[02x08] September 18, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

alclark

Car(s)
96 Honda Accord LX w/ 3 pedals
Hollywood Cars
The guys create versions of their favorite Hollywood cars; Tanner and Rutledge race a horse and two Mustangs through the Utah desert.

If I don't see the General Lee, I will be so disapointed

If I don't see the General Lee, I will be so disapointed

Given the racial undertones such a move would create, I doubt it will happen, even on the Civil War-happy History Channel.

In my perfect show, it would be: Kit (the original; seems like a Tanner-esque match), Ecto-1 (or -2; perfect for Rut's quirky nature), and Herbie (because Adam would do it just to piss off the other presenters). [I'm sure there a list of what was actually picked somewhere online, but I'm going to bask in my euphoria until Sunday rolls along.]

In my perfect show, it would be: Kit (the original; seems like a Tanner-esque match), Ecto-1 (or -2; perfect for Rut's quirky nature), and Herbie (because Adam would do it just to piss off the other presenters). [I'm sure there a list of what was actually picked somewhere online, but I'm going to bask in my euphoria until Sunday rolls along.]

I'm betting you that they might pick one well known car, one so-so car, and one offbeat/oddball car. I'll even throw a curveball: One of the car choices is from a cartoon or kids show.

Which Batmobile? This one:
Batmobile_replica.jpg

or this one:
Ontheroad.jpg

I would like to see the latter. And I declare that it is necessary to see the hosts dressed as the characters who drove the car, in this case Rutledge dressed up as Robin the Boy Wonder, including the little shorts. Get THAT image out of your noggins!

I think they're trying to give the hosts more character with these challenges. For the first few seasons of TGUK, they didn't have all that much personality, and TGUS needs to get really good really fast, or they might get canceled. Cheap car challenges seem to be the most effective way to build character, which is why they did so many this season, as well as the Tanner embarrassment thing, and now this. I think they'll do more track testing after everyone has begun to understand and become familiar with the characters.

I think they're trying to give the hosts more character with these challenges. For the first few seasons of TGUK, they didn't have all that much personality, and TGUS needs to get really good really fast, or they might get canceled. Cheap car challenges seem to be the most effective way to build character, which is why they did so many this season, as well as the Tanner embarrassment thing, and now this. I think they'll do more track testing after everyone has begun to understand and become familiar with the characters.

But here is the rub; too much cheap car challenges, and it could either be detrimental (i.e. "NO MORE CHEAP CAR CHALLENGES!! WE HATE IT!! DO SOMETHING ELSE!!" sayeth the fanbase and viewers), or, it'll be such a crutch that it defines the show forever (which will lead into problems down the road......).

But here is the rub; too much cheap car challenges, and it could either be detrimental (i.e. "NO MORE CHEAP CAR CHALLENGES!! WE HATE IT!! DO SOMETHING ELSE!!" sayeth the fanbase and viewers), or, it'll be such a crutch that it defines the show forever (which will lead into problems down the road......).

That might have happened, but we see that this is not just the standard cheap car challenge, and 02x07 looks like more character building, but without the cheap cars. Also, they've already begun to phase back in the track tests, so I don't think this trend will continue into season three.

In those videos over on the History Channel you get a peek I saw a black Trans Am and this bad boy.
general.jpg

From @RutledgeWood about the Mustangs through the desert piece:

@johnarnold111 That actually changed...Mustangs won't be till the next 8 episodes. Sorry

Given the racial undertones such a move would create, I doubt it will happen, even on the Civil War-happy History Channel.

The only people who have a problem with the General Lee Charger are, in a word, racists.

The rest of us who have a brain are able to see it for what it is: As much a cultural icon of the US as the Beach Boys and John Wayne.

The only people who have a problem with the General Lee Charger are, in a word, racists.

The rest of us who have a brain are able to see it for what it is: As much a cultural icon of the US as the Beach Boys and John Wayne.

...aside from the ridiculous and unneeded addition of a symbol to the top of the car which speaks of a time in our past when about 10% of our current population (much higher in those days) was looked at as something less than human and could be bartered and sold as property. I saw the still above of the General Lee with the stars & bars (intentionally left non-capitalized) emblazoned across the top and cringed. It's an unnecessary symbol of a time we would all be better off remembering only as a dark point in our country's past and leaving it as that. To celebrate it is insulting not only to the aforementioned 10% of our population, but also to those who can see the symbolism it carries and can understand the distaste they may possess for it.

Saying that people who have a problem with it are racists is akin to calling the cities of Austin or San Francisco homophobic, or citing Israel as anti-Semitic. It's a poor comparison and one which raises many flags about your own beliefs and rationale behind posting. If you're going to argue with something, find some logic which will not make you look like a complete douche. As it stands, you're as misguided and ridiculous as the African-American in Asheville, North Carolina, who salutes the Confederacy every day, and I hope that other people in this forum will join me in chastising you for putting forth such a demeaning opinion.

And where was this outrage when the Dukes of Hazard movie was released?

Represented in the suspicion that the audiences were probably less colorful than a sheet of unlined notebook paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.