Duke Nukem Forever...anyone still excited about this game?

How did you obtain it, if you don't mind me asking. (a PM would be appreciated)

First Access Club, because I have Borderlands.

I see. That's what I also found on the web.

It kinda defies the point of a demo, doesn't it? They want you to order the game so that you can try the demo.

Yeah the demo is fun. It's not too serious and the weapons feel a bit over powered but all in all it's a pretty fun game. Duke's punch lines really do add a lot to the game, I kept looking for what moves and what does what just to hear Duke throw in a one liner ;)

Hmmm I got 2 Steam redeem codes to the demo by accident... I don't know if the second will work since I used the first one but if anyone wants to give it a try PM me...

Last edited:
The game is cracking! I've played Duke 3D since I was a kid and still have it installed on my PC and I must say that, even though I haven't played the new one much, it's great to have another Duke Nukem.

Just bought my copy can't wait to get home and play it.

I have been playing it for 2 days now and...I'm disappointed.

It's a good game, but it's not anything spectacular, especially for something that has been in development since 1997. If it had come out in 1999, as it was supposed to, it would have been ground-breaking.

Today, it's just a mediocre FPS. I actually enjoyed Prey much better, because it was different. This just feels like Duke Nukem 3D with a little graphics improvement.

I have been playing it for 2 days now and...I'm disappointed.

It's a good game, but it's not anything spectacular, especially for something that has been in development since 1997. If it had come out in 1999, as it was supposed to, it would have been ground-breaking.

Today, it's just a mediocre FPS. I actually enjoyed Prey much better, because it was different. This just feels like Duke Nukem 3D with a little graphics improvement.

i doubt its been in continuous development since 1997. more likely it only went into real development in the last year or so. however, i'm not really surprised. if you've been waiting for something for so long. it would take something truly awesome to live up to those expectations and thats a big ask of anything. i would imagine Gearbox would be more happy with this game being somewhat decent in the sales so they can take what they've learned and then proceed with another game knowing what works and what doesn't.

First development started in 1997, but the game had been scrapped many times through the years because of game engine changes.

The thing is - they promised that Duke Nukem Forever will be groundbreaking in terms of graphics, interactivity and diversity of gameplay. They made that promise before we saw games like Half Life, Halo, Bioshock etc...

Like I said - it is a good game, but it's nothing breathtaking.

5.5 from IGN...:eek:

...and to answer the original question of this thread...no. :lol:

Last edited:
I haven't been this underwhelmed by a game in quite a long time. I tried the demo too, which I got through *ahem* alternate means, and it was just.. well, bad. I hoped the game would be better, but it's just not. The level design is very, very uninspired - the levels themselves are very bland and boring. There's the obligatory turret sequence here and there, the odd platforming section, but generally, the levels are just plain boring.

The enemies die way, way too easily and there's no real satisfaction to it. Overall, the lack of polish is noticeable. The graphics would have looked dated 2 years ago, and the immersion just isn't there.

I'm sorry Duke fans (and I'm one too!), but this just doesn't cut it.

The graphics look really shit, terrible textures etc. Also Duke is anachronistic these days, as characters have become more nuanced(relatively, still shit acting compared to movies/TV) and he comes off as a doofus. In some ways I think an over the top badass who doesn't give a shit could be pulled off well, but this doesn't seem executed correctly.