The Ultimate macOS Thread

My first post from Lion. So far I have to say I'm enjoying the new features, especially the redesigned mail app, launchpad is fun and launch control is great, because I didn't like how it worked in Snow Leopard, it was better in the previous one (Leopard was it?). Also the resume state of apps is great, I finally don't have to wait ages for dashboard to wake up to see the bloody calendar.

That being said, I'm so far weirded out by the natural scrolling. I had to turn it off right away, because it felt exactly like a inverted Y axis in an FPS. But later scrolling from left to right felt unnatural, especially in launchpad. So, I turned the natural scrolling back on and will see if I get used to it.

I'm not really impressed with 10.7 so far, there seem to be no useful changes for me personally, apart from AirDrop. Its just mostly quirky UI updates to attract to the iOS users, eventhough I'm not sure whats so iOS-y about the whole deal apart from the Launchpad interface.

At least educational institutions and businesses can opt for the plastic one. We have a few deployed on campus and the unibody plastic ones are just as nicely finished as the aluminum ones.

The plastic one is a favorite among college/high school kids, among others. The college kids in particular aren't going to like the fact that the MBA that replaces it doesn't have a optical drive. Many courses will use a DVD from the textbook, or you might have to watch a movie on your own time or something. Sure there's external optical drives, but who want's to juggle that thing around if you need to use said DVD in class? Furthermore, while there's netflix streaming and shit, watching DVD's is still pretty popular among college kids. Torrenting movies is a pain in the ass on most campus' due to network congestion and packet shaping measures put in place to prevent the college from being liable: I couldn't get a solid two-way direction for my FG torrent's my first week of freshman year so I didn't even bother after that.

I have never seen a standard macbook on campus, yet I see hundreds of macbook pros.

Same here, basically no MacBooks, it's all been Pros and Airs.

Besides the lack of optical drive, I can completely understand why they did away with the MacBook. It was overlapping quite a lot. I'm quite impressed (and depressed) that the new Sandy bridge Airs are matching a late 2010 i7 MacBook pro.. Depressing since I'm sitting with a i5 late 2010 pro.. :p

Regarding natural scrolling, I can use both, I'm doing the old way right now, but I may switch over to natural at some point. I was disappointed to see that switching to the three-finger "Back" gesture removes the nice animation in Safari, so I'm doing the two-finger thing, works just as well if you ask me :p
For me it's just a matter of getting used to it all, everything is at first.

Yeah the regular macbooks were what, 100$ cheaper than the pros? If you are shelling out a grand for a laptop you might as well toss in the extra 100 when it will probably give you a little more time before sitting there seething over the next gen laptops making your still shiny and new one suddenly obsolete.

Gray scrollbars are boring!
Yes, but the colorful red/green/yellow/blue that does not have any customizableness clashes with everything. I wish you could set them all one color with a drop down like you can with the highlight text.

Last edited:
Yeah the regular macbooks were what, 100$ cheaper than the pros? If you are shelling out a grand for a laptop you might as well toss in the extra 100 when it will probably give you a little more time before sitting there seething over the next gen laptops making your still shiny and new one suddenly obsolete.

Yes, but the colorful red/green/yellow/blue that does not have any customizableness clashes with everything. I wish you could set them all one color with a drop down like you can with the highlight text.

Changing the appearance to graphite helps a bit.

Wait, I'm reading about this natural scrolling, and it seems that people (or at least journalists) think that moving a scrollwheel down causes the page to move up. That is not how mine works. I also just tried my ancient Dell's trackpad. Move finger down, web page moves down. WTF? Am I backwards? Or just confused about natural scrolling?

Yeah, basically you push up to scroll down with natural scrolling, like if you were pushing the page with your finger.

Well a day later with Lion, its running very fast. iTunes loaded in almost no time. That alone is worth $30.

Battery life seems awful. I think I'm going back to Snow Leopard.

I'm getting the opposite. To me it seems slightly improved. It matches Snow Leopard, in the very least.

Last edited:
I have an '06 Placbook, do fancy an air.

If I do well in school this summer, I'm getting myself a new 13" Air as a reward for not having a vacation.

MOTIVATION.

Well there is a fail... Aparently Lion uses a newer version of nettalk, which is something that a number of NAS's doesn't seem to support (my own included), SMB still works fine so I'm using that, but people who use their NAS's for Time Machine are kinda boned (I just use a USB drive plugged into the Airport for backups and NAS for other stuff).

What?!

ScreenShot2011-07-21at81259PM.png

All I did was click on the Foo Fighters. That they're unavailable in the US is news to me.

edit: Actually, apart from this minor hiccup, iTunes is running much, much faster now with Lion and 10.4. I'll sacrifice the Foo Fighters for better performance :lol:

Last edited: