Random Thoughts....

Hbriz, I'd get back on the phone and try to work your way up the chain of command. Always remember when dealing with large organisations, particularly over the phone, never accept a "no" from someone who isn't in a position to give you a "yes".

Yeah, I may try again tomorrow, if I can be bothered. The price it would cost to replace is more than I would be saving on train tickets if I had the concession card, so I'm probably not going to bother with it for a while. I can get a new one next year. Pain in the arse, yes, but better than dealing with incompetence from state government departments.

That's the main problem. A larger than usual proportion of people in government jobs are there by default because no private sector organisation would hire them. I can vouch for that here having spent time in a non-clinical part of the NHS and also working with but not for a city council.

I do know some great people who do work in public sector jobs, but I also hear many horror stories, so it really is a mixed bag. NSW Transport though I'm fairly sure is devoid of skill...

Nothing, but nothing beats the liberating feeling of finishing that final exam and feeling the enormous weight lift off your shoulders and realising that, pass or fail, you don't have to STUDY ANY MORE!!!!!!! (for a few weeks)

I've been to two Brazilian restaurants here in the US(Fogo de Ch?o and Texas de Brazil), both were awesome...Fogo de Ch?o nearly put me in a meat comma.

Fogo de Chao is epic, it's even reasonably priced for what you get

How is it that some people go to a different country, and just stay in the hotel grounds for a week, lounging around in the outdoor swimming pool, complaining that no-one speaks English? Why would you go somewhere that far away when you can just go to Butlins? I know someone who's like this - he only goes abroad for package holidays to some Butlins-style family resort in the Mediterranean - and he genuinely never leaves the resort grounds for a week. Except when there's an Irish pub. How can he not have any wanderlust whatsoever?

I cannot understand the appeal of that. I don't even like sun. I'd rather be at home wasting hours on the Playstation or something.

Last edited:
How is it that some people go to a different country, and just stay in the hotel grounds for a week, lounging around in the outdoor swimming pool, complaining that no-one speaks English? Why would you go somewhere that far away when you can just go to Butlins? I know someone who's like this - he only goes abroad for package holidays to some Butlins-style family resort in the Mediterranean - and he genuinely never leaves the resort grounds for a week. Except when there's an Irish pub. How can he not have any wanderlust whatsoever?

I cannot understand the appeal of that. I don't even like sun. I'd rather be at home wasting hours on the Playstation or something.

i can almost agree, when i go somewhere that doesnt just blow my mind all i wanna do is get home and chill infront of my tv.

Yeah, everyone gets that. When you're there, you think about how tired you are and how the water tastes funny. You remember the good moments when you look back though. :p

I just don't understand people who have no interest in world diversity whatsoever. I can understand why they might find my desire to visit North Korea weird, but how can you look at pictures like these:

beatty-john-merzouga-sahara-maroc.jpg

himalayas.jpg

ragusa-excellent-photo-sicily.jpg

and not find them at least a little bit evocative?

Last edited:

Know plenty of people like that, I don't get it either, they all claim it's to achieve a total relaxing effect after a hard workyear.
How the hell is a resort filled with fatcat tourists and absoluutly nothing to do or see that isen't terribly craptastic touristy relaxing again?

I believe it's just that most people aren't that interested in discovering and exploring new things, hell half this planet seems terrified about everything they don't know. :dunno:

I've met people like that, me and the bf have been on vacation on 3 greek islands because we thought they were interesting and there were plenty to see and do and every time there has been some that spent the entire time by the pool. I know denmark isn't the best place to get a tan but surely there are cheaper places if you just want a pool and sun.

Never mind the lying about bit. Why spend all that money to swim in other people's urine while developing a melanoma?

As the late Bill Hicks said when talking about the beach "What's the fascination with the beach? It's where dirt meets water.............I have a bathtub and an imagination so I'm stayin' indoors this summer. That way I get to listen to music I like!"

I usualy end up in climates colder then the one I'm living in for some reason.....

Related:

Actual conversation I had with a coworker years ago when he asked me were I was going that summer, the sheer stupidity of it has assured it is lodged in my brain word for word (translation obviously) :

Canada.
Why? There is no beach there?
What?
Yeah, isen't Canada like all forests and stuff?
That's kinda the point, I want to see a part of the country, meet the people and maybee learn something along the way.
What for?
What do you mean what for? It's fun!
But there's no beach, and I'm guessing no pools either at your hotel.
*sigh* I'm staying at a log cabin.
You mean you have to clean and cook yourself?
Yes, well when we don't go out to eat that is....so?
That means it isen't a vacation!

This was a 20something old male, crewcut, low end beemer, amateur footballplayer, a template for my generation and location at the time if you will.....the future is gonna be great! :p

Last edited:
Why do people like beaches so much. They are covered in annoying people and screaming children. Sure they are pretty but so are most nature things.

And you get sand in your bathing suit. That's just not fun.

Why do people like beaches so much. They are covered in annoying people and screaming children. Sure they are pretty but so are most nature things.

yeah! They're also windy and cold. (well, if you're in Oregon)

Don?t forget the sand.
/me lives in a state that has windy beaches.

EDIT: Darn, Emarline beat me to it.

I hate sand. It's rough and dry and gets everywhere.

(not really, but Anakin Skywalker's sand rant is always worth bringing up)

Last edited: