"Keep it in your pants!" or "Why breed"

Olds442

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lidrun1229,0,6170927.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

First off, I am not a bigot. If you want to pump out kids like bunnies be my guest but at least be able to provide for them.

The father in this story was interviewed on TV and could not speak a word of english. His wife was popping out kid #3 and he left his 4 yr old and 2 yr old with his cousin who let the 2yr old get drunk. The father is a factory worker and might be a real nice guy, but does he need to be knocking up his wife every other year?

This lead me to ask:
1. Can he provide a home for his family where they are without want?
2. Will he become bitter in later years for having to struggle?
3. What makes people in this situation continue to have children when they can't afford them?

In times gone by, having kids on a farm was to ensure that the farm will continue to have farmhands. People lived off the land. Most of the time this is no longer the case.

Mel Gibson has umpteen kids because he doesn't believe in contraception. He can afford them. George Forman has umpteen kids (all named George) because he wants to. He can afford them.

So what's the answer?

^ More the latter, but don't hold me to it. Even in religion where you say you are not to spill the seed, don't you have a moral obligation to not bring kids into the world when you cannot properly provide for them? Would god (if you believe in one) approve of bringing a child forth when it will live in poverty and go hungry?
Seems selfish. Just to satisfy ones lust / love?

Our church has no say in the use of contraceptives, the decision is up to the couple and God. We do believe that bringing children into this world is a part of God's Plan, but only if we can provide for them.

ALOT of people have children when they shouldn't or can't afford to or don't necessarily want to have them all because of being irresponsible.

I know family members, people in my own community, celebs and this "genius" in the story are all ppl that were irresponsible and shouldn't have had kids.

Alot of societys problems would not arise if people took some personal responsibility, having a kid is a mistake that can't be un-done. When the child is yours, born, you have a lifetime responsiblility unless you give it up for adoption.

Adoption is a good way to go, there are tons of good families that could take care of a child waiting to adopt, but not many people put up.

Is that a fact? :? :shock:

I thought that ppl dont want to adopt, if that is the case then think of how better things would be if children are raised by parents that want them, have money to take care of them and have a certain level of intellingence and maturity.

Kids would group up better and not repeat the mess that their parents did, join gangs etc. It is a simple way of looking at it but I think alot of problems in society stem from having children at the wrong time.

but then what I don't understand is contraceptives are cheap enough for most people to afford them... why not use it?

andyhui01 said:
but then what I don't understand is contraceptives are cheap enough for most people to afford them... why not use it?

To quote two of my "reasonable" cousins in Puerto Rico,

My female cousin about not using a condom, "My boyfriend pulls out." I say, what if you get pregnant, she literally said, "Meh".

My male cousin about not using a condom, "I don't like the feel"

I have a cousin here in NY that "thought" his girlfriend was on the pill.

Talk about irresponsibility. :thumbsdown: :? I wish they were neutered.

cvg said:
Our church has no say in the use of contraceptives, the decision is up to the couple and God. We do believe that bringing children into this world is a part of God's Plan, but only if we can provide for them.

you know where you can put your entire church? I'll give you two tries.

Seriously.. how can one make up his life because of "God" and "the church"

:wall:

I'm sorry, did somebody say something? I thought I heard a 17 year-old know-it-all trying to start a flamewar...

Everyone should be sterilized at birth until they can prove they can provide for a child and are stable enough to raise a child. Think of all the problems this would solve.... :think:

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
Everyone should be sterilized at birth until they can prove they can provide for a child and are stable enough to raise a child. Think of all the problems this would solve.... :think:

That would please me in many ways. No more abortions or woman getting pregnant to "trap" the father or rape victims having to be pregnant with the rapists child etc etc etc.

Somehow though, Im sure someone would see how it infinges on our personal rights, like the right to have a kid you can't afford, the right to have a kid and beat it, the right to neglect a child and watch it grow up messed up etc etc.