Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Thanks, that's actually quite a lot more than I was expecting

As for those corner lights, I just Bought the shit out of them. That was the piece that was giving me the hardest time to find, Also the left taillight, which I bought yesterday from a pick a part.

Another parts that are giving me trouble are the headlight door grilles (Not sure is the name is right)

http://img690.imageshack.**/img690/3624/newpicturevj.png

This are the 2WD ones, the 4WD model has an additional Indicator/courtesy light

http://img713.imageshack.**/img713/5923/newpicture1wy.png

so that one doesn't fit, I'll look for a Sprinter Carib front end and yank it

on an unrelated note, there is not a single Becker Mexico for sale over here, and if it was it'd be more expensive than the car, and that's just silly

Sometimes they're called "headlight bezels".

Kind of like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/83-8...ar_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1d96cb61b

Other names include "headlight surrounds" or "beauty rings".

You might also want to ask this guy if he has any more parts:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/westernsm/m...&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

Edit: Annnd here's the other one. It appears to come with the rest of the headlight assembly, too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/83-8...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5883b08f74

There's some other listings with no pictures that you might want to look at:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...ht+door&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Last edited:
Exactly like this one, however I need the RH one, and I've already found it here. Thanks for locating that one though. I'll make a thread about the restoration and get a proof pic shortly.

Exactly like this one, however I need the RH one, and I've already found it here. Thanks for locating that one though. I'll make a thread about the restoration and get a proof pic shortly.

Good luck with the restoration, good to know there's people keeping old Toyotas on the road.

So I wish there was video of this... its certainly a new trick.

SUV Flies Into Attic Of Home

Good to see - note the edits I made to my post, though. :D

Best of all heated CLOTH seats. Why. When would cloth seats even be cold?

Oh, I do! Mountains above Park City, 2 AM, winter. The engines never would get up to operating temperature when I was working during the Olympics, so no heat from the vents.

The drivers would fight to the death for the two vehicle with heated seats.

Oh, I do! Mountains above Park City, 2 AM, winter. The engines never would get up to operating temperature when I was working during the Olympics, so no heat from the vents.

The drivers would fight to the death for the two vehicle with heated seats.
What, the people in charge of transportation for the god damned winter olympics hadn't heard of radiator blankets? Hell, some high revs and a cardboard blockoff would probably have done it.

What, the people in charge of transportation for the god damned winter olympics hadn't heard of radiator blankets? Hell, some high revs and a cardboard blockoff would probably have done it.

It was NBC, they just hired local college kids to drive for them.

Heated everything = better than heated nothing :yes:

Heated everything = better than heated nothing :yes:

Not if it's in a VW in Texas in the summer and the stupid relay for the heated seats has suddenly broken in the on position. Friend of mine with a diesel Jetta called me with that problem a couple of weeks ago. :p

Not if it's in a VW in Texas in the summer and the stupid relay for the heated seats has suddenly broken in the on position. Friend of mine with a diesel Jetta called me with that problem a couple of weeks ago. :p

long-neck-reaction.jpg

unplug fuse

Excuse me I need to go pull all the wires for the passenger seat in the subaru...
stare.gif

unplug fuse

VW integrated the seat heat with something else on his year Jetta, IIRC, and you couldn't remove the fuse without losing other functionality. Either way, the solution was to reach under each seat and unplug the seat heater connector. Keep in mind that if the lady hadn't hit the seat heat button in the middle of the summer in a blazing hot car, the relay probably wouldn't have failed.

Bottom line - don't hit the damn seat heat button if you don't want seat heat.

Edit: Forgot to mention, he did go and get replacement relays and fitted them, then plugged the seat heater grids back in. He also painted the seat heat button red and stuck a Dymo label above and below it saying "SEAT HEAT" because she did the same damn thing this week, only the relays didn't melt this time.

Last edited:
Would the switch happen to be next to the shifter? Because it is incredibly easy to hit those when you are putting your purse on the passenger seat, which accounts for every occasion they have accidentally been turned on for me or mom. It is less of a "lol whut does this switch do" and more of a bad placement issue. A label isn't going to help if it is in such a spot.

Wait that was a stupid question, unless it has been moved the VW one is probably on the dashboard under the radio. The only thing you can be aiming for and miss is like the rear defrost. How the hell do you screw that up.

Last edited:
Pfft, I'd have just shot the wife and pleaded "extreme provocation". ;)

Wait that was a stupid question, unless it has been moved the VW one is probably on the dashboard under the radio. The only thing you can be aiming for and miss is like the rear defrost. How the hell do you screw that up.

Yeah, it was on the dash. As for how you screw that up - well... :rolleyes: When she married him, she made him sell his X300 to get her a 4Runner V6, claiming that the 4Runner was going to be inherently safer, etc., etc. :rolleyes:

I don't think I need to say anything more about her, now do I?

Last edited:
She clearly lacks the fine motor skills require to drive. In the 5 years I have owned my car I have hit any of the switches next to where that goes maybe once. :|

Yeah, it was on the dash. As for how you screw that up - well... :rolleyes: When she married him, she made him sell his X300 to get her a 4Runner V6, claiming that the 4Runner was going to be inherently safer, etc., etc. :rolleyes:

I don't think I need to say anything more about her, now do I?

Well you could tell us where you and he intend to dispose of her dismembered corpse but I would advise against it strongly.