[17x04] July 17th, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
There might be another reason the show isn't as car-centric as we'd like it to be. It's just a speculation but bear with me: I bet Top Gear has made a lot of enemies in car companies through years of bashing and making fun of their cars. Some manufacturers may stop giving them test cars for that reason. So they may be forced to review cars from certain manufacturers.

I'll be really happy if I don't see any Audi/Porsche reviews this season. Or Ferrari. I am sick to death of Jeremy showing every time the buttons on the steering wheel and the Race button. It's really old now.

Well, we've seen that your thoughts are right: Chevrolet won't give Top Gear cars anymore, as seen with the Camaro. And Bentley refused to do in the last season, even though i don't know why. But we've seen the solution. The Budget of the Show is so high, and the salaries of the presenters indeed (didn't Richard buy the Camaro for himself?), that they are able to just buy the cars, if they want to have them on their show.

I think the Reason for all the Ferraris, Porsches, Merc's an BMW's on the show is simple. Jeremy loves Ferraris, Richard loves Porsches, they all like BMW's, Jeremy likes Merc's etc.
If one of us wold be a presenter at the show, we would do the same thing i think^^
As I said sometime ago: it's not a car-show, it's a show about Hammond, Clarkson and May and the things they like. Which are cars, but not all of them ;)

Last edited:
didn't Richard buy the Camaro for himself?

As I said sometime ago: it's not a car-show, it's a show about Hammond, Clarkson and May and the things they like. Which are cars, but not all of them ;)

if you mean the episode with the american muscle cars then it was a dodge challenger that he bought but i think the bbc sold it afterwards anyway so they wouldnt have lost too much money on that but i agree their budget is enormous.

as for it being a show about clarkson hammond and may not cars, well yes but there are still alot of cars that they drive that they dont like at all and anyway if it was all about things like VWs and toyotas then it wouldnt be very interesting to watch would it? :)

i can't stop thinking whether the GTR and XKR-S are really competitors, they both are engineered completely differently with completely different specifications. it just sounds like they had to fill in a track test so they just got a couple of random cars.

This is shaping up to be one hell of a good series. Might even be in the tops, depending on how good the latter half is.

Hope you're all saying this after the episode because according to Andy Wilman when I spoke to him today this is the episode in which 'they lose the plot and Final Gear will hate it' :lol: :lol:

I have come to realise that the episodes that the majority of people on this forum 'hate' are the ones that I love most ;)

I'm of the opinion that I don't mind if they have one episode in a series where it gets a bit goofy, if at least some of the 'car show' bases are covered.

If they want to 'cock about', they should have a good car review segment and a good guest, and then all right, 'cock about' for the 'main' segment(s).

We'll have to see how they did with this one. The series has been fantastic so far, so I'm hoping that it continues nicely.

Very excited to see the guy who rear ended a Metro with his McLaren F1 :lol:

I'm of the opinion that I don't mind if they have one episode in a series where it gets a bit goofy, if at least some of the 'car show' bases are covered.

If they want to 'cock about', they should have a good car review segment and a good guest, and then all right, 'cock about' for the 'main' segment(s).

We'll have to see how they did with this one. The series has been fantastic so far, so I'm hoping that it continues nicely.

Very excited to see the guy who rear ended a Metro with his McLaren F1 :lol:

I'd forgotten about that last bit. I do hope Jeremy gets the chance to bring that up. Gutted he wasn't on the previous week as I would have loved to see the whole interview in person before most of it ends up on the cutting room floor.

Do laptimes get leaked at all or are they run LIVE on sunday?
wondering if the gt-r laptime got leaked if so.

also who has predictions for the R35 GT-R on this ep?
im guessing no faster than 1:19.0 (but my hear says it could be faster with the right driver). I know the extra hp and differnt settings will definatly put it much faster but how much is unknown until sunday.

Will they use its launch control in the lap? 3 sec to 60 is very fast!

is the new stig Tiff still or did they replace him? (any threads to the new stigs identiy)?

I have come to realise that the episodes that the majority of people on this forum 'hate' are the ones that I love most ;)

Same here. I always thought that if you wanted to watch a pure car show, you watch Fifth Gear. If you want to watch a funny/overboard car show, watch Top Gear. Who else is going to turn a campervan into a boat or make an electric car out of bits from a shed?

Do laptimes get leaked at all or are they run LIVE on sunday?
wondering if the gt-r laptime got leaked if so.

also who has predictions for the R35 GT-R on this ep?
im guessing no faster than 1:19.0 (but my hear says it could be faster with the right driver). I know the extra hp and differnt settings will definatly put it much faster but how much is unknown until sunday.

Will they use its launch control in the lap? 3 sec to 60 is very fast!

is the new stig Tiff still or did they replace him? (any threads to the new stigs identiy)?

Stig doesn't use launch control ever, and Tiff is not listed as "Emergency Stig" anymore, so I presume he's departed.

I'm thinking high 1:18s for the R35 "Remix". The original, non-SpecV car did it in 1:19.7, the SpecV is probably a few tenths faster, and I'd think this will be a few tenths faster than that.

Laptimes are prerecorded, I believe.

On the note of the episode:
I'm excited just to see Rowan Atkinson. That is epicness.

Last edited:
To be honest I have no problem with that strategy, seems sensible to me.

I also have to wonder if the guy putting back up the "Top Gear Production Office" sign in the background is an easter egg or just happened to occur.

Also 2k posts!

Last edited:
Same here. I always thought that if you wanted to watch a pure car show, you watch Fifth Gear. If you want to watch a funny/overboard car show, watch Top Gear. Who else is going to turn a campervan into a boat or make an electric car out of bits from a shed?

So basically, watch Top Gear if you like everything apart from cars then? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.