beim "87 g" sind nur wenige Optionen bestellbar.

Verschiedene Schwungmassenklassen

So kommt der "87 g" in eine g?nstigere Schwungmassenklasse als der 89-g-Kollege. Hintergrund: Bei der Messung des Spritverbrauchs auf dem Rollenpr?fstand muss der Fahrwiderstand des Autos mit einer Bremse eingestellt werden. In den Fahrwiderstand geht au?er dem Luftwiderstand auch die Masse des Fahrzeugs ein, die in Schwungmassenklassen eingeteilt wird. So fallen zum Beispiel alle Autos mit einem Gewicht von 1080 kg bis 1190 kg in die Schwungmassenklasse "1130 kg".

Gewicht von Extras

Auf den ersten Blick verwirrend, denn die 87 g- und die 89 g-Version haben mit 1150 Kilogramm exakt das gleiche Leergewicht. Des R?tsels L?sung: Ermittelt wird diese Schwungmassenklasse immer mit allen lieferbaren Extras, wie uns ein Ingenieur von VW erkl?rte. Mit dieser Vollausstattung steigt nat?rlich auch das Gewicht. Da sich der Polo mit 1150 kg Leergewicht nur 40 kg unterhalb der n?chst h?heren Schwungmassenklasse bewegt, schr?nkt VW beim 87-g-Modell einfach die Auswahl an lieferbaren Extras ein. Denn bei der Einstufung k?nnen schon ein paar Kilogramm mehr oder weniger einen deutlichen Unterschied ausmachen.

OK I specced a BlueMotion like I would buy it (ffs you have to order Central locking with remote control extra??).

Ihr Wunschfahrzeug Preis
Modell
Polo BlueMotion 89g 1,2 l TDI 55 kW (75 PS) 5-Gang 16.675,00 ?
Au?enlackierung
Shadow Blue Metallic 435,00 ?
Innenausstattung
Titanschwarz/Titanschwarz/Schwarz/ Perlgrau
Sonderausstattung
Komfortpaket Elektrik 175,00 ?
R?cksitzbank und -Lehne asymmetrisch geteilt umklappbar, mit doppeltem Ladeboden 175,00 ?
"Cool and Sound " mit "Climatronic" 755,00 ?
Stoff "Metric" 0,00 ?
Multifunktions-Lederlenkrad (3 Speichen) mit Dekor in Chrom matt 155,00 ?
"RCD 310" 655,00 ?
Einstiegshilfe "Easy-Entry" 180,00 ?
Winterpaket 405,00 ?
Multimediabuchse MEDIA-IN mit USB-Adapterkabel 175,00 ?
Nebelscheinwerfer und statisches Kurvenfahrlicht 85,00 ?
Kopfairbagsystem f?r Front- und Fondpassagiere inkl. Seitenairbags vorn 475,00 ?
Scheibenwischer vorn mit Intervallschaltung in Kombination mit Klimaanlage "Climatronic" 0,00 ?

Gesamtpreis 20.345,00 ?

Fucking expensive because you need to order every single fart :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the 1.2 TSi will emerge the clear favourite despite the 6.6l of fuel consumption...

Fiat 500 Twin Air?

Whats the actual mpg on those, 900cc sounds good, but if you gotta ring its neck to move then its probably not all that efficient. If you are doing lots of town driving, I hate to say it but.... Hybrid? Honda CR-Z or something. Or a Jazz if they put that IMA set up in those too.

You'll defo want something with stop start I reckon. Especially if you sit in a lot of small jams at numerous sets of useless traffic lights.

Edit: Spritmonitor puts the 500 at around 6l/100km for town driving

Last edited:
Not just the fanboy in me, but a more sensible voice as well suggests to consider a Grande Punto Evo or a Bravo or a 500. The Multiair technology isn't so highly praised for nothing. A combined figure of 5.5 l/100km is nothing to be sniffed at. And a price around 12.000? with lots of kit...serious contenders in my book. =)

Last edited:
If you want to be a true hyper-miler:
Volkswagen-Lupo-3L-TDI-1.jpg

Having driven a Polo quite a lot, I have to warn you about a few things. City consumption isn't all that great. Highway you can easily get 4.5l/100 but in city - probably 6 or even more. (Bluemotion might be different)

It also has annoyingly short gears.

Well, the Lupo went out of production more than years ago, additionally it's really cramped in there, the pedals are too close together when you have slightly bigger shoes than average and so on and so forth. The Polo is a mch bigger car, and if you can get it with an engine which consumes just 3.8 l/100 km it's not that much more than the Lupo 3L TDI.

can you turn the bluemotion feature off? i know it shuts when temperature drops below some degree but manually. i dont want buy a used one that doesnt start in lights...

Polo - the mint with the hole (like a 'Life Saver'):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polo_(confectionery)

Polo - not the car with the hole:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/polo-v-2009/ ****

FIAT Punto EVO (Grande Punto Not offered in Ukania since 2009)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/fiat/punto-evo-2010/ ***

FIAT Bravo ***

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/fiat/bravo-2007/

FIAT 500 Twin Air ****

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/fiat/500-2007/

Honda JAZZ ****

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/jazz-2008/

Last edited:
For some reason when the thread title caught my eye, I read it as looking for a "New small car with very low fuel mileage." :p

For some reason when the thread title caught my eye, I read it as looking for a "New small car with very low fuel mileage." :p

I was ready to suggest a pacer :p