2011 Formula 1 Season Thread

In Canada without a speed limit going through the pit lane is faster too, isn't it? Even with that speed limit Button didn't lose much.

Very interesting. It is known that Ferrari have a slow rack ratio as everytime you see Alonso and particularly Massa cornering they look like the are struggling with massive understeer. Works for Alonso, probably doesn't work for Massa, but Ferrari don't care!

For those who don't get what the article is talking about, here is a pole lap from 2004 Alonso.
He THROWS the car at the apex, initiating understeer. Because the Renault of that vintage had an amazingly secure back end, he could drive the car completely off the front tyre grip.

Now, Alonso in 2010. Monza isn't a great example but it's the only one I can find. His inputs are still very direct, but not as sharp as they once were.

The Webber vs Vettel thing with the tyres is interesting as well. I am actually prepared to accept that as the difference between them this year. I just don't buy the theory (that many people are subscribing to) that Webber's car is inferior. It just makes no sense.

Windsor's articles are really good, I have always enjoyed them, but sometimes he does get a bit wrapped up in the technical minutiae of driving. Sometimes I don't think it's QUITE as technical as he makes out.

Last edited:
Windsor's articles are really good, I have always enjoyed them, but sometimes he does get a bit wrapped up in the technical minutiae of driving. Sometimes I don't think it's QUITE as technical as he makes out.

that why i like peter windsor. if you follow a few F1 profiles on twitter, they all post the same and repeat the same things. Peter knows this so every interview he just goes a little bit more in detail...

anyone seen the interview with Sam Michael on the flying lap? that was awesome! full of details which aren't secret at all, but no one has the time to ask...Peter cuts the bullshit and goes straight to these questions :cool:
(and i made me so jealous about Sam's job!!)

I've never really liked his writing. He sorta comes across as a bit of an arrogant, twatish, know it all. Still, I haven't read an article of his since the USGP fiasco.

I doubt he can be worse than Mark "Captain Fucking Obvious" Hughes on the BBC website. He waits until something becomes incredibly obvious and everyone already knows from simple observation, then writes an article informing everyone on what they already know.
Robert Kubica has a good result, he writes an article about how he would be a champion in a faster car (everyone knew that for years already).
The McLaren drivers and engineers talk all Valencia race long about how their problem was their rear tyres heating up too quickly, he writes an article about how the McLaren's rear tyres heated up too quickly (uhhh).
Hamilton goes quickly but retires from a few races. He writes an article about how Hamilton is fast but needs to start finishing (...?)

That's it. He just writes articles that point out what's already obvious to everyone who watches F1. He's a fucking idiot and it pisses me off that part of my licence fee goes to him.

Bernie comparing Vettel to Schumacher:
http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2011/6/12234.html

-----------------

Q: There are people who argue that Ferrari were so dominant because they had Schumacher and Red Bull are because they have Sebastian?
BE: That?s b*ll*cks. The opposite is true. The competition Sebastian is facing is much bigger than that confronted by Michael. That makes Seb?s wins even more noteworthy. I don?t see a reason why there shouldn?t be a Red Bull era just as Ferrari had theirs with Michael.

Dan Ricciardo driving a HRT at Silverstone?

Dan Ricciardo driving a HRT at Silverstone?

I hope not. The HRT is still too far off the pace to be able to properly show Dan's ability IMO. I'd sooner see him continue his third driver duties with Toro Rosso then take a seat there next season. Any earlier with the lack of testing imposed may be a mistake.

Wasn't he driving the Torro Rosso in free practice in Valencia?
He's been driving P1 with Toro Rosso for most of this season I think.

I hope not. The HRT is still too far off the pace to be able to properly show Dan's ability IMO. I'd sooner see him continue his third driver duties with Toro Rosso then take a seat there next season. Any earlier with the lack of testing imposed may be a mistake.
His seat with HRT is being funded by Red Bull, so it's not like he's screwing over his chances at attaining a competitive seat with another team in future. I presume Red Bull is simply making arrangements to provide him with some F1 race experience without going so far as to kick Buemi or Alguesauri out of their seats. Who knows, he might be able to drive the HRT well enough to compete with the other bottom feeding teams.

Quite a big chance of Ricciardo replacing a current Torro Rosso driver, or even Mark Webber for 2012... that's if he doesn't fuck the opportunity up.

Quite a big chance of Ricciardo replacing a current Torro Rosso driver, or even Mark Webber for 2012... that's if he doesn't fuck the opportunity up.

In The Flying Lap yesterday they said that both the drivers have relatively strong links with the team and it would be really difficult to kick either of them out...

In The Flying Lap yesterday they said that both the drivers have relatively strong links with the team and it would be really difficult to kick either of them out...

That's what they, Scott Speed and Sebastian Bourdais said too. I'm jus' saying.

Last edited:
I love the fact that Ricciardo is on the grid, two Aussies on the F1 grid, when was the last time that happened?? But the whole thing stinks to high heaven. Narain was obviously only there because of the money he brought to the table, now he has been outbid, yet is back for the Indian GP. I mean for fuck's sake, all this chopping and changing drivers doesn't do anyone any good.

I really wish there was some way to ban personal sponsorship. Make it so the drivers are banned from bringing money to the team. Unfortunately it would be nigh on impossible to enforce.

all this chopping and changing drivers doesn't do anyone any good.

Actually it does HRT a lot of good, they couldn't be on the grid without the money from the drivers IMO.

Thank god Narain is out, he was always dead last and getting very badly in the way. I hear good things about Ricciardo, but i can't see him doing anything remarkable in the HRT. It probably is good experience though. I hope as ALXBWSCREW says it will inject HRT with some more cash and help them move forward, no one likes the huge gap between the top and the bottom at the moment.