Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I have no idea why anyone would need something bigger than the Jeep unless they needed a 3rd row or towed a lot.

Because your Jeep is really a four seater at best and there's not actually all that much room behind the rear seats? It's not that much bigger inside than my 4Runner and I've run into internal cargo capacity issues more than once even though I have more cargo capacity than you do (at the expense of passenger space). If I recall correctly, I have 79 cubic feet with my seats folded and you have 72.

I don't need a third row and I don't tow a lot, but I can more than understand why one would need more cargo space. Or be able to haul three adults in the back row. This is why so many people buy Tahoes, Yukons and their related Escalade version.

Yeah I suppose.

When it gets warmer in the Frozen Northeast ("Always winter, never Christmas.") go out to a soccer field. Observe the parents trying to cram soccer gear and children into a four place SUV of the older 4Runner/Grand Cherokee class. It's often an exercise in sardine can packing.

Edit: Just remembered: If Scarface's GTO is repaired today, we're going to be taking our visitors shooting.

The 4R is going to be full of guns, and it's going to be a tight fit - so much so that I've removed my truck toolkit and the normal IT gear I carry around in it to make room. A Yukon or H2 would definitely be more easily able to pack in all the gun cases, ammo, etc., than my 4R can. If you are an avid shooter, that could be an argument for it right there.

the H2 can tow 3.7 tons :eek:
did not expect that...

and my parents have the hardest time finding a car that can tow 2 tons...

did not expect that...

I have a picture for you when I get back to my desk later this morning, then.

In the interim, go look at what my 2000 4Runner can tow. :D

Edit: Just remembered: If Scarface's GTO is repaired today, we're going to be taking our visitors shooting.

The 4R is going to be full of guns, and it's going to be a tight fit - so much so that I've removed my truck toolkit and the normal IT gear I carry around in it to make room. A Yukon or H2 would definitely be more easily able to pack in all the gun cases, ammo, etc., than my 4R can. If you are an avid shooter, that could be an argument for it right there.
I've never really had an issue with that but I also never have more than one passenger so long gun cases can go in the back seat. Now, transporting long guns in the Miata, that was interesting - they had to go in the passenger seat next to me.

did not expect that...

Even the Grand Cherokee V8 can tow 3.2 tons.

I've never really had an issue with that but I also never have more than one passenger so long gun cases can go in the back seat. Now, transporting long guns in the Miata, that was interesting - they had to go in the passenger seat next to me.

Some of us have firearms or cases long enough that they don’t fit in the back sideways and flat, if at all.

Example? I can fit a 50" rifle easily in my back seat. What the heck is longer than that?

To name just one: 21” barrel heavy barrel FAL with the Magpul PRS2 stock and the extended/long muzzle device in a hard case including bipod, grip pod, multiple magazines, etc. The hard case does not fit flat on the rear seat of anything not full-size/large.

That's not very long, maybe 45"? Not sure why you can't lay that across the back seats but whatever. I've hauled a lot of gear to the range in my cars and the only time i needed a bigger vehicle was when I needed to transport a VTAC wall, which called for a truck.

Anyways, the H2 also drives like shit so there's that lol

That's not very long, maybe 45"? Not sure why you can't lay that across the back seats but whatever. I've hauled a lot of gear to the range in my cars and the only time i needed a bigger vehicle was when I needed to transport a VTAC wall, which called for a truck.

Anyways, the H2 also drives like shit so there's that lol

You are forgetting the rifle has other stuff in the hard case with it - not unlike this, only longer:

Pelican-gun-case-4.jpg

There are also double rifle cases and standard Pelican cases that won’t fit either.

As for driving, yeah, the H2 probably isn’t the best, but it will haul a lot of stuff around. And let’s face it, most people are uninterested as to how a vehicle drives beyond certain minimums. See: All the people buying ecocrapboxen and FWD-only crossoverfails.

I will never understand why anyone that doesn't go off road would ever need a 4WD vehicle at all. Unless you plow snow, of course.

Try making it through a mountain winter sometime. Last season I watched someone drive their passenger car in the ruts left by larger vehicles, and end up high-centered on the heavy snow with all four wheels off the ground. I had to drag the car like a sled until we got to where the snow wasn't as deep and they could resume driving under their own power. Even with snow tires, there's limits to what a standard car can do. The Xterra churned through all that while dragging a VW Passat at the end of a strap without breaking a sweat.

It was meant as sarcasm.

You didn't use the sarcasm font.

Yeah, it is my bad.

did not expect that...

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

We don't have that problem. :D We also don't have too many slow caravans on the big freeways. I wonder why that is.. :p

IMG_0779.jpg

This showed up at dinner tonight. It wasn’t as big as Level seems to think it was - about the length of the 4R, actually.