Ford Recalls Trucks Because Gas Tanks Can Fall Off

Straps will eventually rust out, these just seem to be rusting prematurely.

My guess is that the supplier screwed up the galvanization.

Last edited:
So a truck that is at best almost eight years old sold in cold, harsh climates is susceptible to some possible deterioration. Mind you, that's only eight trucks for every 1.1 million sold, or less than 0.001% which is a pretty good failure rate in anyone's books!

Seriously. Seems people who are biased against Ford for whatever blind reason are coming out of the woodworks. Even if 1,008 or 10,008 were the numbers reported that is still a tiny tiny % of the total.

I posted this as information to those that own or know somebody who does own one of these vehicles. My lawn Nazi neighbor was informed about it right after he came home from work. As much as I don't like him, I don't want to hear about him dieing because of something like this.

I posted this as information to those that own or know somebody who does own one of these vehicles. My lawn Nazi neighbor was informed about it right after he came home from work. As much as I don't like him, I don't want to hear about him dieing because of something like this.
I don't think the above was directed at you, there is nothing other than the PR/News story in your OP, hard to suspect bias.

My post? Just a comment on the story, nothing more :). I was just wondering where you draw the line on recalls though. Seems strange a car company would still issue recalls for vehicles that went out of production eight years ago. I had written a second paragraph in my first comment but decided to delete it which meant the first paragraph sounded a little bald on it's own. I guess if it's a critical safety issue something could be done, but eight cars? Doesnt sound like a big issue to me.

My post? Just a comment on the story, nothing more :). I was just wondering where you draw the line on recalls though. Seems strange a car company would still issue recalls for vehicles that went out of production eight years ago. I had written a second paragraph in my first comment but decided to delete it which meant the first paragraph sounded a little bald on it's own. I guess if it's a critical safety issue something could be done, but eight cars? Doesnt sound like a big issue to me.
Well it could have been eight cars caught on fire but the actual failure rate could be pretty high. Also it's a good PR move, fairly small problem on a pretty old vehicle yet the manufacturer is still issuing recalls and standing behind their product in a sense.

Well it could have been eight cars caught on fire but the actual failure rate could be pretty high. Also it's a good PR move, fairly small problem on a pretty old vehicle yet the manufacturer is still issuing recalls and standing behind their product in a sense.

Right now Ford's image is much better than it's domestic rivals. So anything that would generate good press and maintain or elevate their image even more would be a smart thing to do.

Also, having to remove/replace non-strapped external tanks is an enormous pain in the arse because invariably the fasteners have rusted in place and you CANNOT use a torch to break them free. By the way, this is often step one for replacing the fuel pump or strainer in many cars, so you can't say that this is something that's never going to be done either.
I'm just wondering how you could mount a gas tank otherwise? In the cab, behind the drivers seat? Yeah that worked really well :lol:. Or bolt it up to the bottom of the bed. That would be great until 20-30 years later when the bed floor rusted out. Straps are definitely the way to go.

Right now Ford's image is much better than it's domestic rivals. So anything that would generate good press and maintain or elevate their image even more would be a smart thing to do.
Yep, good on them for not trying to sweep this under the rug. It definitely looks a lot better when a company tries to get out ahead of problems like this.

Ford has been doing this kind of thing for years. In fact, in 2008 or so, they sent me a recall notice for my 95 Lincoln for a brake pressure switch in the cruise control system. It was weird bringing in a 13 years old car with around 180,000 miles on it for what was essentially warranty work.