MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
I've always wondered why the intake and filter are on the exhaust manifold side of the engine, especially when people fit open elements and then build metal shields to protect from the heat. Why not to move the MAF-sensor closer to throttle butterfly and then install open filter directly behind the right side driving light? If the driving light had NACA-duct, it would get lots of cold air directly to the filter. There is not much space, but shouldn't be impossible?

I swapped cars with LeVeL today after a Miata car show, and found the Miata to be a very interesting car. First off, the controls (steering, clutch, gearshift) are noticeably heavier than in the MR2, and the gas and brake pedals are further apart, so heel and toe is a bit harder. However, on a tight turn I noticed that the rear end is quite a bit friskier; makes sense, as there's less weight and less grip back there. We didn't get on any particularly challenging roads, but from a run through the city, I get the feeling that the Miata is more fun and less serious than the MR2, something said that by every publication that's compared the two. I'll let him chime in with his impressions of the MR2; both of us gladly went back to our own cars, but it's always interesting to see how competitors do things differently.

Yeah, heel'n toe took some time for me, sometimes I ended up kicking air between the pedals. You do learn it after practicing, but if the pedals were a bit close together, it would be much better design. I'd like to try out MR2 sometime, so far the only middle engined car I've driven was a Boxster with silent russian guy from the dealership with me, so I didn't push it very much...

I swapped cars with LeVeL today after a Miata car show, and found the Miata to be a very interesting car. First off, the controls (steering, clutch, gearshift) are noticeably heavier than in the MR2, and the gas and brake pedals are further apart, so heel and toe is a bit harder. However, on a tight turn I noticed that the rear end is quite a bit friskier; makes sense, as there's less weight and less grip back there. We didn't get on any particularly challenging roads, but from a run through the city, I get the feeling that the Miata is more fun and less serious than the MR2, something said that by every publication that's compared the two. I'll let him chime in with his impressions of the MR2; both of us gladly went back to our own cars, but it's always interesting to see how competitors do things differently.
I pretty much agree. I thought the MR2's steering was much lighter (makes sense, there is no engine up front), the pedals softer, and the shifter looser - it's nice and short and notchy compared to the majority of cars out there but not compared to the Miata. The MR also felt slower than the Miata, which is weird because LCG thought the exact opposite... could have something to do with the 270lbs passenger I had in the Toyota. The interior is really different - much higher doors than in the Mazda and very different feel. I think both of us found the other's car to be a lot of fun but we are still sticking to our own.

For the record - the MR2 Spyder is the luxury car of the two: stock power door locks, cupholders, tilt steering wheel, and a window lock switch... Bourgeoisie bastard :p

Oh, and we are starting a new club, Small Cute Cars of America (hint: look at the abbreviation).

I'd better watch myself, being called bourgeois by a young Russian can never end well :mrgreen:. And for the record, said 270 lb passenger is the one who couldn't fit in the Miata with the seat out, but with the MR2's seat out he even fits with the top up, and with headroom to spare:
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/la/labcoatguy/2011/07/10/F3104955.jpg

Meanwhile, at the Miata show, I managed to put eyes on all five different Miata fronts:
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/la/labcoatguy/2011/07/10/F3104943.ORF.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/la/labcoatguy/2011/07/10/F3104946.ORF.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/la/labcoatguy/2011/07/10/F3104948.ORF.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/la/labcoatguy/2011/07/10/F3104950.ORF.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/la/labcoatguy/2011/07/10/F3104951.ORF.jpg

Definitely looks best on the facelifted NC.

Last edited:
Side effect of driving convertibles: you rack up some pretty fierce watch tans.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blaro/2011/07/10/265921_10100160369919246_5525513_47869500_4612869_o.jpg

I was staring at the picture for a couple minutes, trying to figure out if you can see that racing driver's watch tan or something, before I even noticed your arm there.

I've always wondered why the intake and filter are on the exhaust manifold side of the engine, especially when people fit open elements and then build metal shields to protect from the heat. Why not to move the MAF-sensor closer to throttle butterfly and then install open filter directly behind the right side driving light? If the driving light had NACA-duct, it would get lots of cold air directly to the filter. There is not much space, but shouldn't be impossible?

Intake length. It's a tuned length system. Notice also on your 1.6l car that there is a little hemholz chamber near the Throttle body, if thats removed it causes a funky power dip in the 3k-4k range (not an issue on the 1.8's).

You wear a watch still?

Shave your head and live in LA, watch how fast your skull and neck turn red ;)

Last edited:
Intake length. It's a tuned length system. Notice also on your 1.6l car that there is a little hemholz chamber near the Throttle body, if thats removed it causes a funky power dip in the 3k-4k range (not an issue on the 1.8's).

Ah, that explains it. I thought the lenght mattered only after the throttle body, but that explains why the hemholz chamber is before it. Thanks!

One of my arms is noticeably tanner than the other one thanks to driving to work every day with the top down.

Good side effect of driving a convertible. No homo.

I know I need to get a hair cut when wind at speed plus length/weight of hair exceeds strength of hair product.

I know I need to get a hair cut when wind at speed plus length/weight of hair exceeds strength of hair product.

So, it's not the well-groomed man who buys a convertable, it's the convertable that produces the well groomed man! Stereotype smashed.

Reactions: MWF
Should you really be using the word "grooming" on the interwebz?

Hmm, I found it much easier to just have short hair. I save money on hair products and can buy parts for my car! :D

Hey actually, does somebody have Hard Dog's Hard Top compatible rollbar? Because of the incredible delivery costs, taxes etc the anti-gay bar would end up costing more than 600 eur (about $850 :O), so I have to do it myself. Apart from the welding part, that's something I'm not gonna do myself.

Anyway, when I start to make the rollbar, I'd need some measurements to make sure hard top side latches work etc, so it would be nice to know if somebody has the HT version of the Hard Dog bar and would be willing to measure some basic things. :)

I've started spending more money on my hair keeping my head shaved then when I had long hair. But then keeping the "surfer long hair style" is pretty easy if you own a comb. :p

So now when Miata drivers have started to talk about hair, what next? Teeth whitening? :D

Hey actually, does somebody have Hard Dog's Hard Top compatible rollbar? Because of the incredible delivery costs, taxes etc the anti-gay bar would end up costing more than 600 eur (about $850 :O), so I have to do it myself. Apart from the welding part, that's something I'm not gonna do myself.

Anyway, when I start to make the rollbar, I'd need some measurements to make sure hard top side latches work etc, so it would be nice to know if somebody has the HT version of the Hard Dog bar and would be willing to measure some basic things. :)
:wave:

270269_10100248723682632_9131082_49948458_3623376_n.jpg

FYI, I paid about $710 or so for mine, shipped within the US.

Bros, didn't you know? Miatas are for fucking faggots. Now the 2002 Hyundai Elantra, that is a fine sporting machine.

</smokeweedeveryday>

Bros, didn't you know? Miatas are for fucking faggots. Now the 2002 Hyundai Elantra, that is a fine sporting machine.

</smokeweedeveryday>

Why does this guy have a blog? Seriously, who cares about the opinion of someone from Cleveland in college who's a proud fan of Harry Potter?

Blaro, I demand my 15 seconds back for having clicked on that fucking link!

:wave:

FYI, I paid about $710 or so for mine, shipped within the US.

Whoa, I didn't know rollbars are so expensive even in the USA. Now I just need to get back to Finland and start cutting and bending pipe, but how hard can it be? :D