Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Here's a nice grainy image of the replacement for my IcyBox NAS drive:

Currently proving to be very reliable, but only time will tell. It's running Ubuntu Server 10.04 with a GNOME GUI, Webmin and TwonkyMedia 4.4.18. The machine itself is a 1.7GHz skt 478 Celeron with 640MB RAM. The drive you can see is a 40GB Maxtor (the original drive) and inside there are 2 1TB SATA drives in a RAID1 array.

Last edited:
Here's a nice grainy image of the replacement for my IcyBox NAS drive:

Currently proving to be very reliable, but only time will tell. It's running Ubuntu Server 10.04 with a GNOME GUI, Webmin and TwonkyMedia 4.4.18. The machine itself is a 1.7GHz skt 478 Celeron with 640MB RAM. The drive you can see is a 40GB Maxtor (the original drive) and inside there are 2 1TB SATA drives in a RAID1 array.
Why so complicated? A dedicated NAS OS woulda been easier I think.

Why so complicated? A dedicated NAS OS woulda been easier I think.

True but after using a NAS drive with only a web interface I want something I can maintain more easily. I was never confident in the RAID array on the NAS box.

Doesn't that have an AMD APU? If so, then it has an HD6225M or something like that, which is plenty powerful for 1080p. Still cool though.

I was doing some heavy benchmark-esque gaming last night, Railroad Tycoon 3.
PC turned itself off, checked bios. CPU temp 77c, system temp 44c.
It was also dirtier than a night with...?

So yeah that was my 2am.

Doesn't that have an AMD APU? If so, then it has an HD6225M or something like that, which is plenty powerful for 1080p. Still cool though.

Yes, some low-end DX11 chip. It certainly can't do it on the processor, even with hardware acceleration CPU usage is over 40%.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again, HD video is absolutely gorgeous on a screen this size...

Yes, some low-end DX11 chip. It certainly can't do it on the processor, even with hardware acceleration CPU usage is over 40%.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again, HD video is absolutely gorgeous on a screen this size...
Cept its not really HD now is it :)

Yep, the 720p on the Booklet is awesome.

:?:

1280x800 fits 1280x720 quite nicely. 1080p video plays fine downscaled but of course you need an external display for full effect (HDMI out).
That's a pretty damn high res screen, I thought you had one of those tablet looking things :)

/me knows nothing about tablets :) I was under the impression that all the regular tablets had fairly low res screens.
1280x800 is standard for widescreen 10" tablets nowadays. The iPad (both 1 and 2) is a little lower with 1024x768 on 9.7", and it's 4x3 rather than widescreen, too.

Excuse my critisism, but that tablet is fricking thick as hell. Or it atleast looks like it.

That's not a Tablet, that's a Tobleronlet!

It's thicker because it's a Windows tablet. It still looks very nice though: the only thing that seems to come close to it in terms of windowed multitasking is the Galaxy Tab 10.1 with the Mini Apps or whatever...