[17x05] July 24th, 2011

[17x05] July 24th, 2011

• Total voters
Top Gear bros crashing tanks into buildings?

backpain-1292835351.jpg

8/10! :mrgreen:

7/10. Interceptor piece was cute, news was ok, Lotus piece was interesting to be sure, guest must be someone you'd only hear of in the UK, and not interesting at all. The demolition piece was funny once the military machines were involved. The whole scene in Albania felt tacked on and unnecessary. Also, this show was all Jeremy, every segment. There needs to be some balance. Finally, when Mr. Wilman and the Jez make their preview video for next week's show, try to remember that people in Minnesota aren't the only ones that watch Top Gear in the US. We watch it in Wisconsin as well! Relevant? No, I just want to hear Jeremy say Wisconsin.

Giving it a 9, 90%, A-

I have to admit, I'm not grading this fairly. Even though I've deleted the idea from the suggestions thread, I had very badly wanted to see old military equipment used on the show. I also found the Jensen review to be very entertaining. The Lotus T125 review was good.

Edit: I'm extremely hopeful that the very brief clip of the Cristo Redentor statue was hinting at things to come.

Last edited:
...guest must be someone you'd only hear of in the UK, and not interesting at all.

Let me guess, you blew off Live Aid because you were busy at the time dealing with rampaging teenage hormones?

Finally, when Mr. Wilman and the Jez make their preview video for next week's show, try to remember that people in Minnesota aren't the only ones that watch Top Gear in the US. We watch it in Wisconsin as well! Relevant? No, I just want to hear Jeremy say Wisconsin.

Wisconsin: We May Be 42.6% German, but We Can Pronounce "Squirrel!" Even After Twenty MGDs!

*is hoping someone at the show sees this*

Well, it was *much* better than last week.

Y'know, this is the first ep I can recall (outside of a Special) that no power lap times were set. Pity they didn't try to put the Interceptor round.
News? Kinda blah, but I wonder what Jeremy & Andy will say now that they know that a FINAL GEAR person will always be around to administer . . . "correction." ;)
SIARPC: Record producer, Live Aid, we're talking Steve Jobs class here, so-so guest, so let's move on.
Demolition: Jeremy "Ax," Richard "Smash," and James "Crush." I think the reason it went so much better was because the ending was less scripted -- I mean, everyone knows they weren't going to beat the pros, that it would be "ambitious but rubbish," but the sense of having fun like a child was there, both in the exploration of the milspec compound and in the demolition that followed. That sense of fun was what was missing from last week's show.
Overall? I'll give it an 8.

I don't think I like this episode as much as I should. I'll have to watch it again. Like now.

I honestly thought the demolition bit was pretty funny. However, the "petrol-head" part of the show was, IMO, not great at all. I liked the Interceptor film, but the detective thing felt like it was just something to add so they would have an, ahem, 59-minute program. ;) Also, i found it hard to stay awake in the Lotus film, cause i felt it should have been more interesting than it was. Apart from that, it was ok. SIARPC kinda bored me also.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MWF again."
Murrrrfocka!
That was epic! :lol::lmao:

I'm extremely hopeful that the very brief clip of the Cristo Redentor statue was hinting at things to come.

Oh, God, yes... That'd totally make my year... Hell, would probably make my next 5 years!

Y'know, this is the first ep I can recall (outside of a Special) that no power lap times were set. Pity they didn't try to put the Interceptor round.

Well, if you don't count their third America road-trip (with the Stig shooting), then yes, this'd be a first. But I do hope they'll show a lap time of that Lotus on next week's show.

Last edited:
Got some very funny looks tonight by jumping up, pointing at the tv and yelling 'Mine Works Fine!'

I just keep having visions of someone in thier living room watching TG and jumping up and down yelling "Mine works fine!!!" since i read your post...thanx... ;)

I can't say I enjoyed this one very much. The Interceptors thing wasn't too bad, but it felt cut off. Clarkson drove the car a little bit and the rest of the segment was the spoof, which also wasn't bad. Was that Andy Wilman with the eye patch?! Haha. But the segment as a whole didn't feel very substantial for some reason. The news was forgettable, the only part I can remember was Matt looking goofy. :p The formula 1 car thing segment was a bit more interesting, but I felt like we've there before. Hammond drove an F1 car and Jezza has driven some extreme cars before, like that thing that caught fire and burned Jason Plato a couple years back. The segment just didn't interest me very much. The SIARPC segment was extremely boring. And then there was the main segment with the demolition challenge. The Albania portion was boring and pointless. The military surplus yard was awesome though. I wish I was rich, I want a tank and a Land Rover! But the actual destruction was a bit boring as well. I got a few laughs, like when James caused the one house to collapse onto Hammonds tank. But for the most part it wasn't very entertaining for me.

6/10

Like gaasc, my first thought was, "Matt (MWF) needs a new usertitle." ;)

Anyhoo, I loved it except for Geldoff; I thought he was a bit bland.

I've always wanted to crash into a building like that, Top Gear made my dream come true. :D

The news was funny, especially with MWF correcting JC.

The best part was at the end when Jeremy says "What are they going to do? Cu-" end of show. :D

However, points of for using the GM small block. I'm tired of that engine being stuck in cars it doesn't belong in.

Last edited: