Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I don't think anyone will be paying MSRP for a GM SUV...

That's the only redeeming feature. These things will roll off the assembly line with wads of hundred dollar bills tied to the hood.

Yeah, rule of thumb is that you can almost always get at least 15% off a GM, Ford or Mopar MSRP due to incentives, bargaining, dealer desperation, etc. GM discounts can go even more than the rest at times - especially at year end.

Edit:

Last edited:
A friend of mine pointed this out to me the other day.....

Lets say you want a mid-size family SUV. The new Chevy Blazer seems attractive. You go to the builder and start checking boxes. Definitely need the 3.6L V6 and AWD. Loaded trim, leather seats, drivers aids, sunroof, an upgrade audio system, wireless charging etc. We're up to $52k.

Orrrrrrrr a Chevy Blazer with Chevy plastic and Chevy HMI/UX. Keep in mind, some of the "no options" packages above already come with a lot of whats optional on the Blazer. And many of the SUVs have smaller 4cyl turbo motors, but pretty much all of those are better than the GM High Feature V6. Really seems like Chevy missed the mark pricing this one.

The Ford Edge ST is also an option and is $10k cheaper. Comes with Bang and Oluffsen and as Rick Hamilton will vouch, they are some bangin and oluffsening speakers

Yeah, rule of thumb is that you can almost always get 15% off a GM, Ford or Mopar MSRP due to incentives, bargaining, dealer desperation, etc.

Yup, just pulled up a random local dealer. Here's a $52k Blazer that hasn't even been delivered yet and its already marked down to $47k
https://www.feldmanchevyofnovi.com/...t-Blazer-AWD_Premier-New_Hudson-MI/3374572773

The Ford Edge ST is also an option and is $10k cheaper. Comes with Bang and Oluffsen and as Rick Hamilton will vouch, they are some bangin and oluffsening speakers

Ehhh, agree to disagree regarding the Edge B&O system, but yeah, $10k cheaper fully loaded before incentive is pretty significant.

Yup, just pulled up a random local dealer. Here's a $52k Blazer that hasn't even been delivered yet and its already marked down to $47k
https://www.feldmanchevyofnovi.com/...t-Blazer-AWD_Premier-New_Hudson-MI/3374572773

Gets worse if they start having to incentivize the Blazer like they're having to do to the Silverado.

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 15.18.51.png

The stuff from last model year being cleared out with big incentives isn't surprising - but look at what they're doing for 2019s, current model year vehicles!

Yup. And as far as all the luxo-imports go, I found a few 2018 Q5s with $3k markdowns, but not surprisingly nothing for 2019s.

Keep in mind a Porsche Macan (Porsche anything) with no options really means no options. I haven’t checked the configurator lately, but I’d be willing to bet even the rear wiper would be a cost option (as it is on Caymans and 911s).

Keep in mind a Porsche Macan (Porsche anything) with no options really means no options. I haven’t checked the configurator lately, but I’d be willing to bet even the rear wiper would be a cost option (as it is on Caymans and 911s).
Rear wiper is standard on the Macan, but you're right there. I've spent a decent amount of time in a base spec 2.0L Macan and its not great..... Though it still felt better than the last GM High Feature V6 car I drove.

The early HUDs didn't really display any information other than a targeting reticle, these early HUDs were called Reflector Sights; as they got more advanced, analog systems would move the reticle based on the plane's maneuvering to help lead the target, called Gyro Sights. By the Korean war and the F-86 Saber, a small radar would accurately get rounds on the target (Radar Gunsight) . By the third generation of jet fighters, we were using a multifunction HUD as we know it today.

The early HUDs didn't really display any information other than a targeting reticle, these early HUDs were called Reflector Sights; as they got more advanced, analog systems would move the reticle based on the plane's maneuvering to help lead the target, called Gyro Sights. By the Korean war and the F-86 Saber, a small radar would accurately get rounds on the target (Radar Gunsight) . By the third generation of jet fighters, we were using a multifunction HUD as we know it today.
Some pretty great history on GM's use of HUDs at Autos of Interest.
http://autosofinterest.com/2015/03/16/general-motors-head-up-display-history/
eY1z77T.jpg

I've never driven a car with HUD, anybody know what is the focal distance? In an airplane HUD, it is >30m, so infinity for all intents and purposes, but to do that you need a collimated display.

I've driven a couple cars with a HUD, I think it's more of a novelty to be honest since the focal length is pretty much where the windscreen is. If I have a car with a HUD, I'd rather it display on it's own glass than on the windshield; there are so many shitty construction trucks around here that I can't go a year without my glass getting chipped or cracked, the last thing I need is to up the expense of a new windshield.

I've driven a few with HUD as well. It's not revelatory, but in the cars I did drive it with (C7, 4-series) they were pretty cool. I think it makes more sense in a balls to the wall sports car (C7) than it does a not-really sports car (4-series).

Personally I think its a gimmick. Whenever I get into a car with a HUD, I instantly turn it off.

I do like the HUD shift lights in the GT350 though.

The main thing I would want from a HUD would be navigation prompts, speed and shifting are not that important while street driving but not having to look down or to the side to see your next turn is rather nice.

The main thing I would want from a HUD would be navigation prompts, speed and shifting are not that important while street driving but not having to look down or to the side to see your next turn is rather nice.
It's been a while, but I believe both HUDs I experienced had the navigation details inlcuded. I can't rightly remember.

It’s the brand loyalty that’ll sell them. There’s a Chevy dealer in so many rural towns where ford and Chrysler are not let alone an euro brand. It doesn’t have to be good as long as it marketed to pull on “heritage” and the feeling that you’re a tough but smart person for buying it.