the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

So I got a new job a bit over a month ago (yay!) and now listen to music a fair percentage of the day...Which made me notice my trusty Sennheiser in-ear's were breaking.
So I decided to have a look for some new cans. Liked the look of the Bowers and Wilkins' P5, also liked the look of the Sennheiser HD 598s. So had a look around and found a shop that stocked the B&W's, went in today and had a listen.
I cannot fathom how Bowers and Wilkins can charge that much for shit. I tried a pair of HD 558s (Which I ended up buying, but more on that soon) and could not believe the difference in sound quality for (almost) half the price.
B&W were 450AUD and the HD 558's were 285AUD (598's were around the B&W price for those wondering)
Now, B&W might like to say they're "dynamic" but that just means they're all mids and bass; treble sounds horrible (read: non-existant). I honestly would prefer a pair of Bose headphones.

Anyway, on to the good stuff...
Sales guy reckoned there wasn't much point in going to the 598 unless I bought a headphone amp and DAC, which added up to the amount of the 598's anyway...so I may look at them another time.
Sitting here listening to a myriad of music and am blown away by how these things handle it all.
I did like the idea of a pair of BD's but I have a feeling I'd want a headphone amp and DAC for that too.

While I was at the shop I saw a couple of speakers they had set up.
Heard a pair electrostatic's playing a symphony. Lovely.
There was also a pair of $40,000 speakers there.
I now have a wishlist and am going to be broke sometime soon :lol:

So, I need some advice:
My iphone headset is broken and I need a new one. I had the Sennheiser mm50, but actually I doubt I need the headset part, I probably used the mic like 5 times. 95% of the time I listen to electronic music. And I want them to be in ear... I'd be willing to spend up to 100?, a little more if the performance jump is really big...

Also, I DJ every now and then in Lounges and Bars and I was thinking of dedicated Headphones for the Job... Any suggestions for that as well?

Klipsch S4is

Those look good and can be had for 52? incl shipping... Thx!

Last edited:
More than a year on and the UE18s are still putting a smile on my face everytime I pop them on, especially when this track is playing:

[video=youtube;5X-6_0YqgeI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X-6_0YqgeI[/video]

The standard 48" cable is way too short IMO, so I finally picked up a 64" cable. Really want to move into home audio more, but I just have no space to put a half-decent setup :lol:

Last edited:
My ultracube is being dropped off to the service agent tomorrow - it's a bit over kill in my bedroom anyways (all the walls are double brick and it still vibrates stuff on the other side)

I just got one of these :mrgreen:

Now all I need is a decent driver, and start annoying neighbours. :)

I just got one of these :mrgreen:

Now all I need is a decent driver, and start annoying neighbours. :)

you don't need 500W to annoy the neighbours... i have a 100W subamp in my woofer and that's plenty.
actually it's way too much even for my driver, which is already quite large.
anyway, good job, now go annoy those neighbours!

you don't need 500W to annoy the neighbours... i have a 100W subamp in my woofer and that's plenty.
actually it's way too much even for my driver, which is already quite large.
anyway, good job, now go annoy those neighbours!

Car(s)
'03 Smart Convertible (CDI)

..just sayin...

:D:D

But yes, I don't really need that much, altough the neighbours live quite far. It's just that this comes with all these features (like that EQ), which are often missing from smaller amps. I don't probably ever need those, but still.
I was thinking something like Peerless XXLS-12 with it. 120L, vented, tuning around 20 Hz.

Last edited:
sounds like a great idea that :thumbsup: post some pictures will you?
i'm quite happy with my tangband W8Q in 45L - already enough to get below 30Hz. ... quite a lot cheaper as well :p

well my ultracube is back and kicking ass once more - reminding me why I loved it so much in the first place. Turns out there was a minor bit of separation between the radiator and membrane (enough to make it sound like ass) reseated and it sounds perfect

i need help!

looking for a little DAC + headphone amp to use with the laptop at work, preferrably in one package. i'm not actually looking for terribly expensive stuff, but i'd like to have something very decent.
already thought about getting the Fubar 4 by Firestone Audio, but only because i can't seem to find anything similar in that sort of price-range.
so everybody, any thoughts?

edit: Fubar 4 plus intrigues me, can someone justify that ?100 mark-up for me?

edit2: another, way cheaper option seems to be the Aune Mini USB DAC. as long as the power adapter is changed, that should work like a charm.

Last edited:
yeah the fubar4+ is a tiny bit pricy for my taste, but i'm still thinking about it. if i got that, i would even use it at home with my PC and get rid of my soundcard... which i would suspect to be inferior by far in terms of DAC capabilities.

another alternative i found: Audinst HUD MX1

yeah the fubar4+ is a tiny bit pricy for my taste, but i'm still thinking about it. if i got that, i would even use it at home with my PC and get rid of my soundcard... which i would suspect to be inferior by far in terms of DAC capabilities.

Yea, I have this: http://www.thomann.de/fi/miditech_audioface_ii.htm
Even that has way better sound that the integrated sound card. Probably mainly because it's outside the case away from any interference.
I don't know how it compares to PCI(e) cards.

Yea, I have this: http://www.thomann.de/fi/miditech_audioface_ii.htm
Even that has way better sound that the integrated sound card. Probably mainly because it's outside the case away from any interference.
I don't know how it compares to PCI(e) cards.

judging from price alone all the USB DACs should kick that PCIe thing i have to the moon. especially since it's one of those damn 7.1 thingies... (honestly, what was i thinking!? :mad:)

what i think to be very nice about the fubar is the possibility to add other little things such as those power supplies (which actually seem to make a difference according to some tests i read). pre-amp amp and that tiny hifi-rack :)clarkson: CUUUUUUUUUTE!) also add to the appeal, in terms of being future-proof and what not. it should also prevent me from feeling like i'd purchased something inferior, which happens rather quickly with me.

... yeah, as soon as someone tells me "go do it" i'll be ready to buy that damn thing! :p

... yeah, as soon as someone tells me "go do it" i'll be ready to buy that damn thing! :p

alright, i told me myself :p
P1010540.jpg

Lovely unit, one problem the sound quality coming out of it is naff, tape/phono in/FM radio , not the speakers either. Really crackley and nasty. What could be wrong?

at that kind of price, i would nearly have expected something like this. sadly, i don't have a clue what it could be coming from...

Reactions: h-p
Lovely unit, one problem the sound quality coming out of it is naff, tape/phono in/FM radio , not the speakers either. Really crackley and nasty. What could be wrong?

Corroded solderings or dried capacitors would be my first guess.

alright, i told me myself :p
P1010540.jpg

:thumbsup:

How do you like the Sennheisers? I'm considering a pair to replace my old Sonys.
I also have HD215's and I really like them.

:thumbsup:

How do you like the Sennheisers? I'm considering a pair to replace my old Sonys.
I also have HD215's and I really like them.

i'll quote from new toys:
despite the price I am still positively surprised by what they're capable of :dance:
also, they're extremely comfortable... been wearing them for 3 hours straight and for most of the time completely forgot i had something over my ears.