Germany Mourns the Death of its Best Comedian

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
Not sure how many people outside of Germany really knew him but he was definitely the best German comedian ever.

Loriot Passes Away at 87

Germany Mourns the Death of its Best Comedian

Loriot, Germany's best-loved comedian, has died at the age of 87. With his understated observational humor, he taught Germans to laugh at themselves, and his cartoons, TV sketches and films remain funny, decades after they first appeared.

Germany is mourning its greatest comedian, Vicco von B?low, better known as Loriot, whose death at the age of 87 was announced on Tuesday.

His TV sketches, books, films and cartoons, one featuring two naked middle-aged gentlemen quarrelling in a bathtub, made him a household name in Germany from the 1960s onwards.

His brand of understated, observational humor gently poked fun at Teutonic idiosyncrasies, with sketches including one set in a yodelling class, and one in which a boy gets a "build-your-own-nuclear-reactor" kit for Christmas which promptly goes into meltdown once assembled.

In one, he plays a middle-aged man declaring his love to his girlfriend Hildegard in an Italian restaurant, unaware that he has a little piece of spaghetti on his face that he inadvertently shifts around with his nervous gestures, to her mounting shock and disgust.

Generations of German Comics

He made fun of the small-mindedness, the fussiness and the excessive formality of the German post-war middle classes. Those traits may now seem a tad dated -- though not completely unrecognizable. But the humor with which he exposed them remains fresh and funny to this day, and ensured Loriot enduring popularity.

In 2007, aged 83, he was voted as Germany's best comedian, which says as much about Loriot's unique talent as it does about the generations of German comics that have followed him.

German President Christian Wulff praised him as a "clever observer of human weaknesses." In a statement, he said: "Through Loriot, we learned to laugh about the simplest difficulties of life. We admired his ideas, his inexhaustible imagination and his courtly, elegant calm."

Courtliness was part of B?low's trademark. He was born on Nov. 12, 1923 to an aristocratic Prussian family, and derived his stage name, Loriot, from his family's heraldric animal, a Golden Oriole, which is called Loriot in French. His talent for drawing and mimicry became evident at school and he worked as an extra in theater productions and films.

A More Relaxed View

Von B?low was called up to the army in 1941 and served on the eastern front. After the war, he studied painting and began working as a cartoonist for newspapers.

Norbert Lammert, the president of the German parliament, said: "Vicco von B?low put his stamp on cultural life in Germany for decades and, as Loriot, helped Germans to gain a more relaxed view of their mentality and habits."

In one sketch from the 1970s, as funny now as it was then, Loriot plays an elderly gentleman who goes to a marriage counsellor with his wife. Asked what his favorite color is, he says: "Gray. But not just gray, more green-gray, going into brown, a kind of brown-gray with green, a brown-green-gray," until the counsellor tells him to shut up. When she orders him to kiss his wife, he refuses, opting instead to kiss a kissing machine, which he does with a little too much passion.

Loriot retired from TV work in 2006 . He and his wife Rose-Marie lived on Lake Starnberg in Bavaria, surrounded by an unknown number of pug dogs, without whom, he once said, life would be meaningless.

"Loriot's death was absolutely unnecessary," wrote SPIEGEL correspondent Stefan Kuzmany. "He had long since become immortal. And will remain it."

cro -- with wire reports

[video=youtube;DPIQwc-Jyyg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPIQwc-Jyyg[/video]

Last edited:
Well, he deserves a bigger spotlight, even though most probably don't know that :p

Last edited:
I tried a couple of times to find something funny or at least amusing in Loriot, I tried really hard but i was never successful.... That doesn't change now because of his death. I don't know why I can't find anything fun in it. It's not that I'm a person who likes primitive jokes by Stefan Raab or so. But somehow the problem with all the Loriot sketches I've seen is that I fall asleep or can't stay focused long before it reaches its actual point. The buildup is always so.. argh... annoying slow moving.

Last edited:
Rest in peace, Sir.

That is a very big loss indeed, but at least he can finally be reunited with Evelyn who had died before him - making her death the first time her timing was imperfect, as per Loriot.

...and there was already a celebrity deaths thread.

:clarkson: Yeah but who knew there was a funny German?

Ducks and runs for the nearest bunker.

Exactly my point :)

I wonder if there was a thread for George Carlin's death. These two gentlemen, despite their very different styles, were about equally significant. So there.

Rest in peace.

I watched the first sketch and didn't find it funny, I guess the humor here doesn't transcend the language barrier.

I guess the humor here doesn't transcend the language barrier.
It is based entirely on the idiosyncrasies of Germans and life in Germany, lampooning for instance our national characteristics of uptightness and orderliness by overstating them and then putting the characters in overdramatised, but still realistic situations. In other words, you need a profound understanding of us lot before you can even begin to appreciate the humour. ;-)

Well, this sketch doesn't need any understanding of Germans:

There was a German, who was funny......

on purpose??

This did require a new thread. :)

There was a German, who was funny......

on purpose??

Ve vill only be funny in a planned and organized manner, jawohl!

Every little detail of Loriot bits was meticulously planned and rehearsed :nod: that precision was part of the German funniness.

Seriously, though... he was an absolute master of his profession. His timing was perfect in whatever he did.

Here's are two of his absolute classics:

Last edited:
Seriously, though... he was an absolute master of his profession. His timing was perfect in whatever he did.

Here's are two of his absolute classics:

That is what I mean. Thats not funny... thats a plainly retarded "joke".