2011 Formula 1 Season Thread

I'm currently watching the Malaysian GP pre-race stuff on BBC One.
So pumped to see how this turns out!

Meh....just because Eddy Jordan clocks Vettel over the head and steals his car to take the win doesn't mean its worth watching. :p

Also, Ralf Schumacher stood in place of his brother and no-one noticed. It was a bit boring to behold actually.

Lol at Hive rezzing all the GP threads.

Any minute now Im expecting one from 2008.

i only feel pitty for renault, they had the balls to try something completely different, and now it will blow up in their face :(

Heh, I don't think it'll affect redbull that much. Maybe like half a second at the very most before lolnewey steps in.

i only feel pitty for renault, they had the balls to try something completely different, and now it will blow up in their face :(

Why? Front exhaust isn't banned for 2011.

Ban of blown diffuser in 2012 (enforcement of top-exit exhaust) will mean that all teams will have to change it, not only Renault.

no, but since the exhaust are exiting at the front and the exhaust gasses pass under the car, the car will be become more unstable at on/off throttle moments.

also, renault apparently uses not so much of a hotblown exhaust, but keep the valves open and the air flowing to cool the exhaust valves, so they might have to rethink headdesign as well because of it...

the other teams won't have to change so much, they'll just loose some downforce, except for red bull. since they blow under the diffuser, their rear is higher up compared to other teams, and have the floor shaped to lead the air towards the diffuser; once the blown effect falls away, ambient, dirty air will be sucked in, so they might have to redesign their floor or they might suffer from instability as well

yes, last nights episode of the flying lap was realy informative :)
(idd, boring - but informative!)

Last edited:
This isn't facebook.

I don't think we give a toss about what you want to do next. Stop bumping the page with your useless status updates.

BBC dropping Formula 1?

"If The Sunday Times is correct, the BBC will look to end their broadcasting relationship with Formula One at the end of 2013. Who knows? Maybe they will have had one full season of airing the new 4-cylinder turbo engine era and bail out at just the right time as F1 democratically starts their race to the bottom all the while sounding like mad wasps.
All that is well and good but the interesting thing, for those of us living over here where television isn?t completely state ran, is the costs associated with the broadcasting rights the BBC paid. No secret that many felt the Beeb paid way too much for the ?show? when they took over the broadcast from ITV?who, it must be said was thinking rather more realistically?in 2009.
Sure, Brit?s were nearly wetting themselves at the thought of hearing ?The Chain? again as most had been indoctrinated since birth to associate this 70?s re-tread as the soundtrack to the world?s most epic form of motor sport. Who can blame them? I imagine James hunt may have tapped a toe to the strains of Fleetwood Mac a few times himself?not sure about muzza though?may have thought Stevie Nicks was a witch.
The BBC paid nearly $100 million for the broadcast rights over a 5-year period. The Sunday Times says that?s nearly $1.62 per person! Compare this with the tawdry 7 pence that BBC1 and BBC 2 pay?you can see the artful crash as clearly as a Goodyear blimp over Germany or Lewis Hamilton in Canada (you can understand their throwing Legard to the wolves quickly as they thought he was devaluing their investment?how I feel for Legard now. Poor bloke didn?t stand a chance).
No, what really is surprising is just how much of that $100 million is going to Eddie Jordan, Jake Humphrey and David Coulthard?s white pants funds. Jake?the UK?s version of Ryan Seacrest?seems to be a kid in a candy store with unlimited budget and unfettered access to F1?s biggest hitters and good on him?that?s his job but one wonders just what 2014 will have in store for the lanky, eternal 20-something-looking commentator. His boundless, youthful enthusiasm-turned-serious-insight-at-a-moments-notice surely hasn?t seen the end of F1 coverage and nor should it?although I tend to like my F1 commentary from Speed TV just fine without the Red Bull pool antics and white pants.
Besides the British Grand Prix, the BBC racks up a whopping 2-4 million viewers per race. Compare that with America?s 200,000-300,000 and you start to see a picture more telling of America?s inability to even narrowly grasp the incredible nuance of F1 as well as the British notion that they have a divine right to the motor sport series.
While being American isn?t always well thought of in the UK, it certainly is painfully exposed even more when we have such a poor showing of it come race time. A paltry 200-300K? Then again, Speed TV isn?t paying almost $100M for the right to broadcast to such a niche fan base.
On the other side of the coin, Americans?while not the most popular crowd in the UK?at least have the common decency to not froth at the mouth over a Fleetwood Mac song in association with a timeless racing series like bovine with hoof-in-mouth disease. Sure, we admire the guitar styling?s of Lindsey Buckingham as much as the next Brit but that?s it. It goes no further and nor should it?we have some modicum of sensibility after all as we buried most 1970?s songs long ago in a big dump outside of Poughkeepsie?we may have kept the Abba catalog just for garish reasons and the odd David Bowie for when the party is started (we would have kept the Beatles but I think those were buried with Michael Jackson).
So, Lose BBC 4 or lose F1 seems to be the big quagmire around Blimey and I, for one, feel sorry for them. It?s not like they have much of a choice. The reason? It?s too darned expensive. Pure and simple. The BBC paid a lot and in the end, F1 hasn?t returned a lot or so it would seem. Could News Corp be gunning for a Sky Sports contract now? The very notion has the Brits in the fetal position. Could ITV come back heavy-handed to the table and pick up the corpses of F1? Maybe but would Jake be happy there and would they have adequate dry cleaning for his stained white pants? Of that, we can not be sure but so truly hope so?he?s top bloke and deserve superstar treatment."

http://www.formula1blog.com/2011/06/19/why-the-bbc-could-dump-formula-one/

i seriously hope not. the idea of F1 going to either ITV or Sky Sports is enough to fill me with nightmares. Such is my hatred for Sky/News Corp/Murdoch that if it did move. i'd probably give up on F1 rather than shell out the money to pay for sky.

either way its not good and i can't help but wonder what is going on with the BBC. they're forking out something like ?2 million for some new reality show to rival the X Factor and yet they're dropping stuff like F1 and screwing over Doctor Who while not giving Sherlock the exposure it needs.

honestly wonder if i should go over there and start slapping some heads.

Copied and pasted from Digital Spy.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...65431&page=110
?In short: The newspaper is pro-Tory. It?s F1 editor is openly wanting F1 to go to Sky. Hence, the article is best ignored as it is inaccurate throughout.?
1) ?Its contract to screen F1 for five seasons until 2013 will cost ?300m.
- incorrect. It is well known that the contract costs BBC about ?200m over 5 years, with the next contract increased to ?235m. I guess that may factor in production costs, but as far as I know they are minimal and definitely would not amount to an extra ?20m per year.
2) ?At about ?3m per race, it is the most expensive BBC programme being broadcast.?
- incorrect. As the first point of ?300m is wrong, the second point is also wrong. At 19 races, each race costs BBC about ?2.1m. In my book, that is not ?3m. The point ?it is the most expensive BBC programme being broadcast? is factually incorrect. You cannot compare 5 hours of programming on BBC1 at ?3m with a drama at 9pm on BBC1 which typically costs about ?600,000. In fact, going on the ?2.1m figure, F1 costs BBC about ?420,000 per hour. I?ve even excluded things like the F1 Forum and Practice with that figure and all the other stuff they do, in reality the figure will be lower than that. Some dramas on BBC1 only get 4.5m viewers and cost ?600,000, whereas with F1 you get you?re hard to reach 16 to 34 audience, it doesn?t cost much and you get at least 4.5m viewers on average per race. Everyone wins.
3) ?An insider said the cost of covering 19 F1 races was more than the entire budget of BBC4.?
- again depends on whether the ?60m per year figure is correct, because its the first time I?ve seen it. BBC4 costs ?55m per year, so if the ?60m per year figure for F1 is wrong, then the entire article is spouted with inaccuracy and riddles.
4) ?The source said the BBC did not intend to rebid for the F1 contract when it expired in November 2013.?
- in which case, why did you have a scaremongering title saying ?BBC AXES FORMULA ONE?. Axes suggests you?re terminating the contract early. No early termination is being seeked hear if you are to believe the article. Besides, they would not rebid for a contract an entire one and a half years before you would even begin discussing it.
5) ?It has emerged that F1 costs ?1 a head for every viewer, compared with the average 7p an hour broadcast cost for BBC1 and BBC2.?
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets?rts_rights.pdf ; page 35
- Formula 1 2009 ? hit in every category, only one of two events to do this.
- as a said at the time (page 36) : ?[? Redacted] is the outstanding success, significantly exceeding all of its reach, average audience and cost per viewer hour targets? ? is almost certainly referring to F1
- hence this on Page 4: ?Formula 1 has been a significant success in 2009/10, exceeding all of its reach, average audience and cost per viewer hour target?
- report was done earlier this year into the process of acquiring sports rights
- see page 33: ?Formula 1 and Premier League highlights attract a younger (16-34) male audience that is otherwise hard to reach?.?
6) ?Apart from the British Grand Prix, most races attract between 2m and 4m viewers.?
- http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=112436 ? enough said at this point
- only one race has dipped under 4m, and that was because it was against a Ford Super Sunday triple header on Sky Sports
7) ?It costs more for each hour than even the most expensive dramas such as South Riding, Cranford and Doctor Who.?
- again, this depends on whether the ?60m figure is actually true. I mean, why have we only just heard about this now? They?ve had the rights for 2 and a half years, yet we?ve only just heard about the ?60m figure despite numerous source saying ?40m.
?The proposal to dump F1 will be among a package of measures to be put to the BBC Trust in the Autumn.?
- so only towards the end of the article do you actually tell us that they haven?t axed it, despite the headline saying to the contrary?
In short: The newspaper is pro-Tory. It?s F1 editor is openly wanting F1 to go to Sky. Hence, the article is best ignored as it is inaccurate throughout.
---------------
from the comments section of the F1Fanatic article.