The cute thread

I don't don't like to train my dogs. It just seems to be very cruel and takes away the wild playful nature.
A dog needs to be trained. He has to know who his master is and he has to obey him. Otherwise, he will be an annoyance or a danger (depending on his size) for the humans around him. And it's not even against nature: wild dogs live in packs where there is an omnipotent lead dog. The pet dog has to know that every human is above him in the pecking order.

I don't don't like to train my dogs. It just seems to be very cruel and takes away the wild playful nature.

I can't find the exact quote anymore, but I remember reading a passage about the working breeds (collies, sheepdogs, etc.) that said they receive their greatest satisfaction not from treats, toys, or comforting words, but from having a capable trainer who is able to teach them how to perform to the maximum of their abilities.

Training a dog is critical. I've trained my dog to ignore any food, no matter how much they want it until I release them. I could put a piece of bacon on my dogs nose and if I tell him to hold he will. The new dog is slowly learning. In proper training you don't scold or mistreat when they do bad things, you reward for good things. So they know if they follow my directions they will get love/treats for being a good dog, and you can feel their anticipation when they know they have done something well.

As someone who can openly admit to being scared of a lot of dogs, I think it should be obligatory to train any dog.

From Top Gear this week, lovely, just too lovely :

Amy-Williams4.jpg

Also having an untrained dog is like having an untrained kid. You are an asshole, and so is your kid. Imagine if you just let a kid run around doing whatever the fuck they wanted, someone will probably punt it into next week after it destroys something.

Yeah, but...dogs > children. :p

Ahh well, they're already 6 (human) years old..

And considering the ongoing issues with dogs being poisoned by neighbours it is a good idea for them to learn to only take what the family feeds them rather than taking food from strangers.

WIN!
FAIL!

charliepole.jpg

The story is this is a de-scented skunk that last week ran head on into the pole and made the house a bit smelly, that was the solution.

Last edited:
What?

They're legal in a few states as long as their scent glands have been removed. Apparently, they're pretty good pets, of course it helps if you get them when they're young and raise them. Apparently they're not too bad with children, either, but the evil part of me hopes that some stupid kid will see someone's pet skunk and then go out and think "I wanna go pet this skunk!" and then get sprayed when they try to pet a wild one. :lol: Of course that's too evil and I wouldn't really wish that upon anyone...

Only certain devil children and their parents. And grumpy old people.

My tuxedo cat is a basterd. :p