Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

maxtortheone

Chicken Fiddler
Car(s)
2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
Made a thread so it doesn't get lost in the Random Thoughts one

VALVE ANNOUNCES COUNTER-STRIKE: GLOBAL OFFENSIVE (CS: GO)

capsule_467x181.jpg

Next Gen Console, PC, and Mac Release Targeted for Early 2012

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO).

Targeted for release via Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam (for PC and Mac) in early 2012, CS: GO will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched exactly 12 years ago (CS beta 1, August 1999).

CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.

"Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999," said Doug Lombardi at Valve. "For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac."

CS: GO is being developed by Valve in cooperation with Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment. The title is targeted for release in early 2012 and will be playable at this year's PAX Prime and Eurogamer Expo 2011.

For more information, please visit the CS: GO Steam page

Real Details on the New Counter-Strike from Pros Who?ve Played It

Valve Software revealed the existence of the newest Counter-Strike today, but the company seemed a bit shy on specifics, saying that next year's Counter-Strike: Global Offensive would bring new weapons, gameplay modes and maps to the extremely popular competitive shooter.

Thankfully, some of Counter-Strike's most dedicated players, the professionally competitive type, are going hands-on with CS: GO this week at Valve HQ, giving us an early look at some of the game's big changes.
ESEA News' Craig "Torbull" Levine offered up the game's first in-depth hands-on report from a "pre-beta" build of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, writing that Valve is "keen on hearing the input from top [Counter-Strike Source] players to make CS GO an e-sports title."

Bastian Veiser, product manager for the ESL Pro Series, says he's also in attendance at Valve's CS GO playtest, writing on Twitter that it's not just Counter-Strike Source players offering their feedback to Valve. "There 'are' 1.6 players around," he assures fans of the other active Counter-Strike fanbase.

Levine writes that Valve plans to include both "casual and competitive games modes" in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive with dedicated servers and a built-in matchmaking system. The first CS GO map that the small group of Counter-Strike enthusiasts played was the iconic "de_dust," which game designer Jess Cliffe reportedly said was being "overhauled to become competitively played."

The next Counter-Strike sounds visually overhauled as well, with Levine writing that "maps look beautiful, the player skins and animations are smooth, and the gun models are cool!" Veiser tweeted that the game was apparently "based on the Portal 2 Source engine."

"We got to play dust, dust2, inferno, and nuke," Levine writes, confirming the existence of the series' best known maps. Valve reportedly also confirmed that "de_train" would be included in Global Offensive's map rotation among other unspecified maps.

The next Counter-Strike will also reportedly add some new weapons to its arsenal, including a "new heavy machine gun rifle, new pistols, and a new shotgun." Valve is also experimenting with two new grenade options, a pricey Molotov cocktail?designed to block rushes and do area of effect damage?and a decoy grenade that emits gunfire sounds intended to confuse players who rely on audio cues to determine player positioning. Given the controversy that surrounded the inclusion of Counter-Strike's since-removed riot shield, it's going to be very interesting to see how Valve and Hidden Path integrate all-new weapons and tactics into the series' tried and tested existing components.

Levine also touched on the gameplay nuances of CS GO in his write-up, writing that the new title had a "feel" distinguishable from both Counter-Strike 1.6 and Counter-Strike Source, saying "pro players seemed surprisingly happy with the player player movement and feel of the game."

Valve is also reportedly experimenting with weapons that have "situational value." Instead of players committing solely to the strongest, most reliable options?the AWP, Desert Eagle, AK-47 and M4A1?it appears that the game's developers intend to make sub machine guns, shotguns and pistols viable purchases. Levine writes that CS GO will have "adjustable weapon variables," which sounds like an easier way for Valve to tweak values of each weapon for improved balance.

Finally, according to Veiser, Valve may be planning a closed, invite-only beta test for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in the coming months. Attendees of this month's PAX Prime and the Eurogamer Expo (late September) will have a chance to go hands on with the game.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is "targeted" for an early 2012 release on the Xbox 360's Xbox Live Arcade, the PlayStation 3's PlayStation Network, Mac and PC in early 2012.

Never really got into any of the Counter-Strike games, I've played HL2: Deathmatch more than all the CS titles. Still, this is a Valve game coming next year so that means I'll probably get it. Who knows, maybe it will be great.

So Valve is releasing Dota 2 this year, CS:GO early next year and HL3/EP3 is in works since 2007. Great... Do you think they hope we forget about HL and they'll get away with not making it? :lol:

Awesome, first I've heard of a new CS. Like most FPS gamers I spent 12 hours a day for weeks on end playing the original over and over - it's a lesson in balance and "just one more go"ness.
I mostly trust Valve to not modernize it at the expense of any of that.

Hm, I probably have well over 1000hours on record for CS:S alone, 1.6 will probably be a whole lot less but still.
It's a while since I played it competitively (about a year) but I should start training again because I'm attending a LAN in september where we are going to compete in CS:S and BC2 tournaments.
This new title will come just in time because after playing a lot of BC2 it became really apparent how dated CS:S is in the video and audio department.

I can't wait, I do love me some Counter Strike.

Last edited:
Video preview

And there's a trailer up on Steam. Game looks like the second remake of Counter-Strike with some added stuff. I'm not convinced yet.

They've added a staircase to de_dust2.

The community will hate this game.

They've added a staircase to de_dust2.

The community will hate this game.

Only thing that sounds good to me is the skill based matchmaking. That means I don't get sent into games where I never land a shot on anyone because I've never really played CS.

Only thing that sounds good to me is the skill based matchmaking. That means I don't get sent into games where I never land a shot on anyone because I've never really played CS.

Remember that it is impossible to balance CS, so many different after market balancers have tried and none have really succeeded.

Learn to play better!

Reading some threads on the Steam forums. Seems like this is what the large CS community wants, the same game with different graphics. I don't get that. I have a friend that only plays CS, gonna ask him.

This has made us in IRC want to play CS again. Join the chat & join the game later tonight! :D

The question is still why?
Source pre-orange-box-engine was perfect.