The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Sorry, I got the wrong message the first time I read that.
Lol, same here...

Anyway, for a first bike I highly recommend at least a litre bike since you'd outgrow the 250 really quickly, plus the litre bikes are way cooler and can do wheelies more easily.

I just kidding ;D.

I wish more manufacturers will make more smaller displacement sportbikes so there is more competition. Also, if they will start importing the fuel-injected ones to the US (I'm looking at you, Kawi)....

By the time I actually have enough money for a bike, the CBR will probably have moved into the used market. So I think I'll wait for that.

From What I'm reading, the CBR is good for people both tall and short. I'm about 5'10" or 5'11", and my girlfriend, who is also interested in getting into bikes, is about 5'2" or 5'3". I think the CBR will fit both of us, and be reliable enough for both of us to learn on.

One thing I learned when it comes to bikes are riders' inseams. Someone, who's shorter than I am, can flat foot a taller bike (say a 32" seat height) because they have longer legs. Also, the seat matters a lot - the stock seat of the SV, for example, is very wide, which makes it harder to reach the floor. However, there are a lot of easy things you can do with seats to make it fit you better - shave it, swap it out , etc.

Also, I'm waiting to hear more about the CBR250R from actual owners and their experience taking it out to the track. We're trying to get a 250 class started up here, so it'll be interesting when we put these bikes side to side.

Lol, same here...

Anyway, for a first bike I highly recommend at least a litre bike since you'd outgrow the 250 really quickly, plus the litre bikes are way cooler and can do wheelies more easily.

I just kidding ;D.

How did you inbed that message into your post like that? So that it doesn't normally show up?

It's ok, I got it now.

Last edited:

Bah. This is a real man's cruiser. :p

800px-Rocket_3b.JPG

So I was checking out HD website, do they still use iron heads?

Last edited:
Rode it, doesn't turn for shit.

I think the VMax is where it's at. 200 bhp in a cruiser chassis that can still carve up a canyon.

Last edited:
More than 10 degrees of lean angle would be nice. I couldn't believe how quickly that thing dragged parts in even a mild corner.

More than 10 degrees of lean angle would be nice. I couldn't believe how quickly that thing dragged parts in even a mild corner.

Ha. Fortunately for me I'd kill myself on it well before I got to a corner. :p

Folks, you should keep an eye out for manholes while riding these days. Between recent floods floating the covers off and jerks stealing them, uncovered manhole casualties are on the rise again:

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/abrell-1004521-says-sure.html
http://www.ny1.com/content/features...woman-steps-into-uncovered-manhole--urges-fix
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8335767
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Manhole-thieves-create-unseen-dangers-in-Hemet.html

Friend of mine just called - his ST1100 just bit it on an uncovered manhole in the Austin area. He's fine, the bike's probably going to be a writeoff. "Motorcycle go down de hole" is apparently not much fun.

That has to be the worst type of "oh shit" moment.

I encountered one two weeks ago in a heavy rainstorm, luckily I was driving my car and more luckily I was able to stop, get out, push the very heavy cover a bit more into place than it was and call the police to take an additional look...

Folks, you should keep an eye out for manholes while riding these days. Between recent floods floating the covers off and jerks stealing them, uncovered manhole casualties are on the rise again:
Around here, the manholes can be covered, but still have a deep enough indentation to ruin a wheel on a car or upset a bike. We also get bumps that'll launch a bike into the air at 20mph. The gouges can appear seemingly overnight - one day riding over that crack is fine, the next it makes the bike wobble in a very disturbing fashion. One stretch of year-old concrete road has developed a wonderful washboard effect.

Spectre, glad your friend's ok, sorry about his bike.

He should claim the bike on his insurance and work with his carrier to file a claim against the utility/municipality responsible for the street or manhole cover.

Met some guys from Deus yesterday. Yes, that Deus:

121566060_dbcbe226d1_b.jpg

This bike was there. Not my picture, as my phone died the second I entered, but the W650 above was purchased by a certain Mr. Ryan Reynolds in America, then bought back by the company. Deus is opening a shop in Venice Beach by the end of October, which should be fairly inclusive like their shops in Bali and Sydney. They'll be building custom bikes, bicycles, importing surfboards from Bali, and there will be a cafe and clothing store on-site They'll also have a design team to oversee their clothing and motorcycle departments as well, but it's not going to be big. They're super nice guys, really young, and definitely know what they're talking about.

Also, I'm real tempted to pick this up...:think:

SantaMonica-20110908-01671.jpg

Last edited:

Nice!

If you get this, will it be your commuter? If it so, nice choice! Just make sure you have a secure spot to park it at your place and at your work. I'm not an expert on L.A. but if you want to own a nice motorcycle in the city, you should take a few precautions. A disc lock might be a good idea.

Nice bike! Forget disc locks, you need a two-way pager style alarm system or Low Jack.

And comprehensive insurance.

Or buy a V-Strom, no one steals V-Stroms.

LA bike thieves, when I lived there, were not deterred by a disc lock. What they did was show up with a van and four guys, chuck the bike, disc lock and all, into the back of the van, close the doors and drive away. Took all of fifteen seconds if they could get close.

Lojack isn't good either - LAPD's units with Lojack recievers are pitifully few in number and they are overwhelmed by the number of requests for service. I would suggest a GPS equipped system that can track your bike - LA's bike thieves are less interested in stripping the bike and more interested in shipping it overseas.

You could also get something so heavy four guys are unable to lift it. GL1500s should be in your price range :p