The lack of employment/Laid off/Thread

I'm going to be editing my resume now, thanks for the tips guys.!

Actually, you can still get turned down constantly for things like internships. I spent awhile driving around trying desperately to find ANYONE vaguely in the field to let me internship, everyone was overstaffed and didn't want me.

I'm actually in the process of applying to some internship and volunteer opportunities while looking for work again. I just hope this time goes better then when I was in school. My whole program had issues getting internships as most of the shops we talked to here didn't want to take on any interns so you pretty much had to get creative. I was only able to graduate (relatively) on-time because I was a part of a group that did a project for our program and we got the co-ordinator to sign off on our hours :/

I had to settle for folding tshirts for the summer. It was enough to qualify me for a degree but that would be pretty damn unimpressive of a resume.

I guess the person running your program wasn't too fussy about things like that? The one I had would have went "lol no" as he really wanted us to do something related to the program for our hours.

My CV is pretty much exactly 2 pages long, but everything is quite spaced out and it explains what I've done in each job before. Compared to others I've seen in this thread, mine will prolly be seen as too long, but the temp. companies I've been in contact with have told me the different things they like to see in a CV. Some of the new things I've added is a picture, a list of all the things I have experience (from the various jobs) with and also a description of what I did at each job.

This is atleast what I've learnt from applying to several different jobs for this summer.

The university course I'm going to be doing now very soon is a little different to what I've had work experience with, but I'd argue to keep it in there after graduation to show things like experience with team work, which is a universal requirement for most jobs. Just recently in a job I'm doing right now, I've been flabbergasted of how some people genuinely don't understand team work.

Interesting the different styles from other countries, I'd think someone was a bit up themselves if they stuck a picture of themselves on the resume.

I guess the person running your program wasn't too fussy about things like that? The one I had would have went "lol no" as he really wanted us to do something related to the program for our hours.
Community college, they just wanted it signed off on.

No clue. I was at the end of my requirements for my degree so I wanted out the door as well at that point.

Interesting the different styles from other countries, I'd think someone was a bit up themselves if they stuck a picture of themselves on the resume.

I think it is optional here in Denmark. Some guides advice to put it in, some don't mention it. If it makes a difference or not I don't know. I guess it can show if you are/can be well groomed and look presentable for customers etc.

I guess if you're applying to be a model or something then you might, but otherwise I'd leave it out. Companies tend not to like it because it could potentially lead to them being sued for discrimination.

It was in relation to temp agencies so I guess they'd like to know what each of their candidates/employees look like. :dunno:

I am probably in a much more comfortable position than most people here, having a job that pays a bit better than the average dutch starters job and a top notch degree (for this country at least;)), but it actually took me almost a year to find a job. I know how hard it can be to find work and how depressing the day of a rejection can be, especially if the interview and assessment centre went well.
I am actually looking at a new job at the moment, I am working in a very competitive environment at the moment, but I have some doubts about the future of my industry. Do you guys think I should adress this in my cover letter? Or just leave it out?

I am probably in a much more comfortable position than most people here, having a job that pays a bit better than the average dutch starters job and a top notch degree (for this country at least;)), but it actually took me almost a year to find a job. I know how hard it can be to find work and how depressing the day of a rejection can be, especially if the interview and assessment centre went well.
I am actually looking at a new job at the moment, I am working in a very competitive environment at the moment, but I have some doubts about the future of my industry. Do you guys think I should adress this in my cover letter? Or just leave it out?

I'd never express doubts about the field your applying for a job in....I'd get the feeling that one would be insulted or kinda weirded out

That's just unexperienced me though haha...I'll let the experts chime in.

This. It's not normal here even to be asked for the names of referees unless you have a written offer letter.

Sometimes I forget that the internet is stateless.

Here in Canada (and in the US), it's standard practice to put references on your resume. I totally forgot that there are a lot of places where it isn't.

Another thing about resumes, though; be careful putting potentially discriminatory information on it. Things such as pictures, age and the like should only be put on if it is standard practice where you live; check your local employment standards/labour board website for more information as to what should/should not be on your resume.

Ugh, I'm repeatedly running into the brick wall that is "experience required".

It seems I am completely unable to any job without already having worked there before. I can't even get janitorial or cleaning jobs because I have no experience in the field.
Even fast food places are turning me down, its not so much "I have to start at the bottom" as "The bottom won't have me".

This is what happens when you leave college with a mediocre qualification in something useless like IT/Computing... <_<

See all I've got is experience in a bunch of things. Sales/Marketing (sort of,) Bar work, Manual Labour in the forms of working with animals and domestic. All sorts. An I have absolutely no formal qualifications what-so-ever. I left school at 15 wi' only me Standard Grades (Scottish GCSE's.) then went straight into work a few months later when I turned 16. I think there is such as thing as being "too" qualified for work but it is experience that's the cherry ont top of the cake really. In the 8 years I've been working, I've never really been out of a job. Even when I was a student.

My boyfriend how ever got made redundant in December just gone an' still has no job which I keep nipping his heels about, especially seeing as he's living off his stocks right now which ain't doing that good. He was doing Web Design for some Marketing company in SF, he an' a bunch of other folk in his department got called in one day an' left without jobs.

I'd never express doubts about the field your applying for a job in....I'd get the feeling that one would be insulted or kinda weirded out
I have doubts about the field I am working in, not the one I'll be applying to. This is kind of the reason why I am thinking about finding work elsewhere.

See all I've got is experience in a bunch of things. Sales/Marketing (sort of,) Bar work, Manual Labour in the forms of working with animals and domestic. All sorts. An I have absolutely no formal qualifications what-so-ever. I left school at 15 wi' only me Standard Grades (Scottish GCSE's.) then went straight into work a few months later when I turned 16. I think there is such as thing as being "too" qualified for work but it is experience that's the cherry ont top of the cake really. In the 8 years I've been working, I've never really been out of a job. Even when I was a student.

My boyfriend how ever got made redundant in December just gone an' still has no job which I keep nipping his heels about, especially seeing as he's living off his stocks right now which ain't doing that good. He was doing Web Design for some Marketing company in SF, he an' a bunch of other folk in his department got called in one day an' left without jobs.

I love how when they make redundancies it's always a meeting right before the end of your shift, LOL.

I'll share a bit of my experience, or frustration actually. I've been without a job since April and progress to get a new one has been excruciatingly slow. I worked at a hedge fund, which went bust and left me jobless. I have already 4 years of solid finance experience, but I'm currently in the wrong industry to be left without a job. All banks are currently laying off people by the hunders, if not thousands, so even though I'm willing to move to London or NYC, jobs are hard to come by. I've tried my numerous contacts and headhunters, but everyone is either fully-staffed, or in the middle of a "strategy review," by which they mean that they are sharpening the axe. Most frustrating thing is that I left a very decent job to join the fund, which went bust only 5 months after I joined. Hopefully, things will pick up in September when people return from their holidays.