The Hypocrite List - What NEW cars is JJJ interested in?

Easy choice here JJJ.

Sportscar:
Mustang GT
350Z
S2000
Dodge Charger R/T (2006+)

Saloon:
BMW 330
Merc C350
Dodge Charger R/T (2006+)
Volvo S60R

Convertible/Roadster:
S2000
S2000
S2000
350Z
Ford Mustang GT
did I mention an S2000?

I have a feeling my dad is a bit opposed to me getting a 4x4 just because he know's that I'd actually use it for 4x4ing and he doesn't want me to completely abuse the car. Where as with a sports car, although I would wring it out every once and a while the majority of the time I drive like a grandpa.

The RX8 is actually a good thought, I've always loved RX's and I know my dad likes them because he had 2 RX7's. (87 and a 93)

Do not buy one. I wish my fianc?e never bought hers. It is a bag of mechanical, and practicality fail. Ours is experiencing the usual issues, and then some. And it was properly maintained by the previous owner based on the maint. records and dealer visits. Also, it is slow regardless of what transmission you get. It is not a fun driving experience, especially if you get an automatic.

The traction control is way too intrusive and turning it off makes the car too tail happy if you are in the powerband (especially on wet surfaces). We've literally almost been rear-ended because the traction control cut the power completely when we had to pull out in traffic. I'm just not sold on traction control on a vehicle with zero torque to accelerate you away when you need it to.

Big point! Make sure you do not get run flat tires because they suck all the life out of you with the hardness and horrid ride quality.

And most importantly it is ungodly uncomfortable, these seats are great for 20-30 minute blasts on a curvy road but they suck for everything else. We've taken 2 road trips to Houston and I felt more beatup in the RX-8 than ANY other car I've ever driven/ridden in which does include my old Corvette. Visibility is absolutely terrible, truly terrible. I'm not even just referring to the B and C pillars exclusively either, the seats almost prevent you from being able to contort and turn to even look out that rear side area. The boot space is medium at best, but, it has an small opening that makes it almost impossible to get things like luggage in. The rear doors and "back seats" are ONLY there to show people who ask "omg are these rear doors?", they serve ZERO purpose. Party piece. Literally they will be used to hold your shopping bags or a woman's purse. Not even a child can fit back there legitimately. Move the seats up slightly to get those 8-10yo child legs in the back and you've cut out any ability for that front seat passenger to be comfortable if they are over 5'7" tall. More complaints I have are the engine drinks fuel, uses too much coolant when in hot humid weather (Texas weather), burns too much oil and makes an unpleasant noise. This is if the car is in good running condition too. The last one about the noise is due to the rotary itself, that noise is an acquired taste indeed. I don't have that taste.

The ONLY positive thing I will say about the RX-8 is the steering is among the best for a road car. Sharp, communicative and precise as you can get. Its a shame that the looks and steering can get such a let down. Stuffing the 3.0L or 3.5L V6 would significantly improve the overall performance and might of made me forget the practicality and uncomfortable complaints--but that rotary engine is just limp without forced induction. Long live the RX-7, superior in every way--that is minus the reliability--which as we know sucks.

[/rant]

As an owner I have a completely different opinion on most of that :dunno:

But one thing that should be concrete is the back seats. I have fit full-size adults back there on several occasions, including one road trip to Long Island, New York with 4 people and luggage for the weekend. It was not ideal but it worked and no one was injured. Certainly better than any other "two" door car. If you want a party piece, sit in the back of a new Camaro or previous gen Jaguar XK convertible (I didn't recognize those as seats at first glance).

I'm also not sure why the seats are "ungodly" comfortable to you, I find them perfectly adequate. Nothing spectacular, but I sit in them for long periods of time without issue. My mother has fallen asleep in the back seat. You compare against a Corvette, but that's actually a very comfortable car on the highway, certainly better than most cheaper sports cars.

I haven't accidentally (key word there) broken the rear free in the wet, in fact I drive through the winter in the snow.... but I'm sure the slow automatic helps with that. I've also never been completely halted by the traction control like that.... again, even in the snow. It gets turned off whenever it would be a factor, but that's just my preference :)

Can't comment on Texas weather, oil burning is minimal and just needs to be topped off every month or so (and I do high mileage). Fuel mileage is poor, no argument there.

Reliability wise, we both just have anecdotal evidence but I've had one repair done under warranty (catalytic converter) at about 30,000 miles. Currently at 62,000. Engine is still under the 8 year 100k mile extended warranty (retroactively applied to all RX-8s).

And lastly, regarding "fun driving experience," I can't count the number of times I've driven home a bit too quickly with a huge smile on my face. But that would be true of any decent handling car.

TheVictors take on the RX-8 is much closer to what i hear from my friends and other owners when i am at Mazda meets than JCE's experience. Also i second the usability of the seats i am by no means a small guy (or even medium for that matter) and i have driven to and from Limerock park to Worcester MA easily a 2 hour drive by highway and significantly longer if you are purposefully taking the long way home via back roads. I have taken this drive in both the front and back seats neither time was i ever hugely uncomfortable sure the back seats are tight but far from unusable and i found the fronts to be absolutely fine maybe not like sitting on a cloud but far from uncomfortable.

One thing I didn't think of, my car being absurdly specced out (thank the previous owner), it's the Grand Touring model with leather seats, I don't know if this would have different seats than a lower spec model. Google seems to suggest they are all similar.

As an owner I have a completely different opinion on most of that :dunno:

But one thing that should be concrete is the back seats. I have fit full-size adults back there on several occasions, including one road trip to Long Island, New York with 4 people and luggage for the weekend. It was not ideal but it worked and no one was injured. Certainly better than any other "two" door car. If you want a party piece, sit in the back of a new Camaro or previous gen Jaguar XK convertible (I didn't recognize those as seats at first glance).

Show me a picture of 4 adults in the car without their knees being compressed to butter before I buy that. ;)

I'm also not sure why the seats are "ungodly" comfortable to you, I find them perfectly adequate. Nothing spectacular, but I sit in them for long periods of time without issue. My mother has fallen asleep in the back seat. You compare against a Corvette, but that's actually a very comfortable car on the highway, certainly better than most cheaper sports cars.

Ungodly uncomfortable means exactly this from my perspective:
  • Re-adjusting seating position
  • Switching legs from being upright to stretched out
  • Having to recline a bit more than usual to get a comfortable back position
  • The passenger seat is worse vs the driver's because of the ""hump" on the left footwell where the transmission is probably sitting
  • Shoulder room is less than thrilling
  • Horizontal space for my knees is horrendous
  • Having to literally "fall" into the seat when trying to get into the car gets old
  • When getting out of the car after traveling for more than 1 hour straight and feeling like you just played a game of basketball for 4 quarters is not a good thing

I'm 6'0" and ~227lbs so I'm not large or small really. I SHOULD have adequate room you'd think but that is not the case. I had a '92 model Vette and it was uncomfortable as well. Granted the '99 C5 I drove for a while while my car was in the shop was quite an improvement. Definitely more comfortable seats for sure.

I haven't accidentally (key word there) broken the rear free in the wet, in fact I drive through the winter in the snow.... but I'm sure the slow automatic helps with that. I've also never been completely halted by the traction control like that.... again, even in the snow. It gets turned off whenever it would be a factor, but that's just my preference :)

The rear end does slip out when wet on concrete even with the traction control. When we were pulling out onto a frontage road in Arlington in the rain the rear end went out under even the lightest throttle. I know it was light throttle because my fianc?e was driving and not me! :lol: When I drive the car I have to use the flappy paddles and WOT constantly get anything out of it--this includes breaking the rear tires loose for fun. Thankfully, the steering can get you out of any rear end shenanigans. :D

Reliability wise, we both just have anecdotal evidence but I've had one repair done under warranty (catalytic converter) at about 30,000 miles. Currently at 62,000. Engine is still under the 8 year 100k mile extended warranty (retroactively applied to all RX-8s).

Our coolant level senor is on the fritz as well, the gas gauge isn't always too accurate and the aircon must be massive for the amount of parasitic power drain it causes on the engine. It is literally worse than the Focus, and that's a dog when the aircon is on. We've got 53,000 miles on ours. These issues should not be happening on a car with that low of mileage. Also, someone at our local Mazda dealer stated that the warranty "extension" wasn't transferable past the first owner. We are the second owner. Confirm this?

And lastly, regarding "fun driving experience," I can't count the number of times I've driven home a bit too quickly with a huge smile on my face. But that would be true of any decent handling car.

Hey, I'm grateful someone has fun in this car because I sure don't. And now my fianc?e is seeing the light. She's always wanted 2 vehicles, an RX-8 and a Dodge Ram Heavy Duty. Guess what she wants now that she's experienced her "hero" (RX-8)? :mrgreen: Never meet your heros. This is why I will probably never buy a 1970 GTO, 1967 Corvette 427 or a '69 SS396 Camaro.

TheVictors take on the RX-8 is much closer to what i hear from my friends and other owners when i am at Mazda meets than JCE's experience. Also i second the usability of the seats i am by no means a small guy (or even medium for that matter) and i have driven to and from Limerock park to Worcester MA easily a 2 hour drive by highway and significantly longer if you are purposefully taking the long way home via back roads. I have taken this drive in both the front and back seats neither time was i ever hugely uncomfortable sure the back seats are tight but far from unusable and i found the fronts to be absolutely fine maybe not like sitting on a cloud but far from uncomfortable.

You must be TINY! :blink: If I get motivated enough I'm going to take pictures of me in the back and front seats to prove my point.

One thing I didn't think of, my car being absurdly specced out (thank the previous owner), it's the Grand Touring model with leather seats, I don't know if this would have different seats than a lower spec model. Google seems to suggest they are all similar.

Sadly leather would not help.

You must be TINY! :blink: If I get motivated enough I'm going to take pictures of me in the back and front seats to prove my point.

5'11" 230lb not tiny by any measure...

They are colloquially reffered to as Beamers here as well, but that is false. Beamer was a response to BSA motorcycles being called Beesers/Beasers and came around before the cars got the Bimmer nickname.

We call them Beemers here because the letter B is pronounced bee.

Chalk it up to tires (I got new Falkens last year) and body type I guess (I'm hideously skinny). I'll try not to clutter up this thread anymore with my fanboy rage (someone has a different opinion on the internet!)

Oh except one more thing, I think the early model years '03-05 had some problems that were fixed in '06, most notably the new 6-speed automatic transmission.

I do appreciate the different perspectives, I myself am a pretty skinny guy, if a bit tall and I managed to fit in the back seat reasonably comfortably when my mum was test driving them last year.

I'd still like to hear from any members that own a WRX or STI, I'm actually starting to really like the idea of the STI, my only concern is I've heard a few people complain that they've had to have the short block replaced after less than 40K miles, granted it was under warranty, but still.

Quiky's Mazda 3 was a lemon.

Apart from Quiky's I've never heard a bad word about a Mazda3's reliability. They're hugely popular over here, too.

And I say this as someone who doesn't even really like the Mazda3. It's got 99 problems but reliability ain't one.

The stupid grinning face, road noise, ordinary interior and the fact everyone has one are, though.

Yah, that's pretty much what I meant, I was just trying to be soft about it :lol:

The 3.7L V6 engine is shit. Drove a 2003 liberty a few days ago. Not sure about how fuel efficient it is but it sucks.

It felt so torque less that driving back the good old cherokee was like as if I jumped in a quick responsive sports car :p

(if its the same engine we're talking about :p)

Yah, it's the 3.7 V6 in the new wrangler, I'm pretty sure.

Our coolant level senor is on the fritz as well, the gas gauge isn't always too accurate and the aircon must be massive for the amount of parasitic power drain it causes on the engine. It is literally worse than the Focus, and that's a dog when the aircon is on. We've got 53,000 miles on ours. These issues should not be happening on a car with that low of mileage. Also, someone at our local Mazda dealer stated that the warranty "extension" wasn't transferable past the first owner. We are the second owner. Confirm this?

I'm not sure about the A/C, but a new thermostat should cost $12.

Anyhow, JJJ is the Hemi version too much?

800px-2011_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_Laredo_--_08-13-2010.jpg

Apparently the upcoming 2012 Wrangler will use the Pentastar V6.

GC is too big, I really would like a car. I just threw the Jeep in there because I've always wanted one. I'll have to look into when the 2012 goes on sale, because the car would likely be bought before the end of august and next years models don't usually go on sale untill the Fall.

Either way, I think that was the right move on Chrysler's part, even though it's still not the best engine for the job. (WHERE'S MY DIESEL WRANGLER!!!!)

Last edited:
Well, that too.

5.0 Mustang. :cool:

I really think that a Mustang would be your best bet. Which one, depends on your dad's budget. If he can afford the $40-45K CDN for the GT, go for it. If his budget is more like $30K, get the V6. As I said earlier, the new 305hp V6 Mustang is not the chick car it used to be - and I think you would be happy with it. (Try to get the Performance Package, though.)