Rainbow Six going back to its roots

I've only played the original. From what I remember at first I spent a good fifteen or so minutes planning then ultimately I ignored it in the mission and swapped among my guys.

Last edited:
oh hell yeah! i've been hoping they would release a new Rainbow Six game after SC:Conviction and the new Ghost Recon games were announced. RB6 is still my favorite FPS mostly because of the tactics involved. nothing better than pulling off a highly complication insertion and taking out all the bad guys in a few seconds.

definately want this!

All I needed was Jorg Walther and Ding Chavez and it was butt raping time.

I always liked adding a good amount of nameless cannon fodder reservists.

Rainbow Six was probably the last PC game I played before I got my new system. That or Age of Empires II. Fucking loved those games, but Halo lured me to XBOX and I didn't look back till recently.

I would be ecstatic if Rainbow 6 went back to its roots and returned to being a strategic shooter based on realistic tactics. I spent hours in Rogue Spear both online and off. I miss those full briefings and poring over the map to plan out a safe and effective breach.

Hell! I even think that the RB6 Covert Ops Essentials Training Disc (the encyclopaedia of counter terrorism tactics and history) was awesome. No other game tried to actually show its players how to identify targets by threat level and rank them on it. I think it's time to go searching for my old RB6 discs.

The original Rainbow Six was what FPS should be like nowadays, in my opinion. Methodical and calculating, requiring you to think and plan ahead.

I hope they don't water down the new experience for the generation of gamers raised on Halo and Call of Duty for the sake of pandering to them, since the generation before them still truly appreciate games like Rainbow Six.

Shit i loved RB6 3 back in the day.

If the new R6 game really does bring the series back to its roots, it will be the first one I'll buy since Raven Shield and its expansions.

but this line has me skeptical:

there is a cover system that takes you out of the first-person perspective and into the third.

3RD PERSON COVER SYSTEM IN AN R6 GAME
rageanger.jpg

BULLSHIT

Still... fingers crossed. I'm just not getting my hopes up too high.

I hope they get bill brown or whoever it was back to do the music, that was also awesome (probably better than the generals soundtrack)

If the new R6 game really does bring the series back to its roots, it will be the first one I'll buy since Raven Shield and its expansions.

but this line has me skeptical:

3RD PERSON COVER SYSTEM IN AN R6 GAME
rageanger.jpg

BULLSHIT

Still... fingers crossed. I'm just not getting my hopes up too high.

Has anyone here played the Rainbow Six: Vegas games? (they're both the same). I found them quite fun BUT I have no idea if they followed the spirit of the originals. What I do know is that they have a cover system like the one described above.

Has anyone here played the Rainbow Six: Vegas games? (they're both the same). I found them quite fun BUT I have no idea if they followed the spirit of the originals. What I do know is that they have a cover system like the one described above.

same here, i've only played the Rainbow Six Vegas games and haven't played the ones that came before. so i honestly have no idea. but the cover mechanic combined with the giving the squad orders and who to take down first. those are the elements i enjoyed the most. frequently played the co-op terrorist hunt modes to death,

I have played every single Rainbow 6 game (including the 2 Vegas games), Vegas and Vegas 2 completely rewrote how Rainbow Six games were played (not entirely in a good way).

The originals had a slower pace and gave you a more cerebral experience. You weren't immediately dropped in from a helicopter to just make everything up along the way, you had to prepare a plan and use your 8 person team (split into 4 squads) effectively. You also couldn't heal by hiding around a corner; if you were shot in the leg you limped, shot in the arm you had worse aim, shot in the head (once) you were dead. And death was permanent for that character, health doesn't reset at the end of a mission. It was just a less... careless game (more strategy than shooter). The was no cover system, only leaning around corners and ducking under fire and a fairly smart AI (for the time, it was still pretty easy to trick).

If they took the graphics from Vegas and just remade the original, I'd be a happy gamer. It's about time for the realistic tactical shooter to return.

Last edited:
You also couldn't heal by hiding around a corner; if you were shot in the leg you limped, shot in the arm you had worse aim, shot in the head (once) you were dead. And death was permanent for that character, health doesn't reset at the end of a mission. It was just a less... careless game (more strategy than shooter).
That's the problem with the modern FPS; they're unbelievably soft, carefree, and manic. They're designed to appeal to a generation raised on instant gratification and no consequence. It's going to sound all "back in my day", but this "run into the fray until you get shot, then duck behind a corner until you magically heal" business is garbage.