Jalopnik: America's Top Ten Worst Driving Cities

It's an experience to drive anywhere in Jersey, really; a bizarre mix of defensive and aggrodriving.

Boston: only the strong survive.

Boston: only the strong survive.
Which is why you left.

Oh_Snap-s640x480-112215.jpg

I'm a bit surprised San Francisco isn't higher on the list. I try to avoid driving there whenever possible. The few times I have, were an exercise in abject terror.

.....driving there is still slightly less scary than the public transportation though. At least with driving, you have somewhat of an idea of what to expect. And less of a risk of direct contact with the crazies.

Surprised Boston didn't make it. Even if you exclude idiot drivers it's a big construction maze a lot of the time.
Boston isn't that bad, you just have to be aggressive to get around the lane hogs.

That said, Hartford is only on there because everyone that drives through it gets shot.

San Francisco is bad due to the attitudes of the residents thus you get a lot more food traffic and bicyclists. Also there is a certain ethnicity that doesn't help the city's cause. I don't like to be racist, but in this case, its really true.

That said, I like driving in San Fran just for the challenge of hills, yuppies, and surprises.

Oh puhhleeeze. None of them would last a SECOND in Manhattan cab traffic.

Been there twice. Yawn. :mrgreen: This is me tempting fate btw; I'm going back there in two weeks' time.

Been there twice. Yawn. :mrgreen: This is me tempting fate btw; I'm going back there in two weeks' time.
Hahah give me a holler I'll bring popcorn :p

I really don't understand all that talk of Boston being difficult to drive in, the street layout is fairly similar to Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn and aggression level seems less than most here as well. In fact I was the fastest most aggressive car there when I drove.

Baltimore was not that bad, better off using the bus in the middle of the city anyways... Richmond is horrible, people love to walk right in front of you... I gave a black chick a nice love tap, I was quite pissed off man. People from Jersey really cannot drive though, every time I see them down here in Florida... They hold up traffic like a mofo.

San Francisco is bad due to the attitudes of the residents thus you get a lot more food traffic and bicyclists. Also there is a certain ethnicity that doesn't help the city's cause. I don't like to be racist, but in this case, its really true.

That said, I like driving in San Fran just for the challenge of hills, yuppies, and surprises.

It's that certain ethnicity that causes traffic to be bad here too, though it obviously isn't as bad as up there. I'm part of that certain ethnicity and it scares me.

Baltimore was not that bad, better off using the bus in the middle of the city anyways... Richmond is horrible, people love to walk right in front of you... I gave a black chick a nice love tap, I was quite pissed off man. People from Jersey really cannot drive though, every time I see them down here in Florida... They hold up traffic like a mofo.

Weirdly, every time I see Florida cars up here they're going speed limit -10 or so. :p Maybe it's just the old people that come up to the north.

Weirdly, every time I see Florida cars up here they're going speed limit -10 or so. :p Maybe it's just the old people that come up to the north.

Maybe, there are a lot of retired people and tourists... From Ontario... Yeah, they love to drive slow. The retired loves site seeing... On I-65.:|

So in the city with the worst drivers in the USA happen about 88 % more accidents, than average?

I have to salute you on that. In the worst drivers' city in Germany, Kaufbeuren, they only manage to get 40 % above average :D

Atlanta by far the worst i have driven in.
Atlanta is a piece of cake compared to San Francisco. I never found Atlanta that bad. Lots of cars, but not as bad as Birmingham, AL. San Francisco is by far worse in terms of the amount of traffic and the skill level of 90% of those drivers.

Atlanta is a piece of cake compared to San Francisco. I never found Atlanta that bad. Lots of cars, but not as bad as Birmingham, AL. San Francisco is by far worse in terms of the amount of traffic and the skill level of 90% of those drivers.

I agree. I've gotten into more close calls in nor-cal than I have in parts of LA and san diego.

Big problem zone: 580 and 80 split off the 580 west. So many fucking idiots realizing that they're going to be on the wrong freeway and merge without signaling.

That said, by far the worst accident I've ever seen was on the 5, near North LA (coming close to the exit for the 14/antelope fwy). Small toyota behind a big toyota SUV and in front of a Ford expedition. Toyota SUV was at a standstill, small toyota wasn't paying attention, slams into the SUV's rear. Then it rolls back and smashes into the front of the Ford. Both hood and trunk were crunched.

I'm surprised Los Angeles proper didn't make the list and yet Glendale? That suburb really doesn't have a strong reputation for being severly accident prone from what I know. Philadelphia I've lived in for 3 years and I agree the drivers are horrible and random over there. San Fran is a city not meant for cars, driving stick among those steep hills is even worse and leads to much clutch burning. Washington DC I agree sucks for driving, but I wouldn't rank it among the 10 worst.