Bicycles!

Okay so here is my now 1 month old Nishiki Road Master! :)
I use it for both the daily school-run and cycle-training :)

veccd5.jpg

ffa2jp.jpg

w9cthw.jpg

Mmmmmh, carbon :)
116s2nn.jpg

And because of wax based lube my drivetrain always looks like this! ;)
nybfix.jpg

Shimano Sora gear
Alu frame, carbon front fork
Weight: 9,7kg

Now I just need some new wheels and a white saddle! ;)

Last edited:
Thread bump with a picture of my mountainbike after cleaning it:

jWrTA.jpg

It skips gears sometimes in low gears, think it might have to do something with the chain tension. Will have to look into it.

Last edited:
It skips gears sometimes in low gears, think it might have to do something with the chain tension. Will have to look into it.

Each link may have lengthened itself over time, making them not quite fit into the gear teeth... would mean new chain time.
You wouldn't notice it on small (= high) gears because only few teeth are used at once, leaving enough play to cover for the stretched chain.

Being dirt poor and short on cash there was only one way.

a) Get a free bicycle
b) Strip it down
c) Make it better (we have the technology)

So here's what I've been up to lately:

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sw/swek/2011/05/31/tr-mein-altes-fahrrad.jpg

Urghs, the horror. At least it was free. (Unlike pictured, mine was 28" and pink)

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sw/swek/2011/05/31/IMAG0148.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sw/swek/2011/05/31/IMAG0149.jpg

Not bad afterall.

Yes, clearly my 7 speed hub gear bicycle is the epitome of hipster chic.

Never deny hipster-accusations, there's now way out. I like the bike but that will hardly help your case..

Okay so here is my now 1 month old Nishiki Road Master! :)
I use it for both the daily school-run and cycle-training :)

veccd5.jpg

Dang, you have your handle bars angled down pretty low. How do you like that?

Low? The ends of the handlebars should be pretty much horizontal

I agree, that's how mine are but those don't look like they're completely horizontal.

Each link may have lengthened itself over time, making them not quite fit into the gear teeth... would mean new chain time.
You wouldn't notice it on small (= high) gears because only few teeth are used at once, leaving enough play to cover for the stretched chain.
That would be bad news, don't really want to pour anymore money into it. Is it normal though for a bike that is only 3 years old?

depends. if it's been stading in?a shed for 3 years, the chain would just be rusted
if you climbed mont ventoux every week, very likely :D

98 f1000
Just threw this together.
Azonic revenge riser.
xt rear
Mavic 221's
Avid sd-1's
suntour xe cranks
1x8 street cruiser.:cheers:
5837823346_6f17ff51e3_b.jpg

I'm in the market for a new bike, but not sure what would be best for me. The bikes I've owned throughout my life have been mountain bikes as I have gone on to trails with them in the past and I really don't bike on the streets (crazy drivers). I've never understood the difference between the two types of bikes, street and mountain, other than where you're supposed to use them. Obviously you can't go up a trail with smooth tires but you can bike city streets with a mountain bike, so would a mountain bike be dandy for would-be road biking?

What be some gewd low end brands for mountain bikes? I miss biking terribly :(

would a mountain bike be dandy for would-be road biking?

Depends how your roads are, how seriously you want to take it, all sorts. I find they can be pretty uncomfortable for long distances, for example. Road bikes are faster, generally speaking, so you will keep up with traffic more easily which might be a safety issue. But yeah, although I rode a road bike for years, I now only have a mountain bike and am quite happy on the road with it, to be honest, my only complaint being that I find the ride a bit harsh (that may be because I'm an old git now).

I'm in the market for a new bike, but not sure what would be best for me. The bikes I've owned throughout my life have been mountain bikes as I have gone on to trails with them in the past and I really don't bike on the streets (crazy drivers). I've never understood the difference between the two types of bikes, street and mountain, other than where you're supposed to use them. Obviously you can't go up a trail with smooth tires but you can bike city streets with a mountain bike, so would a mountain bike be dandy for would-be road biking?

What be some gewd low end brands for mountain bikes? I miss biking terribly :(

Where in SoCal do you live? I used my street bike all over the place when I lived in Redondo and I would bike the strand and Palos Verdes regularly. Also what kind of biking are you looking to get into?

Mountain bikes are built stronger and pretty much always at least have front suspension, and have lower gear ratios for if you get stuck in mud. Road bikes are lighter, no suspension, and built for speed. Any bike can ride on roads, obviously, road bikes are just made to be faster on roads. You probably want a hybrid, they're good for both pavement and light trails. Just go to a bike shop and check some out.

Last edited: