The Stig: The new Stig does not like to keep it tiddy

old911

Car(s)
911 3.2, E46 Coupe
Has anyone else noticed how the new Stig uses more oversteer and breaks the back end loose during his laps much more frequently than the old Stig? Looks at the laps with the 1M and Virage from this season.

At least, this season he certainly is. Has anyone else noticed this and do you have any thoughts as to why?

I personally feel like they are trying to make better television, and make the laps a little more fun to watch.

What the fuck is "tiddy"?

It's kind of like "tidy", only you have to do more. ;)

i just think its because the 1M and Virage are rear wheel drive so would tend to slide more. even so, it doesn't seem to affect the lap times as they seem to be just as consistent, if quicker.

Wow.. I didn't know the spelling-police was watching this board so closely ... :p

I don't think it's the Stig in this case but rather the cars. RWD + big engine up front is bound to result in some tail-happiness at the limit - a fact that's been confirmed for the 1M in other reviews I've read and of course by the practice-footage they showed after the hot-lap.. :D

S.

Regardless of style I think it can safely be said that this Stig is quicker than the last one.

He's the Stig, the tame racing driver. Who are we to argue with his driving style?

Before entering this thread I had to decide whether it was a euphemism or not for something else he might be getting up to. :lol:

Last edited:
I've mentioned this before, but i'll say it again. The reason the new Stig is less "tiddy" is because Tiff Needell is probably filling in until they find a permanent replacement. No doubt, some people will rubbish this claim, but i've been watching Tiff drive for long enough now to recognise his trademark driving style and position. You can also tell by watching the review of the Ariel Atom V8 - Tiff and the Stig have an almost identical preference for powersliding. Plus, testing the McLaren MP4-12C at Dunsfold seems quite a co-incidence...

That being said, I don't think it's him ALL the time. For instance, I think the Ferrari GTO lap may have been a Ferrari test driver.

I really like how new Stig can drift around Chicago. I'm not sure if it's faster to take a much more traditional line, but it sure looks fast and exciting.

I really like how new Stig can drift around Chicago. I'm not sure if it's faster to take a much more traditional line, but it sure looks fast and exciting.

If by "tiddy" you mean slow, then I completely agree!

I've noticed the tail happiness as well but it does seem like he isn't losing any time on this. Goes back to something I've always felt to be true despite many people disagreeing, in certain corners sliding IS faster its not done during official races due to safety (read: getting your ass disqualified) concerns and tire life. This as somewhat confirmed by one of my friends who was at Lime Rock and there was a guy who would slide on a few corners. There were also some Skip Barber instructors talking about how his sliding allowed him to scrub off speed just enough to get around the corner as fast as possible but with very little braking.

What the fuck is "tiddy"?

wordreference.com lists it as

"Brit. dialect or nautical slang a Cornish pasty.
? origin prob. from West Country dial. tiddy ?potato? and Cornish hogen ?pastry?."

Also from the site, Tiddy Mun was a bog spirit worshiped in Lincolnshire England, which supposedly had the ability to control floods.