Random Thoughts....

Don't you have anything like this where you are? If you do it should at least give you confidence in obtaining alternative estimates.

Ohh that's all good and fine, but all that is above the table, that's not the way things work if you want to (re)build affordable here, ;) this needs to be done below the radar by people who feel the same way.
Besides I've been in the trade way to long myself to worrie about beeing shafted, it's just the timing that sucks :p

Last edited:
Sometimes, you open an unusually big file at work, half out of curiosity and half out of a sense that you should know more about what's going on in your department. And then, about two hours later, you still haven't got to the i in "Holy shit!"

So the first contractor just passed by for an estimate on the new roof, I know this guy a long time and he will do me a deal (it pays to spend alot of time in the pub) and I have all confidence in him, but the only week he can do it this year is the week I'm 40K away helping organise a 25.000 people festival, aka busiest week and weekend of the year for me.......... craptacular.

You could leave someone you trust to supervise.

You could leave someone you trust to supervise.
In deals like this, it's not about supervision, but about having a chat, serving a beer, keeping the guy happy... welcome to black market economy ;)

Ohh that's all good and fine, but all that is above the table, that's not the way things work if you want to (re)build affordable here, ;) this needs to be done below the radar by people who feel the same way.
Besides I've been in the trade way to long myself to worrie about beeing shafted, it's just the timing that sucks :p

Cowboy, I have had used the services of an electrician,a gas installer, two plasterers, a tree surgeon and a fencing contractor in the last couple of years. All have been found through Checkatrade, all have submitted a quote and all been then asked what the price is for cash. Just because you find them in a legit way doesn't mean you have to pay them in a legit way. ;)

he?d actually advised me to "take the bike to work" when I was just complaining about how I have to drive with ze car for more than half an hour and the bus takes roughly a complete hour ... and he?s telling me to take something that?s not even half as fast as the Bus.
I guess you don't have an in-town commute? Because if you had, "half as fast as a bus" would not be correct. In town a bicycle is - depending on the circumstances - about as fast as a car and much faster than public transport. I need 40 minutes to work by train (including walking to and from the station), about 20 minutes by car, and about 23 minutes by bicycle. By bus I'd need over an hour. ;)

I've been going through my London pictures (64GB) and I noticed something funny...I have more pictures of G-Wizs than Buckingham Palace... :lol:

I've been going through my London pictures (64GB) and I noticed something funny...I have more pictures of G-Wizs than Buckingham Palace... :lol:

Doing a Thread? (With lots of pics of burning G-Wizz's)
Sorry, we do have a lot here. :blush:

I do hate the idea of the G-Wizz, but when I saw one I couldn't help myself and snapped off about 15 shots of one in motion. For the record I only took like 5 pictures of Buckingham Palace, it's kind of a boring place.

Now I know cracked is an entertainment site but this article is somewhat unnerving

I do hate the idea of the G-Wizz, but when I saw one I couldn't help myself and snapped off about 15 shots of one in motion. For the record I only took like 5 pictures of Buckingham Palace, it's kind of a boring place.

"G-Wiz" those things sure are novel!

....I'll let myself out...:p

well he is Sharpe, Ned Stark and Boromir. combine all 3 of those and that would be enough to make anyone quake in fear and pee their pants.

Not me - he starts anything with me and I'll just ask him, "What colour is the boathouse at Hereford?"

Watch him get all flustered and shit.

Love the way the spell checker on Google Chrome thinks the my mis-spelling of "immensely" was supposed to be "Wensleydale", yes that is my favourite cheese but it is also not what I wanted to type at all...

Chrome's spell checker is horribly inaccurate.....:(

Whoo, got my hotel confirmation for my trip to Orlando next week! There's a lazy river!
2366822_21_b.jpg

The trip is for a confrence through a school organization, and because we're sponsored by various companie, the whole five day trip is costing me... $50 plus food!