The Ultimate macOS Thread

I am encountering an odd program. I am watching something in VLC, I close laptop. I open it later there is no sound. This happens abut 50% of the time and I have no idea why. Yesterday it did it with an online video too so it is apparently not just VLC.

The video. It comes back when I either refresh or restart the program.

See if it does the same with Movist for instance, I'm pretty sure the issue is with VLC. Is your Flash player up-to-date as well?

Yeah everything is up to date. I'll try other players and see

I have a really weird thing with YouTube on my Chrome. Basically instead of a video I get a hole in the browser that shows w/e is behind it, be it my desktop or programs behind it, anything. I've noticed it with some flash ads as well so I figured it was ABP fucking up so I disabled it for the sites that are safe (like this one) but still same thing, can't find anything on Google.

Now it's not doing that anymore, I have done NOTHING at all to the system (not even reboot).... so weird.

I have a really weird thing with YouTube on my Chrome. Basically instead of a video I get a hole in the browser that shows w/e is behind it, be it my desktop or programs behind it, anything. I've noticed it with some flash ads as well so I figured it was ABP fucking up so I disabled it for the sites that are safe (like this one) but still same thing, can't find anything on Google.

Another reason why flash sucks.

the 14th came and went without any lions. any more ideas on when it's coming?

I'm pretty sure they found quite a few bugs (I sure did) and delayed it for a few days / weeks. I guess that's one good thing about not having to press discs :-D

I find it irritating that some "Wintel" fanboys focus only on the cost of the device. While I'm not a Mac owner, I am fluent across both platforms and I get why people would pay more. One pays a premium for the "Apple Experience": the industrial design/premium materials, the excellent support and service, the buying experience, the integration between software and hardware.

It's annoying to try and explain that to some of my Mac hating coworkers who's only defense is price..."a comparable PC's cheappperrrr." /facepalm

I find it irritating that some "Wintel" fanboys focus only on the cost of the device. While I'm not a Mac owner, I am fluent across both platforms and I get why people would pay more. One pays a premium for the "Apple Experience": the industrial design/premium materials, the excellent support and service, the buying experience, the integration between software and hardware.

It's annoying to try and explain that to some of my Mac hating coworkers who's only defense is price..."a comparable PC's cheappperrrr." /facepalm

based on my 13" macbook pro (mid 2010)

premium materials yes (others are catching up) but the rest I'm not so sure about

buying experience? really? going to a packed shop with a billion people floating around and waiting ages to be served?
support? my experience with apple has been fairly ordinary
hardware/software integration? not really any better than windows 7 (put 3rd party software on either and they both have as many issues as each other - e.g. parallels causing kernal panics)

Apple sees the Apple Stores as the "ultimate buying experience", I'm not convinced about that, I much prefer small and less crowed Apple resellers where the sales guys / service guys have a lot more time to give you.

Or even just ordering online and having it delivered straight to your door. The Apple store staff I've interacted with wern't very tech-savvy at all and basically kept saying "buy this because its apple" whereas the smaller resellers were much more professional and willing to cut a good deal.

Over here in Europe Apple's hardware service, especially their run-by-leprachauns central "repair" (repair in quotes) facility in Ireland is legendary for it's bad reputation.

Of course, most local authorized service persons are brilliant at their job, but if you ordered at the Apple Store and simply call Apple for a warranty repair, your mac will end up in Ireland...

Last edited:
Over here in Europe Apple's hardware service, especially their run-by-leprachauns central "repair" (repair in quotes) facility in Ireland is legendary for it's bad reputation.

Of course, most local authorized service persons are brilliant at their job, but if you ordered at the Apple Store and simply call Apple for a warranty repair, your mac will end up in Ireland...
I once sent my iPod photo in for repairs under warranty. It came back scratched all over the damn place and in generally worse condition than I sent it in as, plus they didn't fix the problem. So that was indeed a wise lesson, luckily more Apple resellers have opened in .nl since then along with hardware repair facilities.

I bought an iPod mini overseas, and it died about a week after I got back home. Went to the closest reseller, and a new one was in my hands a week later.