The Ultimate macOS Thread

I'm a mild user, if that, and I definitely noticed a few differences.

iTunes runs a lot faster for me. It was almost unusable with Snow Leopard, now its very snappy and doesn't give me any problems. Actually, the whole system seems to run a bit snappier than before.

Expose or whatever its called now is improved over Snow Leopard, since it gives you windows grouped by application, not just a thousand equally sized windows to choose from.

The system takes a bit longer to boot up with Lion, but once you log in you are good to go, no having to wait for the system to fully boot up while staring at the desktop.

Other than that I can't think of anything much different. The new animations for opening/closing windows and notifications is a nice touch.. and my mouse no longer wakes up the screen. Thats about it.

Honestly, the $30 was worth having iTunes and the overall system run quicker.

What did it fuck up?

It seems to run like a sack fo shit on my macbook pro, random app breakages as well

The system takes a bit longer to boot up with Lion, but once you log in you are good to go, no having to wait for the system to fully boot up while staring at the desktop.
Really? Mine is faster with Lion than Snow Leopard. Then again I was never hurting for speed :)

I would say AirDrop is really the only stand out feature that would be a must have for anyone who shares files with other Mac users a lot.

Well, would you consider switching to Safari? Personally I quite like it, especially the new download window, although I do keep Chrome as my "other" browser.

I dunno. There's a few extensions that have really become part of my browsing experience so maybe firefox. My history with safari has been mostly crashes so I'm not sold on the new version.

I dunno. There's a few extensions that have really become part of my browsing experience so maybe firefox. My history with safari has been mostly crashes so I'm not sold on the new version.
Firefox has a similar GPU switching issue though, basically anything thats not Safari will switch to Radeon as soon as Flash starts up. What's worse is that until you quit the application that called Flash it will keep running Radeon and I do mean quit as in Command-Q.

Safari has extensions as well but it blows compared to Chrome. There is also the fact that Chrome is still the most secure browser despite built in Flash.

Firefox has a similar GPU switching issue though, basically anything thats not Safari will switch to Radeon as soon as Flash starts up. What's worse is that until you quit the application that called Flash it will keep running Radeon and I do mean quit as in Command-Q.

Safari has extensions as well but it blows compared to Chrome. There is also the fact that Chrome is still the most secure browser despite built in Flash.
Is that why firefox has been shit?
also extensions wise firefox > chrome >safari, which is why I am back on firefox again. i am sick of chrome's useless adblock.

supposedly theres a chrome update. any one know if the GPU bug got fixed?

Considering how crashy it was for me until I got fed up with it about an hour ago I doubt it.

supposedly theres a chrome update. any one know if the GPU bug got fixed?

It's an OS "bug" really. If you just install regular Flash, Safari will STILL force the Intel GPU but Chrome will not.
i am sick of chrome's useless adblock.
Never had a single problem. In fact Firefox sux quite a bit more on all my machines.

The adblock on chrome seems to block random things like smileys and misses a lot of actual ads.

Like I said above..... :p Are you using Chrome stable or Beta? I find Beta to actually be better than Stable.

Chrom comes with an ad blocker? Sounds like a conflict of interests.

Chrom comes with an ad blocker? Sounds like a conflict of interests.
lol no not quite, its an extension but when I tried Chrome stable it was sucky but Beta works pretty well. Not sure if ABP would be affected by that tho.

lol no not quite, its an extension but when I tried Chrome stable it was sucky but Beta works pretty well. Not sure if ABP would be affected by that tho.

Ah I was wondering about that. An advertising company like Google giving away a web browser that blocks advertising seemed a bit shifty. :p

I'm using ABP (not that crappy one that was in the Chrome Extensions Store before) and have had no issues so far.

Question. Upgrading RAM in laptop will or will not void warranty?

How many RAM can I have? I might as well get all the RAM so I don't have to waste time upgrading later (I have a MacBookPro8,2 15" 2.3GHz quad-core)
APPARENTLY SIXTEEN. I do not think I can afford that D:

Last edited: