Hammond: Richard to host new tv show for BBC America

The Mouse

This showed up on Variety today
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040344?refCatId=19
With a rising profile among viewers and advertisers, BBC America has begun creating content specifically for U.S. audiences: The network has greenlit two new series all its own and has five more in development.

The Beeb's Stateside sister net has bought six hourlong episodes of "Hard Drive With Richard Hammond," based on the BBC's "World's Toughest Driving Tests" and starring "Top Gear" host Hammond, as well as 13 half-hours of "Would You Rather With Graham Norton," a gameshow shot in New York that pits comedians against each other. Both are working titles.

"Hard Drive" is produced by BBC Worldwide. ..

It also appears they are developing James May's Man Lab, for BBC America, but it's unclear if James is going to front this as well.

Richard hammond shows are always a bit slow for me.

I would much rather have Clarkson producing documentaries, instead. His military history documentaries have been amongst the best TV I've ever watched.

Jeremy comes across as having a genuine passion in engineering and all things automotive, whereas Hammond just comes across as a presenter wanting his paycheck :/

Hammond to host another show where he does that childish voice, which is aimed at his entire audience that watches his shows.

So let's get this straight - you cite a Steve Coogan comedy send up as a source for that? aah well, to each his own.

I would much rather have Clarkson producing documentaries, instead. His military history documentaries have been amongst the best TV I've ever watched.

Jeremy comes across as having a genuine passion in engineering and all things automotive, whereas Hammond just comes across as a presenter wanting his paycheck :/

Have to agree with this. More documentaries please Jeremy, it is what he does best imo. The St Nazaire raid was an epic piece of TV although I've enjoyed all the docs he has done

Richard's latest show is pretty epic - [h=1]Richard Hammond's Journey to the centre of the earth[/h]

If you can get to see it - recommended.

I agree with Cobol. I mentioned in the other section that if you enjoyed Invisible Worlds, you would more than likely enjoy Journey to the Centre of the Planet. As for Hard Drive, how about let's shut the hell up about what it'll be like until we see it for ourselves.

Meanwhile, I think most of us would like to see Jeremy making documentaries again, but given it's been four years since the last one he did, and his main focus these days has been everything connected to TG as well as his annual Christmas DVDs, I seriously doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

Likewise, I'd love to see anything made by James or Jeremy because I know it'll be an interesting subject brought in an amazing way. I saw one of Jeremy's a while back about him trying to figure out his family history, normally something like that would bore me to death but he made it a very interesting program.

When I think of Richard's shows the terms "childish", "lacking depth" and "not genuine" come to mind.

. ...
When I think of Richard's shows the terms "childish", "lacking depth" and "not genuine" come to mind.

You can only do what you are offered, so far I'd agree he has done more lightweight shows than James or Jeremy. I think that Producers want to exploit his sense of humour. His current science show is trying to put science over with entertaining comments and with outstanding special effects - the last one was best so far IMHO.

Man Lab isn't lightweight? Or even Toy Stories? And Invisible Worlds, Engineering Connections, or Hammond Meets Moss are "childish"/"lacking depth"/"not genuine"?

:wall: :bangin: :idiot:

Not only do James and Jeremy produce better documentaries, but their newspapers columns and books are are a genuine pleasure to read. If only the same could be said for Hammond. I bought Richard Hammond's "On the Edge" only to read 20 pages and then discard it.

I really don't understand why the BBC throws so much air-time at Hammond. Clarkson is the real glue that holds the entire Top Gear project together.

To each his own, as they say. I've read "On the Edge" a few times now, and I've enjoyed "As You Do" and "Or is that Just Me?" as well. I've also enjoyed "Car Fever" by James...haven't read anything by Jeremy, though.

I really don't understand why the BBC throws so much air-time at Hammond.

Richard can appeal to more demographics than Jeremy, not to mention the latter is, IMO, a bit like Marmite.

not to mention the latter is, IMO, a bit like Marmite.

To be honest, so's Hammond, and he tends to be rentapresenter.

Whatever you think of James's projects, they are his own original ideas. As for Clarkson, he can't really be arsed to do anything else these days.

To each his own, as they say. I've read "On the Edge" a few times now, and I've enjoyed "As You Do" and "Or is that Just Me?" as well. I've also enjoyed "Car Fever" by James...haven't read anything by Jeremy, though.

You probably have. Jeremy publishes very little that isn't a reissue of his newspaper columns, (I can only think of 'I know you've got Soul' which is excellent),mostly the same can be said of James. At least Richard's books are written to be books. I admit that the quality of his writing is variable but all three books are highly enjoyable (although 'enjoyable' maybe not the best word to describe 'On The Edge' as its subject matter is not a laughing matter)

Man Lab isn't lightweight? Or even Toy Stories? And Invisible Worlds, Engineering Connections, or Hammond Meets Moss are "childish"/"lacking depth"/"not genuine"?

:wall: :bangin: :idiot:

Man lab is the odd one out, but toy stories doesn't at all lack depth and certainly doesn't feel like it's not genuine. The fact that it's about toys from old doesn't mean it should automatically be discarded as silly and that you can't approach it with genuine interest. The whole point of that show is to show a different angle on stuff like that.

James and Jeremy could make documentary on matchboxes or something similarly silly they might feel connected to, and it would work. Hammond could cover the moon landing and it'd still feel fake and ridiculous, to me he just can't pull it off. To me James and Jeremy have a strong opinion on stuff and they say and state things because that's how they feel about them. To me, Hammond says things because it's been asked of him and it's in his best interest. Subjective, but perception is reality. To each their own ofcourse.

Last edited:
You probably have. Jeremy publishes very little that isn't a reissue of his newspaper columns, (I can only think of 'I know you've got Soul' which is excellent),mostly the same can be said of James. At least Richard's books are written to be books. I admit that the quality of his writing is variable but all three books are highly enjoyable (although 'enjoyable' maybe not the best word to describe 'On The Edge' as its subject matter is not a laughing matter)

Fair enough...I haven't purchased any of Jeremy's books, how's that? ;) And, yeah, the subject of "On The Edge" is definitely not a laughing matter, but it was still an enjoyable read. One of the reasons I've enjoyed Richard's books is because I love 'behind the scenes' stories.

And now that we've totally hijacked this topic..... :lol: