1991 Dodge Dakota Beatertruck

Aside from the transfer case (bad output shaft seals and bearings - going to ignore the problem and just keep topping it up until it lets go properly) and some questionable rear shocks it's done. The only thing left now is to take it down off the blocks, go to the DMV, title it, get temp tags, and take it to be inspected already.

The only reason this truck got so bad was because it was replaced by a newer Dakota in '98 and was parked in a field until 2010 and only touched for oil changes every 6 months (the log is full of 0-mile oil changes) and to be loaned out to friends and family.

Aside from the transfer case (bad output shaft seals and bearings - going to ignore the problem and just keep topping it up until it lets go properly) and some questionable rear shocks it's done. The only thing left now is to take it down off the blocks, go to the DMV, title it, get temp tags, and take it to be inspected already.

The only reason this truck got so bad was because it was replaced by a newer Dakota in '98 and was parked in a field until 2010 and only touched for oil changes every 6 months (the log is full of 0-mile oil changes) and to be loaned out to friends and family.

Uh.. you might want to fix the bearings. Unless, of course, you want the driveshafts to come adrift and come say hello...

Uh.. you might want to fix the bearings. Unless, of course, you want the driveshafts to come adrift and come say hello...
I replaced the emergency straps with some nice new kevlar. The bearings are a godawful "remove the t-case, take it all the damned way apart and rebuild everything" kind of job. Only the seals can be replaced with the thing actually on the truck. I'll get to it when it either lets one go or I find an NV242J (Selectable 4LO, 4HI, 2WD, AWD instead of just 4LO, 4HI, 2WD)

Yeah, it's not exactly a rare t-case, I just need to remember to start carrying an extra wad of cash and to crawl under Cherokees at the junkyard.

Last edited:
$#&#&$. Took it on its "last" pre-titling-and-inspection offroad shakedownromp. Sonofabitch tried to overheat once I dropped into 4LO to force it up into highway revs. Soft upper hose. Probably a gunked up thermostat (and a gunked-up every damned thing).

Had a brief scare when I noticed a braided fuel line that looked to have rusted and snapped off its fitting. Fortunately, the infamous previous owner had replaced it and just left the original hanging up in there. Why? Because he's a huge dick. Going to do a full coolant flush this weekend, along with a new thermostat and a new hose from the pump to the thermostat housing.

It lives!

Pictured 40 miles from home, lowering property values at a friend's new house. Estimated fuel economy over yesterday's many miles of driving (over 100) was like 11mpg (subject to the whims of the fuel gauge, which is known in this specific example to malfunction - proper figures available on refueling).

This truck reminds me of an old Chevy Caprice my family owned when I was growing up. Vomitium interior (complete with falling-apart seats that stabbed your legs), absolutely shot suspension and body, terrible fuel economy. It went through four engines and two transmissions while we had it (10 years and maybe 70,000 miles)