Stupid Driver Stories

What I hate is when people stop 1, 2 or more car lengths back from the line. Especially at sensor-triggered lights. Though it seems to be a very chronic problem in NoDak drivers in my experience.

Some people get very worked up about being tailed. I know someone who does that all the time.

I wasn't tailing, but I was significantly faster, and I was waiting for a legal bit of road to pass (legal even from physical standards, most of the time there simply was not enough straight tarmac between one bend and the other), so it's obvious I was nearere than pure relaxed drive, and by the reaction it's obvious that I was even nearer than what the car in front considered its comfort zone. Then again, on a series of tight bends and 20-30 kph (15-20 mph) hairpins (or less), the safe space between cars is quite less than on a 70 mph straight.

Then again, these people are -slow-; so much, in fact, that sometimes they managed to be slower than me just coasting out of (down-hill) bends I have entered at the same speed they have...

Also, when I meet people doing this thing, I can pretty much always keep up with their faster driving with little efforts, and to be even more fair to them I stick to my own lane at any time while they cut wildly almost any bend they come across, and I'm still faster than them. And I drive a Golf, not a sporty BMW!

Last edited:
Dear Semi-Truck drivers and Prius owners,

When you're passing, hit the gas pedal so you're actually you know, "passing" the person next to you. That's all I ask.

Sincerely,

a V8 owner.

Dear clueless teenager, most semi-trucks have speed governors so when they are overtaking another big rig, they are actualy flooring it.

Sincerely,

a fellow V8 owner and truckdriver.

Last edited:
What is the rate of speed governors in the US? I've seen semi-trucks doing 80+ out west.

What is the rate of speed governors in the US? I've seen semi-trucks doing 80+ out west.

No idea, I know they get bypassed alot more then they do in Europe, quess less people (cops) care.

When you see a truck passing another one at a 2 mph difference though, believe you me this is not because the overtaking driver refuses 'to push the gas'.

Last edited:
No idea, I know they get bypassed alot more then they do in Europe, quess less people (cops) care.

When you see a truck passing another one at a 2 mph difference though, believe you me this is not because the overtaking driver refuses 'to push the gas'.

That brings us to the question of why would you bother overtaking to go 2mph faster?
I think US ones might be ungoverned I seen them go 90+

That brings us to the question of why would you bother overtaking to go 2mph faster?

I think US ones might be ungoverned I seen them go 90+

Because it drives you nuts to stay behind a guy who is slower....no idea why, it just does.

Thing is, if the guy ahead of you is going 88 (kph), you set your cruise control to that.....but he isen't going exactly 88...he's going 88.5, or 84,8, or your cruisecontrol isen't exact, so you are constantly fiddling with it to keep a safe distance.

When there is nobody infront you just get it up to the limiter, set cruise, keep it there.

The problem around here is that truck drivers go absolutely crazy to get that speed coming up to a hill. I saw one suddenly change lanes and miss the rear bumper of an SUV by inches. I understand why they do it, but one man's 20 mph is not worth another man's life....

And yes they do seem to go 80 mph or more over here in certain places. I don't have a problem with that since the rest of traffic is going even faster.

Okay, I have a legitamate complaint against a (quantity of one) truck driver. I was heading North on I77 through Canton today, and aparantly there was some work being done in the left lane, between the Fulton and Belden Village exits (for anyone familiar with the area). I was doing 55~60, tailing a dump truck in the middle lane, when a single-rear axle day cab hauling a "pup" trailer (30' single axle trailer), comes flying up the left lane along side me, then starts pacing the dump truck. Problem is, the left lane is blocked off ahead, and there's no room between me and the dump truck for the day cab (in fact, the cab was alongside my car to be honest). So what does he do? Puts on his signal and tries to force his way into me. Briliant move considering the right hand lane was full up, so I literally had no escape route except to hit my brakes and let him through (alternatively he could've plowed into the working crew, he really had no intention of slowing down, all the way up to where the cones were). Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the name of the company, because as soon as the left lane opened up again, he floored it and was flying through traffic like a punk ricer in a Honda Civic.

I'm thinking he must be some kind of local delivery driver or something, because I've never seen anyone running a truck like that, especially in the far left lane like that. Seriously, he was going faster than the flow of traffic (which was already 5 - 10 over the speed limit).

Dear clueless teenager, most semi-trucks have speed governors so when they are overtaking another big rig, they are actualy flooring it.

Sincerely,

a fellow V8 owner and truckdriver.

Dear clueless Cowbody, I'm not a teenager.

And second of all, if you're a semi truck, why are you passing in a two lane construction zone?

i lived in saudi arabia most of my life( in us now) and one thing i learned to memorize is to treat everyone like they are blind , deaf and can really mistake a road for a rally/race track.
i was once driving along with my friend and we noticed 3 cars way behind us , we noticed them cuz the sound they made was an instant eargasm =p , a ford gt and a lambo were racing with a mustang saleen tailing them ...it was gr8 from far when the road was open ..when they got near the intersection the lambo panicked and lost control near a turn-about and ended up on the turn-about with the whole front end gone cuz of the high pavement around it. they were guys younger than me who drove...and im 19 =/

IIRC, some states mandate speed governors and some do not.

Some companies will fit governors to their trucks for various reasons, and as such their limit points vary. Many do not and the truck is able to go as fast as it can with whatever load it's got behind it.

As many people can testify, an ungoverned semi tractor with no trailer can go astonishingly fast. I've personally observed one going 120 and have a witness who can verify. (He was being chased by the thing and I was following along after. Long story.)

Ok I want to hear about that.

Ok I want to hear about that.

Short version: My friend merp (a member and lurker here on FG) gave me a lift down to Houston to pick up my XKR when I'd bought it. On the way back up to Dallas, we were cruising along with the XKR well in the lead (because I was playing with it, duh, new toy). I get a phone call telling me to get out of the way because he's being chased. Few seconds later I see an '03 Cobra go flying past... with a bobtail (no trailer) semi-tractor hot on its heels. I hit at least 140 to catch up and was cruising at 120 for several minutes behind the tractor before merp and his Cobra were able to get out of sight of the driver and he finally backed off a bit.

Apparently the driver was enraged by the Cobra speeding past (we weren't exactly obeying the nighttime speed limit) and decided to chase him for no good reason. Edit: It may have been because I'd cruised past a few minutes previously - two apparently high dollar/high performance cars might have set him off for some reason. I never did find out.

The driver of the semi was eventually stopped and arrested by the Ennis, Texas police department (in fact, I think half the shift came out to stop him - Ennis brought three cruisers to the party) and the entire incident is on record there. I would assume they kept the recording of the 911 call while I was pursuing the semi-tractor - along with his GPS log.

Last edited:
Dear clueless Cowbody, I'm not a teenager.

And second of all, if you're a semi truck, why are you passing in a two lane construction zone?

Piss people like you off.....

Most post from you I would have guessed you are at best 16 if I didn't look at your stated age, if it acts like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc etc......

Done with you.

If you are being tailed on a windy road you have failed at driving :)

The only time I can remember pulling over like that I was driving to look at the house I live in now and I didn't know the roads, it was fogged so badly I could barely see 10 feet in front of me. Of course now I could drive the road blindfolded.

The person I know who does this thinks her chosen speed is the only acceptable one and anything faster is an idiot trying to get himself killed, anything slower is an idiot clogging up the road ;) She also follows people home to yell at them if they anger her in traffic, that's probably what she's afraid someone tailing her would be doing.

Oh, and she drives a Saturn, big surprise right?

The only time I can remember pulling over like that I was driving to look at the house I live in now and I didn't know the roads, it was fogged so badly I could barely see 10 feet in front of me. Of course now I could drive the road blindfolded.

The person I know who does this thinks her chosen speed is the only acceptable one and anything faster is an idiot trying to get himself killed, anything slower is an idiot clogging up the road ;) She also follows people home to yell at them if they anger her in traffic, that's probably what she's afraid someone tailing her would be doing.

Oh, and she drives a Saturn, big surprise right?

LOL so much fail in one person :)

Driving home this morning from dropping the kids off at school this morning. About 1/4 mile from a roundabout which I know will be busy so staying a good 6-7 car lengths from the Volvo V50 in front of me. Volvo driver comes to complete stop to let someone out of a side road and head the opposite way to us.

One look in the mirror and she would have realised there was no need to waste the fuel or wear the brake pads! I know it was a woman as I passed her in the other lane as she queued to enter the roundabout while I sailed straight round it in 3rd gear having timed my arrival to perfection! :lol:

Just proves what my advanced (retired Police instructor/pursuit driver) examiner told me - 95% of the people on the roads drive around in a state of unconscious incompetence!

Last edited:
^ I hate that when people are so focused on what's going in front of them, that they fail to notice the mess behind them.
I give you for example the dude in the old Subaru Leone, who did ~25km/h while (probably) searching for a house number, and didn't notice that he was holding down me and two other cars behind me. He continued his slow-coaching until I turned on the high beams for about five seconds, which caused him to move aside and take his hand out of the window in a "srydude" kind of movement. D:

^ I hate that when people are so focused on what's going in front of them, that they fail to notice the mess behind them.
I give you for example the dude in the old Subaru Leone, who did ~25km/h while (probably) searching for a house number, and didn't notice that he was holding down me and two other cars behind me. He continued his slow-coaching until I turned on the high beams for about five seconds, which caused him to move aside and take his hand out of the window in a "srydude" kind of movement. D:

I dunno. A case like that while irritating isn't a big deal for me. If it was obvious he was looking for the numbers, he probably wasn't familiar with the area. Or lost. Or both.

And as soon as you signaled, he let you all by and gave the "hand wave" thing. :)

Its the people who drive slow, creep almost to a stop, then drive again slow, then almost stop for no apparent reason. Then when you finally can get around them, nicely, they give you the "If looks could kill you'd be dead!" look.

I'm lucky. As a woman I can generally get away with flipping someone the finger as I pass them. :D