US of A Presidential Elections 2012

Yep. McConnell said even ahead of the speech that they'll just disagree with him. I'm not sure how much more blatantly obstructionist you can get.

And that's the genius of what the GOP is doing right now. They fuck shit up, and then Obama gets blamed, because he doesn't and won't ever call them on it. And because your average voter can't think for themselves in this god-forsaken country, they're only hearing the shrill screaming of conservatives and think this is all Obama's fault. At this point, the GOP can literally get away with whatever shenanigans they want without any recourse.

Indeed. It's absolutely genius...they get what they want because, as a collective, we're just too damn stupid/uninterested in the politics of our country to give a damn. It's a crying shame IMO.

I've been following these sorts of things since the 2004 election and can I just say:

THANK YOU!!

No country (and there are quite a few) is going down in flames quite like yours, with so many cameras pointing at so many hilarious, screaming people. It's possibly the most entertaining story ever. So again, thank you. I'll continue to watch with great delight. The whole thing is a bit like Louis CK's show. Just gets worse and worse and more awkward and unbelieveable and worse.

"So Governour, how do you feel about the 234 people that have been executed during your time as governour [...]?"
Biggest Applause of the night. Just for stating that fact/question. How is that not better than any fictional movie? Fucking awesome.

Has this been posted yet?
EnInhh.jpg

Probably, but Jack Johnson thinks John Jackson should shut the hell up.

PS: Don't worry, you can have your Schadenfreude soon enough. Our elections are going to be weird. Even for Germans.

Last edited:
I wouldn't dream of wanting to convict any members of Congress for treason, but I am more and more sure what they're doing is just that.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904836104576558422839279558.html

Perhaps the most striking statement at last night's Republican presidential debate came not from Rick Perry or Mitt Romney but from the audience, which applauded the preface of one of moderator Brian Williams's questions. Here's how it looked in the transcript:

Williams: Governor Perry, a question about Texas. Your state has executed 234 death row inmates, more than any other governor in modern times. Have you . . .
(APPLAUSE)
Have you struggled to sleep at night with the idea that any one of those might have been innocent?

Perry answered: "No sir," pointed out that death-row convicts are entitled to extensive appeals, and crisply declared: "In the state of Texas, if you come into our state and you kill one of our children, you kill a police officer, you're involved with another crime and you kill one of our citizens, you will face the ultimate justice."

Blogger E.D. Kain adds: "When Perry is asked about the two-hundred and thirty some people he's executed on death row during his governorship, the audience bursts into applause. Torture, war, and death, and this is the 'pro-life' party. I submit to you that this moment is perhaps the most telling since George W. Bush left office; that the modern Republican party is not only intellectually bankrupt, but morally bankrupt as well."
I think that article gives conservatives too much credit in saying there's something beneath them cheering for blood. I think they are literally cheering for people they don't like dying.

I'm disappointed Brian Williams didn't press the issue and imply that some of those might have been innocent, because it let Perry run with his "I'm always right" schtick that he pushes whenever it comes up.

I wouldn't dream of wanting to convict any members of Congress for treason, but I am more and more sure what they're doing is just that.
There are certainly a large number of legislators actively undermining the government, just so they can say, "Look how bad government is!" Then, of course, they can turn around and hobble government even more. It doesn't just happen at the Federal level, but at the state level as well. For example, when my state (Kansas) started having budget problems due to the recession a couple years ago, the predominantly Republican legislature and Gov. Brownback sharply cut spending (rolled back university funding 10-15%, chopped up the state unemployment agency, you know, nothing important :?). Those cuts, combined with a couple months of tax revenue that beat projections, have actually produced a budget surplus. So what does Brownback think we should do with that surplus? Restore university funding? Improve our terrible communications infrastructure? Re-hire all those state employees he fired? Hell no! Let's cut taxes!

Does that mean that someone is going to resurrect Richard Nixon in time for the elections and he'll win? :lol:
Actually, it's sort of sad you bring that up. Nixon couldn't even win the primary; every one of the current candidates is way further right than he was and crazy is what wins Republican primaries.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904836104576558422839279558.html

I think that article gives conservatives too much credit in saying there's something beneath them cheering for blood. I think they are literally cheering for people they don't like dying.

I'm disappointed Brian Williams didn't press the issue and imply that some of those might have been innocent, because it let Perry run with his "I'm always right" schtick that he pushes whenever it comes up.

Very much this. Williams is a wuss for not pushing the issue, but I think the corporate puppet masters have him lynched if he did.

Does that mean that someone is going to resurrect Richard Nixon in time for the elections and he'll win? :lol:

Only if he has the headless body of Spiro Agnew.

Actually, it's sort of sad you bring that up. Nixon couldn't even win the primary; every one of the current candidates is way further right than he was and crazy is what wins Republican primaries.

The Republican party and the term "conservative" have changed since then.

The Republican party and the term "conservative" have changed since then.
That lesbian vampire on CBS or whatever usually describes herself as almost entirely agreeing with Eisenhover policy. Funny.

(I'm sure she don't agree on Eisenhovers crusade on morally bankrupt people, but that's a different thing.)

As for Spiro Agnew, how about some spoonerism?

Peck Rirry. Paun Rol. Bachelle Michman. Parah Salin. Pam Tiwlenty. Huck Mikabee. Orack Babama.

Personally, I think Orack Babama is best. That, and Virnold Anick. And Sathew Mantos. And Badediah Jertlet.

And that's the genius of what the GOP is doing right now. They fuck shit up, and then Obama gets blamed, because he doesn't and won't ever call them on it. And because your average voter can't think for themselves in this god-forsaken country, they're only hearing the shrill screaming of conservatives and think this is all Obama's fault. At this point, the GOP can literally get away with whatever shenanigans they want without any recourse.

Kinda like how folks won't hold the Democrats and the President accountable after 3 years in office, 2 of which they had complete control of Congress. Talk about a free ride totally divorced from reality.

The good news is, only the diehard liberals -- which would rather see America go down the toilet that admit their policies were a total failure -- actually believe that kind of stuff anymore.

Steve

Kinda like how folks won't hold the Democrats and the President accountable after 3 years in office, 2 of which they had complete control of Congress. Talk about a free ride totally divorced from reality.

The good news is, only the diehard liberals -- which would rather see America go down the toilet that admit their policies were a total failure -- actually believe that kind of stuff anymore.

Steve

Kinda like how no folks won't ever hold the Republicans in Congress responsible for their blatantly obstructionist approach to legislation and Obama even when Obama is being so conciliatory to the Republicans, he starts losing votes from his own party.

The bad news is, more than just diehard Republicans refuse to see that.

Steve
Get rid of midterms, and you might see a president DOING shit. Heck, he's had two years to do stuff? Two years is not enough, you can't do shit in two years.

The good news is, I hope, that most Americans will see that most politicians from both parties, are fucking morons.

This actually proves my point quite eloquently. Well done.

The diehard tea partyers in Congress literally said "bring it on" when faced with a default during the debt ceiling debate. They openly called for America, on national news, to go down the proverbial toilet if they didn't get exactly what they wanted. By any measure, they blatantly held the country's credit rating and what little financial stability we had hostage, just to make a point.

And you say the fault is with liberals.

Last edited:

So the way to safe America is to Tax Regan...

I LIKE IT

I gotta say this thread is comedy gold.

From Level's complete lack of current events knowledge to badbowties mooching off his parents insurance because of changes in the healthcare law and alaskarat who lives in Alaska the state, that with the Exception of New Mexico and Mississippi, depends more on the Federal gov't for support then any other state in the Union.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/266.html

And that data is just from 2005 I bet it is worse now.

Here it is in graphical form.

tax.jpg

Alaska couldn't function as a state without a combination of the Permanent fund and the feds subsidizing the state.

Last edited: