Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Steam....download....going.....so.....slowly.

So I finally got around to trying some overclocking yesterday, and it turns out my damn BIOS has no manual CPU voltage setting, it only allows you to adjust the offset for the automatic Vcore.
:blowup:

And for some bizarre reason, after updating my BIOS, Windows decided to move the BOOTMGR to a different hard drive than the OS, which meant I had to boot from a different hard drive. Except that I didn't realize that until after an hour of fiddling around. <_< However, I have now moved BOOTMGR back where it belongs and all is well.

You know, that big sale might have something to do with it.

Any idea why my folder icons look like this?

Wh3MV.png

Win 7 64bit. Only thing that I can recall doing around the time they changed is that I installed Fallout 2.

It has to have something to do with that... basically the color depth has been reduced, anything else change apart from the folder icons? Is it all folders or just some? It lines up with installing Fallout 2 since a game like that would run in a low-color mode. Does it go away when you reboot? Come back when you run the game?

I've had a chance to play with my dad's old PC.

It used to have a i-forgot-how-old-now Athlon XP 1600+ which I had unlocked and overclocked to 2000+ with a 200MHz FSB. I gave him a present a few months ago - one of the last, and best Barton 3200+ (200 bus again).

Damn that thing is fast! It's making absolute mincemeat of my dad's laptop (Celeron 1.5) and even my Core Duo P7350...

It's no good for playing modern games, but considering it's running WinXP all Win apps are running very smooth and fast.

I have some summer cleaning to do I think.
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mo/mooglebunny/2011/07/07/DSCN1128.JPG
Where is the ram you wonder? I had to take it to the post office (insured package of course) and RMA back to Corsair. One stick died. =(

https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mo/mooglebunny/2011/07/07/DSCN1134.JPG
Cleaning these GPUs may help a bit with heat, but it's not going to help much with how loud the fans are at 100% (during gaming). It looks like the fans may be changeable, but it's hard to tell without pulling them and checking for sure (I didn't look at it much when the fans were connected and placed initially).

https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mo/mooglebunny/2011/07/07/DSCN1131.JPG
I have cable management... Bunched down at a big space next to the power supply. It's relatively clean above this spot. @_@ It was looking better before, but I've had to travel with it a bit and I think from moving about some of the cables moved around.

Last edited:
All fans are changeable...it's finding the replacement that is the problem! Most manufacturers don't sell replacement fans and usually you have to improvise a little with "aftermarket" fans of the same dimension.

Yeah I had a feeling. I'll have to do some major research since I asked and got about no answers earlier. I would just like some quieter!, but efficient fans for them. I know clearing out the dust will help a bit with the heat issue, but more of my problem is the noise the stock fans make. Luckily I have a friend (and perhaps his uncle also) who could probably help me out in getting some new fans to fit if I find some.

Those fans are audible from the kitchen/dining room in my house with the door closed to my room. (About 20 feet or so. I feel bad because my roommate's doors are right near mine and they usually leave them open while I have the computer on. They end up watching TV or listening to stuff on their computers very loudly over the fans.)

Hahah haven't you gotten used to them? When I bought my old desktop back in 2004 I upgraded the cooling system with Thermaltake fans - 8cm's with manually adjustable RPMs. At 2000rpm they are quite decent. At 5000rpm it's like there is a vacuum cleaner in the room that is constantly own.

I'm used to them since I use the desktop a lot. The noise doesn't bother me personally. I can tell that it bothers my roommates though who also just sit their rooms or hang out in the one room right next to mine all day like me when they are here (which is a lot). They always say "Oh noise doesn't bother us", but I can tell they get a bit grumbly when I have the desktop on. That's the problem mainly. Now if it was just me alone in my own place I wouldn't really care.

I can't wait until next week (payday) I'll get more ram for my laptop (4GB total, 2 atm) a replacement keyboard (keys look junky) and perhaps a new battery.