Best Car Museums in the World

csm

Just wondering what the best motor/car museums are. I've looked at different web-sites and all say different places - Autostadt, Porsche, Petersens etc. Anyone been to any - what's your view....

Mercedes Benz's is a sight to behold.
200px-MercedesMuseumStuttgart.JPG

Last edited:
Museum Sinsheim and Technik Museum Speyer are probably the best were I have been to. Also in the same Bayer area BMW museum was good.

The Ferrari museum in Modena is pretty awesome.

Last edited:
The Auburn Cord museum in Auburn Indianna is great. I spent a full day there and went back for part of the next and still felt like spending more time there. I have wanted to go back for some time. It is in the old administration building of the Auburn Manufacturing Co..

The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum, a National Historic Landmark, has welcomed nearly two million visitors from all 50 states and from over 40 countries since the museum opened its doors at Noon on Saturday, July 6, 1974. It inhabits the former Auburn Automobile Company?s national headquarters building, a place where history was made over 75 years ago! Many of the Auburn and Cord automobiles you see driving around Auburn each Labor Day weekend were designed and developed in this very building.

MSNBC News named the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum one of the ?Top Ten Gearhead Destinations in the United States.? It is easy for visitors to see why the museum has received such high national praise. This automotive mecca exhibits over 120 cars ranging from 1894 to 1999 and automotive displays on three floors. The museum has the greatest and most extensive collection of Auburn, Cord, and Duesenberg automobiles in the world, and features the largest exhibit of Duesenberg automobiles on public display in the world! This is a destination that you and your family can not miss!

Experience the passion as you step back through time to the golden era of automobiles. Walk the same hallways as the automotive giants of yesterday. Touring the museum will give you an impression of what a day at Auburn Automobile Company must have been like in the 1930s.

And local to me is the Sloan museum that has a Buick gallery dedicated to Buicks and other locally (Flint Michigan) built vehicles.

I also like the Henry Ford that was mentioned earlier.

The Ferrari museum in Modena is pretty awesome.

Been there, it's cool, but I don't think it's anywhere near the best in the world. Way too small for starters.

Me again, it just occurred to me that I never checked whether you thought any of these places were suitable for children or whether they are only for car enthusiasts? Thanks

For something completely different, the Floyd Garrett Muscle Car Museum in Pigeon Forge, TN has a pretty nice assortment of American muscle cars from the 1960's, '70's and even some more recent selections. It's obviously nothing compared to some of the ones previously posted, but for those who live in the area it would be a good place to visit. Some of his collection includes half a million dollar low-production cars like the 1969 Camaro ZL1 and the actual Dodge Challenger used in "Vanishing Point."

Depends what you want to see. Mercedes Benz and Porsche Museum in Stuttgart/Germany are really cool if you want to know about the history of these Brands and the development of Automobiles in General. Well these are very brand specific.

Technik Museum Speyer/Sinsheim like already posted isn't focused on cars so much. There are also planes and submarines etc...

Last edited:
Blackhawk Auto Museum is pretty nice. Its in Danville, CA

I must have spent a solid ten minutes drooling on the floor in front of their 540K special roadster when I went there. Although I think they rotate their displays with collectors/other museums, so that might not be there anymore.

goodwood festival of speed, only lasts a weekend, but what a museum!! :p

While the Larz Anderson Auto Museum may not be the greatest, they have great lawn events every Sunday over the summer, with hundreds of cars showing up every weekend. They have events like German car day, Italian car day, Swedish car day, Miata day, Extinct car day, etc.