These Things We Love

*bump*

Surely there are more things we love?

I for one love the fact that I'll get to go to Chicago and back for free this summer. :happy: </bragtroll>

I've noticed a few things over the last few days:

1. When you buy strawberries and your entire car fills up with that wonderful smell.
  2. When you come home late at night, flip on the lights and find a sweet kitty sleeping in your bed.

3. Had to separate this from the other two, but when you have a nice big cup of coffee and about half an hour later have a really terrific bowel movement.

compatibility

A while ago, I bought an LCD display with almost all imaginable input ports. As a result, I can use the satellite receiver in my new room with it and need no separate TV.

After being sick in bed for three days with the most heinous disease of all, far far far worse than any man flu :heart: a proper shower (rather than the 'I can barely stand and I'm just rinsing and trying to breathe in as much steam as possible' type) and clean sheets.

Even nicer if the rather curvy blonde private nurse had changed the sheets before she then proceeded to administer the medication.. :) ... oh wait, damn, fantasy again. Fevered dreams of deliriousness can be fun too ;)

We cannot love. We are robots.

Actually, do you know what I love? The fact that the DofE expedition is finally over! Even though the damn thing turned me orange from sunburn and gave me a massive bleeding wound in my abdomen. Still! No more rucksacks! No more walking! No more tents! No more navigation! No more trangias!

Rejoice!

Last edited:
We cannot love. We are robots.

Actually, do you know what I love? The fact that the DofE expedition is finally over! Even though the damn thing turned me orange from sunburn and gave me a massive bleeding wound in my abdomen. Still! No more rucksacks! No more walking! No more tents! No more navigation! No more trangias!

Rejoice!

I remember my own expedition last year. When I got home I lied in my own bed watching How I Met Your Mother, eating a dessert. My mindset was 'Oh, the decadence!'

Ehh.... better than being a 7 year old trapped in a 22 years old's basement.
That's still better than being a 7 year old with a 22 year old trapped in your body.

Did I just plumb new depths (no pun intended)?

And just to get back on topic: clouds. I love clouds. Not the sky covering black ones, but the little fluffy white ones that sail across a summer sky.

Last edited:
I love searching travel options for several hours and finding almost exactly what I've dreamed of. :mrgreen:

edit: ...and being able to book it! :happy:

Last edited:
Good neighbors.

I love the fact that my boss is promising that I get a company car next year. It will probably be one of the other service tech's cast off but so what? Free car, free gas, free insurance, free service? It'll be a Jeep Patriot. Vinyl wrapped in yellow and white with "-Weishaupt- Oil and Gas burners" on the side. :D

Having a job that's willing to pay for my school and pay me to work and paying me while I'm at school. Basically, I'm on salary with full benefits too. And the other part, we're non union!

However, what I don't love is, I really need to find a place I can park my truck until I can move out during that time. I refuse to sell that truck.

When my friend's little girl climbs into my lap and snuggles up to me. That feeling of being loved is something that doesn't happen to me that often - what with me living alone and being 3000 miles away from my family - and it's the most amazing feeling ever. I envy all of you fathers out there who get to experience that feeling almost daily.

Oh and parallel parking my car, shutting off the engine, getting out, unloading the groceries from the trunk/boot, and going inside my apartment to bust out in hysterical laughter because my next-door neighbor is still trying to parallel park her car (A 2009 Corolla BTW, hardly a land yacht.) while I was doing all of that.

Necessary bump

Yesterday was dashami, so since I'm at home we have a prayer at home. We basically pray to Saraswathi, the goddess of knowledge. We place a whole bunch of books in front of the idols and pray and ask for blessings.

One thing that we do is read a passage from our book, so I put down my cosmology book and then realized the problem. I would have to find a passage that had english :lmao:. And sure enough when I flipped the book, the first thing I got was 2 full pages of proofs and equations with little to no english :p. When I flipped some more, I ended up on a passage that discussed the works of Saul Perlmutter and Adam Reiss... which if you don't know who they are, they just received the nobel prize in physics on Tuesday.

Anyways, one other thing we do is we sing songs, because that's art and we appreciate all forms of knowledge, not just science math and the usual. So I was asked to sing, and my dad joined me.

We had tons of fun singing, screwing up, and outdoing each other with different variations of songs we've been singing for a long time.

Every time I can sing with my dad, no matter what age I am, I feel like I'm 8 years old, sitting in our ford car, singing with my dad on the way to school. I don't think I could go through life now without music and without singing.

I am pleased you find such nice things in your religion - unfortunately I can not bring myself to believe.

I am pleased you find such nice things in your religion - unfortunately I can not bring myself to believe.

Honestly, if it wasn't for my mom, I would not know about half of these holidays, let alone a handful of them. I don't keep track and all that, and I feel like I should. But then again I'm not "religious". This is hard to explain, so I typed out a bit of a passage. If you wish to read it, please feel free.

Before I start this explanation: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't take this as a preaching thing. I'm not trying to recruit people into hinduism, I hate people that try to convert and do that sort of shit. I wish we could ban them from this planet. I am just a stupid person describing what I understand about Hinduism, and how I perceive it and live it.

Hinduism is a science and a way of life more than a religion. In fact it's name is actually 'Sanathana Dharma' which means "Unbreakable way of life" or "Eternal law". Dharma here meaning "law" or "way of life"

The concept of God is actually somewhat loose in the religion as you can take the meanings of Gods as either religious or scientific or none or both.

For example, when I was in India in '10, we hit up this temple early in the morning to conduct a "marriage" between the God Krishna and his consort Radha. I always hated the term "consort" because it humanized something that wasn't human.

Anyways, I was a bit annoyed that I had to get up early to marry 2 Gods. I am not that traditional unlike my dad's brother (who we were doing this along with and for).

I wasn't vocal about it, but I think my mom knew that I wouldn't like it, so she sits there and whispers in my ear "By conducting this ceremony you are promising to unite the unmanifest and manifest universes together". And suddenly I was totally fine with it.

We put everything as 'God' basically just to say that it's sacred and holy and should be respected. It causes people to respect one another, to respect living things, and to respect the things they have in their life (food, water, shelter, education). Plus it makes it easier to explain things to kids and to those who don't fully understand scientific concepts.

Another example is the god Nataraja. He's a form of Shiva, and is considered the lord of dance. But then they also say if he stops dancing, everything in the universe stops. Aka.... he's kinetic energy/potential energy. And so when I put my hands on the idol of nataraja's feet and ask for blessings, I'm basically asking the universe to not forsake me in giving me some of that potential energy to do something productive.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I take everything that's labeled as 'God' for their scientific and astrophysical nature. As I grew up in the world of astrophysics that sense of 'God' is doing this and 'God' is doing that wore off greatly. I had to explain everything scientifically and I'm glad that my parents are scientists and PhDs because they back me up on this.

Hinduism basically describes nature, explains physics, math, chemistry, biology, and astrophysics, and ties in a little bit of philosophy and general laws on how to treat others. There's no real sense of "believe in this god or we will excommunicate you". There's no baptism or entrance into it, anyone here on the forums can call themselves a Hindu or Buddhist. You don't have to believe in the Gods, you don't have to believe in the stories and tales they say, and for the most part I don't and that's totally fine.

If you ask any educated person in India they'll tell you about the various Gods and all the temples that are devoted to each one etc. etc. If you ask a farmer or someone that's totally uneducated and not well versed in it about the Gods, they'll say "I have no idea what you're talking about". "I just get up every morning and pray for a bountiful harvest and for the safety of my family" and they are the happiest and most unbreakable people ever.

That's all.

Actually I guess this is yet another thing I love. My science and studies don't clash with my beliefs. In fact they go hand in hand and most of the time Hinduism has already explained that shit in full detail and we're currently like "derp the universe is expanding". "Derp big bang". "Derp dark energy".