The Android thread

Is there a way to get Eclair back onto your phone? I'm sick of the phone having all sorts of problems now with the upgrade to CM7 and Gingerbread.
Downgrading is usually harder, but I bet it can be done.
What?s your phone?

HTC Sense allows you to get internet on the phone via USB, but Android native only supports the opposite.

Oh crap...you're saying that the only thing wrong right now is my direction? It only give the pc internet from the phone, not vica versa?

If your PC's internet is Wi-Fi you can access the connection from your phone without the USB.

Is there a way to get Eclair back onto your phone? I'm sick of the phone having all sorts of problems now with the upgrade to CM7 and Gingerbread.

http://www.peteralfonso.com/p/downloads.html

Flash like you would CM or another custom ROM. Only changes is that it's rooted. The one you want is ESE81 as that's the latest version of Eclair.

If you want one that's not rooted, choose a SBF file and flash with RSD Lite.

I will say that the version of GB that he offers on his home page is very solid in typical Bugless Beast fashion. It might not be as customizable out of the box as CM, but it feels a lot more solid.

If your PC's internet is Wi-Fi you can access the connection from your phone without the USB.

He doesn't have a router yet. :)

Last edited:
Why go back to Eclair? At least do Froyo.

On my phone, I would either load my backup (you did make a backup, right? :p) or grab the update from Sprint/HTC. But CM7 works great for me, so I won't.

How did you update to Eclair originally? I think you can just run that install again.

I did make a backup, but that was on froyo. I didn't update to Eclair, the phone originally came with.

Downgrading is usually harder, but I bet it can be done.
What?s your phone?

The original moto droid, aka Motorola Milestone.

http://www.peteralfonso.com/p/downloads.html

Flash like you would CM or another custom ROM. Only changes is that it's rooted. The one you want is ESE81 as that's the latest version of Eclair.

If you want one that's not rooted, choose a SBF file and flash with RSD Lite.

I will say that the version of GB that he offers on his home page is very solid in typical Bugless Beast fashion. It might not be as customizable out of the box as CM, but it feels a lot more solid.

Alright sweet, I'll check it out.

Why go back to Eclair? At least do Froyo.

Eclair was the last fully supported version of the OS for the original moto droid. On froyo the phone would still lag a bit and it was painful to use at times. Since then, any other thing I've done (rooting and putting on CM6/CM7) would cause new problems.

I thought rolling back to eclair would maybe ease all the pain.

Eclair was the last fully supported version of the OS for the original moto droid. On froyo the phone would still lag a bit and it was painful to use at times. Since then, any other thing I've done (rooting and putting on CM6/CM7) would cause new problems.

I thought rolling back to eclair would maybe ease all the pain.

Actually, Froyo (2.2) was the last officially pushed Android version for the Droid 1. Have you tried overclocking your device? That could help with some of the issues you experienced. If you try Peter's "Stock Rooted Gingerbread" rom, you can flash one of the kernal's he's listed along with the autooverclock.zip file he has to overclock the phone. I just installed the 1.2 Ghz low voltage kernal and it's very nice.

Why the hell does Facebook 1.6 want message and phonebook read/write access???

^For displaying the profile pictures of your contacts in your phonebook, it searches your facebook for the same names as in your phonebook and links the accounts.

Telstra's website says that the next update for my Desire will give it stock Gingerbread with no HTC Sense. :(

I don't know whether I want to upgrade to Gingerbread if it means losing Sense. I really like Sense's styling and widgets.

Having lived without sense for some months now, I don't actually miss it as much as I thought I would.

I've had a few other Android devices (Telstra Smart-Touch [2.2], Archos 45 [2.2], Samsung Galaxy Tab [2.2] and Motorola Xoom [3.0]} as well as my Desire and briefly, a Wildfire. With all my non-HTC devices I've always found myself wanting to get apps from the market which mimic Sense. I can get nice toggle-switch widgets from Curvefish and Beautiful Widgets does a nice clock/weather widget, but scrolling bookmarks, calendar/agenda and news/rss widgets are harder to find if you don't want to install a replacement home launcher. Of my 7 homescreens, 4 are taken up by stylish, functional Sense widgets that I use every day.

Other than better power management, would I really be missing out on anything by not updating to Gingerbread?

Last edited:
Security fixes.

I actually want to switch to Telstra since the reception is so much better, but that would mean buying a new handset and they're still pretty expensive atm.

Their 3G internet is freakin fast though.

Telstra's website says that the next update for my Desire will give it stock Gingerbread with no HTC Sense. :(

I don't know whether I want to upgrade to Gingerbread if it means losing Sense. I really like Sense's styling and widgets.

That cannot be right...I'm pretty sure that HTC would refuse to sell phone that doesn't come with Sense; that's the whole point.

Are you sure about this? If things are that and it really is the case, I would just root and try some Gingerbread Sense ROMs on there, better than what HTC release anyway, and HTC do support the rooting community anyway (though they very nearly stopped that...!)

That cannot be right...I'm pretty sure that HTC would refuse to sell phone that doesn't come with Sense; that's the whole point.

Are you sure about this? If things are that and it really is the case, I would just root and try some Gingerbread Sense ROMs on there, better than what HTC release anyway, and HTC do support the rooting community anyway (though they very nearly stopped that...!)

Carriers usually have the final say as to what goes down when it comes to phone design (if they choose to carry the device themselves) and software updates. It's one reason Epic 4G on sprint offered two different UI paths to go down when it got updated: TouchWiz 3.0 or the stock androidesque "Sprint ID"

htc-desire-telstra.jpg