The Ultimate macOS Thread

It looks like Time Machine no longer works over SMB now. Thanks Apple.
It never did, at least not officially.
My ISP doesn't support imap?
Dump em or get a Gmail account :)
4days + to download lion.

Fuck. This. Shit.
Jebus! And I think my inet is slow when it drops below 25mbps.... Are there are Apple stores near you somewhere? They aparently allow you to bring your machine there to download.
iTunes is considerably faster than in Snow Leopard, it really does benefit from being a 64bit app now.
Haven't really noticed, but also I just open it up once and never close :)
AirDrop seems like a great feature, too bad I have none to try out it with..
Same boat, will be upgrading the boss lady's machine today so *fingers crossed*
Yeah I has serious issues with SL when I bought it immediately. I had to downgrade and reupgrade later, it was a big hassle.
No issues so far, but then again your luck with technology is beyond infamous. One thing I think Lion benefited from is that they had the chance to fix quite a few "last minute" bugs since they didn't have to press disks and considering the rumormill it looks like it was pushed back by about a week or so.

Last edited:
Or it was late because issues *paranoid*

Or it was late because issues *paranoid*
Well yeah that's kinda what I was saying, they had some issues so they delayed it a bit. They been working on it for a long time I kinda wonder what was changed under the hood. Seems like there would be quite a bit considering the amount of time it took.

I have decided to do a completely fresh install of OSX, however I'm having trouble on backing up my iPhoto library. Mostly because I have no idea where the photos are stored?

My money would be library>user>iphoto/library>user>programfiles>iphoto or something. That is generally where they throw any sort of file for osx programs.

Well, the build number is the same as the GM so I don't think they've changed anything, I'm guessing they just delayed because the MacBook Airs or Mac Minis weren't ready.

Oh and the iPhoto Library is just one big file in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library , just copy that and you're done :)

If you are missing the "natural" reverse scroll on Snow Leopard, just install Scroll Reverser, that'll take care of it :-9

Why do I feel like I'm the only one here who is going to install that? :-D

got spotify last friday and i'm just getting in to it as a music client. i've been running my itunes library through it which has been pretty good. very clean and bugless interface which is a major plus.

I just downloaded Spotify, its great! Its collection of music is unbelievable. I love it.

I have decided to do a completely fresh install of OSX, however I'm having trouble on backing up my iPhoto library. Mostly because I have no idea where the photos are stored?
I would suggest a Time Machine back up and then do a restore of your settings and software. Much easier.

I'd back up your entire home directory.

I'd back up your entire home directory.
I would suggest a Time Machine back up and then do a restore of your settings and software. Much easier.
Done and done.

I'm guessing that clean install was long overdue, my macbook feels a lot speedier now. Was still running the original installation from when I bought it late 2008. Reinstalling Lion gave me a bit of a headache over WiFi though, it would keep timing out (eventhough my WiFi never times out normally) during the download of Lion. Was easily solved by hooking it up with an ethernet cable though.

Done and done.

I'm guessing that clean install was long overdue, my macbook feels a lot speedier now. Was still running the original installation from when I bought it late 2008. Reinstalling Lion gave me a bit of a headache over WiFi though, it would keep timing out (eventhough my WiFi never times out normally) during the download of Lion. Was easily solved by hooking it up with an ethernet cable though.
Cool congrats :)

I'm quite happy with my upgrade. Haven't stumbled upon any problems, and it seems (though I have no empirical proof of this :p) that it is running cooler, and longer on a battery. And faster for that sake :)

Dump em or get a Gmail account :)

The problem is that 10 years of my life is embedded with my email address so I's a major PITA to switch from it completely.

The problem is that 10 years of my life is embedded with my email address so I's a major PITA to switch from it completely.

thats the reason why I have a hotmail address and a AOL address. :p

Buy a domain name then configure it to use gmail or some other services. That way you can switch e-mail providers and keep the same e-mail address.

Jebus! And I think my inet is slow when it drops below 25mbps.... Are there are Apple stores near you somewhere? They aparently allow you to bring your machine there to download.

Heading overseas next week, so I'll see if I can get someone to make me a bootable dvd. Just no time to head to the Apple store :(

I'm on 10.6.7 atm - Should I software update before upgrading to Lion or can I just install lion then worry about the updates?

Heading overseas next week, so I'll see if I can get someone to make me a bootable dvd. Just no time to head to the Apple store :(

I'm on 10.6.7 atm - Should I software update before upgrading to Lion or can I just install lion then worry about the updates?

Apple released compatibility updates for several apps. I'd install those via Software Update before upgrading.

Apple released compatibility updates for several apps. I'd install those via Software Update before upgrading.
This and there is also some sort of a migration assistant that supposedly helps, IDK...

So upgraded my fiancee's computer... Slow as balls, going to do a fresh install of Lion over the weekend.