Autoblog: Followup: Mazda rumored to use laser-ignition for next-gen rotary

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/28/mazda-rumored-to-use-laser-ignition-for-next-gen-rotary/

Autocar is reporting that the next-generation rotary engine from Mazda may turn to a laser ignition system instead of traditional spark plugs. The report supposedly comes straight from the mouth of a shadowy senior engineer within the program. Mazda has been hard at work on the 16X Renesis rotary since around 2007 and the engine has seen quite a few evolutions over the intervening years. Autocar says that the design has seen displacement swell from 1.3 liters to 1.6 liters and that at least some parts of the engine have been designed to be made from aluminum to further reduce weight.

The work is in an effort to get the rotary to be more fuel efficient and provide more torque, the latter not usually being a chief attribute of this type of engine. According to Autocar, using a high-temperature laser ignition system would allow engineers to tune the Wankel to run leaner than systems that use a conventional spark plug. It would also reportedly allow the engine control module to more accurately adjust and monitor timing.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

I like the idea.

I guess the coolness of this somewhat offsets the fact that it will be a hybrid as well

I dunno, a rotary is just about the only powerplant where making it a hybrid makes any sort of sense. You get a bit of off the line low down torque that is severely lacking on a rotary and some better MPG around town.

It totally makes sense and I think they'll deliver something truly unique in the hybrid segment, but until hybrids become more commonplace in sports cars it will still carry the economy car connotation, hence not quite as cool.

I'd like to see a hybrid rotary. A rotary and electric motor compliment each other nicely I think. Mazda could build one hell-of-a-car with this type of engine I think.

I agree, they could end up with one hell of a flat power curve