The Ultimate macOS Thread

Which is fine for one email address, but when you need a couple and honestly though gmail's sorting options are way better than when I switched off web based for them, it is still not nearly as good as mail's are.
Ludite! :)

Also Gmail has a feature where it can access other e-mail accounts using POP3 protocol. Just sayin :)

I actually set up Mail for the first time once I got Lion wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

Last edited:
I actually AM pop forwarding already. The issue is gmail does not work with all 35ish of my rules. I say 35ISH as gmail makes you do everything separately and apple lets me add a bunch of options for things. ex: I want something moved and marked as read I need to do 2 things on gmail and one on apple. Attempting to duplicate most, not all of my rules in gmail left me with like 50 rules and it took me like an hour to make them all. I don't think it let me mark things with me as the author as read either as an option which is annoying as the EM group always bounces those back.

I actually AM pop forwarding already. The issue is gmail does not work with all 35ish of my rules. I say 35ISH as gmail makes you do everything separately and apple lets me add a bunch of options for things. ex: I want something moved and marked as read I need to do 2 things on gmail and one on apple. Attempting to duplicate most, not all of my rules in gmail left me with like 50 rules and it took me like an hour to make them all. I don't think it let me mark things with me as the author as read either as an option which is annoying as the EM group always bounces those back.
I absolutely HATE the way Apple does rules in Mail, why do I have to go to menu for that shit? Outlook has that part right, right click on the message and select rules it will have some stuff filled in already just change a little and off you go.

Gmail is worse because every time you make a change it like sends you back to the beginning again so if you want to do new filters it is absurdly tedious.

I have a question - if i get a bootable lion dvd from a friend will it still install fine even though we have different accounts?

So does anyone know the answer to this....

As far as I know there is no copyright protection on this.
Apple works on the honor system it won't make any difference. I logged in with my account on my fiancee's computer and grabbed Lion for her, nothing changed insofar that she still has her own account in App Store and so on.

Indeed osx doesn't really have a activation scheme like windows.

Good to hear. Its not like i cant afford $30, but rather the download time that really shits me.

Even the sl updates are going to take 12hrs of downloading....

After some upgraded RAM arrived in the post this morning for my MacBook (it is now rocking 2GB of the stuff), I'm using it to test Lion. I have to say that I am still on the fence about it, there are some things which I do quite like and other bits which just do not work at all.

Reversed scrolling just does not work at all on a laptop, the only reason why it works on a touch screen is because you think you are actually touching the content itself. On my MacBook it just seems cumbersome. Also taking away expos? and spaces, replacing them with mission control is another stupid move, it makes what used to be a useful feature and make them useless. In Snow Leopard, I had assigned different applications to different spaces, now, I have to keep moving them manually. Also, I, by nature, close all applications properly when turning off my computer so why would I want it to memories what was open and how it was open.

Apart from the Spaces/Expos? annoyances, I have managed to set it up almost the same way I have it in Snow Leopard on my iMac. I turned off most of the 'features' and it does make sense as a small upgrade but I'm still not sure if I'm willing to take the plunge completely and install it on my iMac as it has taken me a while to get that exactly the way I want it. The new style buttons and various other UI tweaks and such give it a classier feel and appearance but the relative slowdown on my MacBook, despite being upgraded with more RAM this morning, over Snow Leopard (which was nipping along almost as quickly as Tiger) are annoying and making me think it isn't quite worth upgrading, I don't even think my mum or dad would want me to install it on their iMac because some of it is not as good as it was.

Reversed scrolling just does not work at all on a laptop, the only reason why it works on a touch screen is because you think you are actually touching the content itself. On my MacBook it just seems cumbersome. Also taking away expos? and spaces, replacing them with mission control is another stupid move, it makes what used to be a useful feature and make them useless. In Snow Leopard, I had assigned different applications to different spaces, now, I have to keep moving them manually. Also, I, by nature, close all applications properly when turning off my computer so why would I want it to memories what was open and how it was open.
Wait, wait, no more expose? D:
You can't be serious.

Wait, wait, no more expose? D:
You can't be serious.

Expose and Spaces are 'integrated' into Mission Control. I don't think it works as well because I liked having each separate and if I had to, I would use expose in spaces, but because I never have that many windows open at one time, it isn't as good for me. All the reviews think it is decent though.

Expose and Spaces are 'integrated' into Mission Control. I don't think it works as well because I liked having each separate and if I had to, I would use expose in spaces, but because I never have that many windows open at one time, it isn't as good for me. All the reviews think it is decent though.
I don't see a whole lot of difference tbh but I always thought spaces sucked in OS X because they were always better in Gnome/KDE.

Waited for the Air, bought a MBP instead.

Waiting for the new iMac, will probably still buy the mini instead.

Waited for the Air, bought a MBP instead.

Waiting for the new iMac, will probably still buy the mini instead.
Lol. I think MBP will last longer from the standpoint of it being noticeably more powerful than the Air so less reason to upgrade.