Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I can get cars from Nevada for $99 extra if I shop through CarMax. But it's been my understanding that most newer cars are 50 state legal, meaning there's no difference in smog equipment or power levels.

Many are, but higher performance ones are not necessarily. Mustangs, for example, are still 49 state cars, with a different CA version. The cats and ECU are different.

Last edited:
My car, originally purchased in Connecticut, has the "California Emissions Package." Not sure if this is just on all of them, or what.

IIRC, some New England states require new cars to adhere to CA emissions standards, which is why certain diesels in the late 2000s were only 45-odd-state cars.

My car, originally purchased in Connecticut, has the "California Emissions Package." Not sure if this is just on all of them, or what.

Some states have voluntarily adopted the CA emissions standards, so the CA smog strangulation gear is on cars sold there too.

Non-CA emissions cars are still called 49-state cars.

If you're concerned about fuel economy, why not get a diesel? You won't be the first American with one and why not do things properly? Either that or stop whining.

If you're concerned about fuel economy, why not get a diesel? You won't be the first American with one and why not do things properly? Either that or stop whining.

This actually isn't a bad idea.....I know many here say Consumer Reports data doesn't mean jack shit, but the last gen TDI Jetta/Golf got decent scores near the end of its run.

That said, there is a bit of a price premium for those though over comparable gas models, let alone competitors.

I know I'll get shit for this, but how about a Prius. Drive it cross country then sell as soon as possible.

I know I'll get shit for this, but how about a Prius. Drive it cross country then sell as soon as possible.

I can't imagine that would work out well factoring in taxes and and other costs associated with switching cars.

3000 miles * (1/25 mpg) * $3.7 / gal = $444
3000 miles * (1/51mpg) * $3.7 / gal = $217

Difference = $227

That might make a difference to someone over the years if you actually planned to keep the car, but I'd imagine its a pretty minimal savings, if any, in the context of using the vehicle for one trip.

Thats with rough approximations for distance and fillup cost...

Additionally, driving the Prius highway-only makes little use of many hybrid benefits such as plugging in or recovering brake energy.

Additionally, driving the Prius highway-only makes little use of many hybrid benefits such as plugging in or recovering brake energy.

Plug in Prius isn't out here yet officially, but very good points. I forgot that most hybrids get better mileage in town than on the highway. :)

Diesel cars are few and far between out here; and diesel is more expensive than even premium gasoline. And I could quite probably afford a V8, but I have to look at what gas prices will do in the future. And I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm whining, I'm just starting to feel what Europeans like you have had to deal with all your life. I'm old enough to remember the days when gas cost well under $1 per gallon, and I miss those days.

Hybrids only get their best mileage in cities, in stop-and-go traffic. The majority of my driving is on the highway, where the mileage is no better than a Corolla. I think the cars I listed are my best choices right now, but I am always open to constructive suggestions.

Diesel cars are few and far between out here; and diesel is more expensive than even premium gasoline. And I could quite probably afford a V8, but I have to look at what gas prices will do in the future. And I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm whining, I'm just starting to feel what Europeans like you have had to deal with all your life. I'm old enough to remember the days when gas cost well under $1 per gallon, and I miss those days.

Out here, diesel is actually a bit cheaper than premium petrol. The only problem with driving a diesel is that not all gas stations (maybe about 1 in 5) sell diesel, but it'll say on highway signs if there are stations that sell it off that exit. If you plan on keeping it, a diesel will probably pay back the marginal price difference between it and the equivalent petrol version. For what it's worth, I love my diesel and love that I can easily get 300 miles a tank with city-like/not at all careful driving, and mine's an automatic. I know someone who's got a manual version of my car (same year and everything), and he says he can get about 50 mpg on the highway without too much difficulty.

I can easily do 1100 km (683 miles) before the fuel light turns on. And that's with normal driving, not uber careful grandpa coasting and slow-assery.

Out here, diesel is actually a bit cheaper than premium petrol. The only problem with driving a diesel is that not all gas stations (maybe about 1 in 5) sell diesel, but it'll say on highway signs if there are stations that sell it off that exit. If you plan on keeping it, a diesel will probably pay back the marginal price difference between it and the equivalent petrol version. For what it's worth, I love my diesel and love that I can easily get 300 miles a tank with city-like/not at all careful driving, and mine's an automatic. I know someone who's got a manual version of my car (same year and everything), and he says he can get about 50 mpg on the highway without too much difficulty.
I actually did a quick skim of the price online (even though I filled up today as a diesel selling station they don't even have a sign saying they have it) and it is slightly more then premium near me.
How big is your tank? I can get 300 miles on mine driving like a crazy person and I get 28 mpg tops (that was however BEFORE the transmission change and now the car is allowed to rev higher... I expect I am getting poorer mpg now but it is way better for driving!)

If I could find a Jetta TDI with a manual transmission in my price range, I'd snap it up. But unfortunately, using the CarMax website, there are only 6 Jetta TDIs available nationwide, all sedans, with only one car with a stick. Buttload of trucks, though. :lol:

But like I said, I can live with the choices I've made, and going from a 100hp 1.6 litre econocar to a mid to large sized sedan with a 260hp 3.5 V6 will definitely seem like a step up.

Last edited:
I actually did a quick skim of the price online (even though I filled up today as a diesel selling station they don't even have a sign saying they have it) and it is slightly more then premium near me.
How big is your tank? I can get 300 miles on mine driving like a crazy person and I get 28 mpg tops (that was however BEFORE the transmission change and now the car is allowed to rev higher... I expect I am getting poorer mpg now but it is way better for driving!)

I should say I usually get to 300 miles before refilling. I have a pretty small tank iirc, but I usually never let it dip below 1/3 of a tank before refueling because I'm paranoid like that. I could probably take it to 400-ish miles before needing to refuel, but I usually fill up at around 300 miles.

I can easily do 1100 km (683 miles) before the fuel light turns on. And that's with normal driving, not uber careful grandpa coasting and slow-assery.

Damn, that's good. I was checking the cruising range on the 2008 Ford Taurus FWD, and it was 560 miles assuming 28 mpg on the highway. And I thought that was pretty good.

Out of the three you'd pick, I'd choose the mustang if pure driving fun is your top priority. The manual might get annoying on long drives though...

The Taurus/Five Hundred is a great cruiser so I've read, the MKZ looks idk..odd.

If I could find a Jetta TDI with a manual transmission in my price range, I'd snap it up. But unfortunately, using the CarMax website, there are only 6 Jetta TDIs available nationwide, all sedans, with only one car with a stick.

But like I said, I can live with the choices I've made, and going from a 100hp 1.6 litre econocar to a mid to large sized sedan with a 260hp 3.5 V6 will definitely seem like a step up.

If you're not dead set on a purely manual car, I found a Passat Tiptronic for a <$10k in your area. I also found this Jetta 5spd that seems a little overpriced, but I don't know if that's the same car you already found.

I agree the taillights on the MKZ aren't that great looking, but I love the interior. Especially with the camel colored leather and light birch-looking wood.

I don't see how a manual could be tiring on long trips, though. Most of the time I'd be in top gear, to coin a phrase.